If you care about Uconn basketball | Page 5 | The Boneyard

If you care about Uconn basketball

Reaction Score
Yes. And to say there is only a couple more wins on the schedule is stupid, really stupid

You do realize we just lost by 35 to Arkansas and gutted out an OT win vs 1-4 Columbia who basically gave us the game and only slightly out-sucked us.

How many more guaranteed wins are you seeing on the schedule?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
But that scenario is saying that the next several games are similar to these last 2. What would be the harm in having an interim at that point? We would already be at rock bottom. This doesn't look or play like a team that particularly likes their coach anyways.

My bad on Bob instead of Ben though. That's not a great look on my part.

Why? An innocent mistake. Made me chuckle.

I don't know how they feel about him. I don't think they'd play better for one of our assistants, who are also part of the problem. I just don't see the upside to firing him in a couple of weeks. Clearly none of our assistants is John Wooden in hiding. And I don't think any of them would inspire them more than Ollie does, however much or little that is.

I thought with the hiring of good recruiters in Kill and Chill, we could turn things around. And I do think recruiting has improved. If only this team could play with effort for 40 minutes and look like they'd actually practiced some plays.

Reaction Score
I'd like to think so. If we were in a real conference I'd have much less concern.

Honestly I think the only thing our current situation prevents is us ascending to that Duke/Kansas/UNC level of blue blood, which it looked like we were knocking on the door of a few years ago. I don't see why we can't do what Nova/Gonzaga/Wichita have been doing, provided we don't let 3 bad years become 10.

Reaction Score
Why? An innocent mistake. Made me chuckle.

I don't know how they feel about him. I don't think they'd play better for one of our assistants, who are also part of the problem. I just don't see the upside to firing him in a couple of weeks. Clearly none of our assistants is John Wooden in hiding. And I don't think any of them would inspire them more than Ollie does, however much or little that is.

I thought with the hiring of good recruiters in Kill and Chill, we could turn things around. And I do think recruiting has improved. If only this team could play with effort for 40 minutes and look like they'd actually practiced some plays.

It's less about who or what the interim coach is and more about who would be gone at that point and under those circumstances. At that point, I don't see how keeping KO on as a lame duck thru the season helps anybody involved, including KO. It happens in college football fairly regularly, and those teams don't fall apart any worse than they already were.

Reaction Score
NO, I am not listening to a word ollie says, but at some poing pride has to take over and players like JA and the other upper classmen will take over.
The problem is, it sort of feels like the players have checked out, sort of like the 4-5 players that transferred out at the end of last season. When the coach looks so disengaged and dejected it’s kind a hard for the players to feel motivated and engaged. The mood and message should comes from the top.

Reaction Score
I am beginning to accept that Ollie is UConn’s Mike Davis. Davis was an NCAA runner up at Indiana in his 2nd season with Bobby Knight’s players, but was never able to put anything together with his own recruits and own system. Davis was fired after his 6th year after a couple of early NCAA exits and an NIT.
Are you saying Kevin Ollie has a system?

Reaction Score
It's less about who or what the interim coach is and more about who would be gone at that point and under those circumstances. At that point, I don't see how keeping KO on as a lame duck thru the season helps anybody involved, including KO. It happens in college football fairly regularly, and those teams don't fall apart any worse than they already were.
Unless you plan on hiring an unemployed coach or someone currently on the staff, I don't see any reason to make the move midseason. Unless you want to completely tear down the program and start all over again with a new coach and entirely new team. To me, there's something to be said for bringing some guys back and I'd like to see some of these players stay around post-KO

Reaction Score
Already done – did it after the Arkansas game.

I badly wanted Ollie to be the guy for us, for so many reasons. Obviously for the program, and obviously because I love the continuity of having one of our own as head coach, but also for Calhoun's legacy. So many great coaches have failed when picking a successor, and I wanted Calhoun to be different.

He wasn't. KO is terrible, and he's got to go. I've let Benedict and Herbst know my thoughts, as have my cousins (none of whom renewed their season tix for this year).
Do you know his email address?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
In another similar thread, where I commented that I am a UConn fan first and want KO to succeed, but his teams are inconsistent, inexplicably on D, someone asked if I would give up the 2014 NC. A non-issue. Of course not. But the program can’t live off of that, and hasn’t. I’ve been a fan for a crazy long time, Hugh Greer days, and the coaching isn’t evident. Yes he has this year to prove he can do it, and I hope he shows us he can, but he’s looking as inept as Dom Perno did when we went into the Big East. I will still watch and go to games, but you have to be terribly near-sighted not to know how uncooached Ollie’s teams look all too often. I think the job is still attractive enough to get interest from good mid-level coaches as Calhoun was if KO doesn’t earn another year.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Do you know his email address?

Nobody, under any circumstances, is to post contact information for anyone. Use google, but don’t post the info here.

Last edited:

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Interesting to me that our best player hasn’t been a leader since Shabazz (someone who JC played a large part in grooming). Since 2014 our best players have lacked the leadership qualities they needed to make their teammates thrive. Boat in 2015, Hamilton, Adams. That starts from the top.
I don't agree with respect to Boat. I think he bled blue all the way. And I think he expressed that by giving 100% and then some on the floor at all times. Never saw him slacking. You could see the frustration though, with his teammates who often seemed like their heads were 'in the dark". Often just no fire in the others. That falls on the coach. I know KO has had a lot to overcome but he just looks like he doesn't believe anymore. It shows on him and it shows on his players with few exceptions. Some players last night (Diarra, AA, CV and at one point Polley) looked like even they were fed up with the lackluster effort. Others seem to go hot and cold with effort. Certainly can't be accused of being over aggressive. Very disappointing and KO does look like he is lost and playing out the string. No fire and no faith; just sadness and occasional anger. Very, very disappointing and I don't enjoy commenting this way one bit. Kids are looking for a leader. You can't pin that on the kids, it starts with the HC who has to take ownership of motivation and make it work. I have tried to be patient and hopeful but so many things are so visible. Either the coach and team will change or the team including the coach will be changed.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Lets everyone share all the emails sent to athletic director David Benedict and school president Susan Herbst here to help others craft similar messages.

If Tennessee fans can stop a Football coach hire UConn fans can certainly get KO fired, if that is the intent of emailing, writing, calling athletic director David Benedict and school president Susan Herbst.

GO!

Reaction Score
JA isnt a leader

I think it’s time to shift the lineup. JA continues to come out flat. I would start AA and CV and then have JA come off the bench as that quality 6th man - providing the burst of energy. Let the game catch up to him rather than waiting for him to catch up to the game.

Reaction Score
Not looking for any arguments and pissing matches, I'm done. If you at all care about Uconn basketball and ever want the program to be relevant again I urge you to email, write, call athletic director David Benedict and school president Susan Herbst.

I've beaten this horse dead for the past year and I'm so upset about what's happened that it makes me phyically ill. Kevin Ollie is so far in over his head and isn't the guy many of you think he is. If you care about Uconn basketball you cannot accept this, let the people who run this school know the coach needs to be fired. You may not think it has an effect but it can only help. I won't be posting nearly as much anymore because it angers me too much. I'll be back once Ollie is no longer our coach.
Nah I'm good, I care about UConn basketball enough to watch the games be loyal to the team and understand when its early in a season with 7 newcomers and no one inside over 6'9".

Who is the replacement you seek?

Reaction Score
The team doesn't magically learn how to play basketball going back to the Big East. They just get beat easier. UCONN is struggling with the Columbia's of the world right now.
That's correct. We won't magically learn how to play better if Ollie is still the coach. However, if admin stays with Ollie, then maybe, just maybe recruiting will get better if we are back in the Big East.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Lets everyone share all the emails sent to athletic director David Benedict and school president Susan Herbst here to help others craft similar messages.

If Tennessee fans can stop a Football coach hire UConn fans can certainly get KO fired, if that is the intent of emailing, writing, calling athletic director David Benedict and school president Susan Herbst.

GO!

I’ll point out the obvious that almost losing to Columbia is a little different than allegedly aiding and abetting a kiddy diddler.

Reaction Score
You do realize we just lost by 35 to Arkansas and gutted out an OT win vs 1-4 Columbia who basically gave us the game and only slightly out-sucked us.

How many more guaranteed wins are you seeing on the schedule?
You do realize they are 5-2 and beat Oregon in Portland? You do realize they played with 6 guys last year and went 16-17? You do realize that was the one season Ollie won less than 20 games?

To say they win a couple more games is something I expect to hear from Skip Bayless or First Take, not from people with a brain.

Are they going to go to the Sweet 16? No. Are they going to go 7-23? F NO

My god some people just have no idea what they are talking about.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The team doesn't magically learn how to play basketball going back to the Big East. They just get beat easier. UCONN is struggling with the Columbia's of the world right now.
Recruiting would pick up in the Big East and with a new coach.

Reaction Score
I think the obvious move here is waiting till the offseason to make a decision.

It's November; firing him now is effectively and needlessly torpedoing the season before it really begins.

I do trust Benedict here.

Reaction Score
Clearly there is no one on the floor that is the type of leader we need. Generally, it works best from your PG (Adams), best player (Larrier) or a kid that is a tireless defender (don't have one yet).

KO shares in that lack.

Adams and Larrier are our two best players. Neither has developed at the leadership or basketball rate we could reasonably expect. Adams might want to be a leader but he slacks off and teammates see that. Larrier might have that quality deep within but he's so possessed thinking about his next possession that he doesn't give us all he has on D and needs so much work on his handle and decision making that he is lost in his own nightmare, blocking any germination of leadership. As much as these two do give us, I expect more from both every night and as paying fans, students and alums we deserve it.

Cannot expect leadership from our many frosh and having no leader to feed from hinders their development in this regard.

Seems to me KO is coaching these kids as if they are NBA players, that is men, not kids. How else to explain them skating without effort. KO gives us the boilerplate "These kids don't quit." BS, I say. They did 2nd half Mich. St. and the entire Ark. game, clearly. Kids need consistent expectations, accountability, responsibility and hard, very hard lessons in practice and games. When required, they need to be benched or called out to get a point through their developing hoop skulls. It has to be drastic moment to be learned. JC was such a great example of how a great leader can develop great leaders. KO: Pay it forward, dude!

Adams and Larrier have to be there every game vs. good opponents and as long as KO lets them and others skate so will the team slip and fall.

Reaction Score
I do trust Benedict here.

As do I. And I do not trust SH. Which is why the open AD jobs across the landscape spook me. Hopefully, the existing product handcuffs AD David Benedict just enough so that he doesn't come under real consideration for AU or UA.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Just a laughable thread that could have gone without posting, you could have just disappeared and not been such a sensationalist.

If People Left UConn Athletics Like They Leave Parties Like They Leave Facebook

Reaction Score
You do realize they are 5-2 and beat Oregon in Portland? You do realize they played with 6 guys last year and went 16-17? You do realize that was the one season Ollie won less than 20 games?

To say they win a couple more games is something I expect to hear from Skip Bayless or First Take, not from people with a brain.

Are they going to go to the Sweet 16? No. Are they going to go 7-23? F NO

My god some people just have no idea what they are talking about.
They didn’t play with 6 guys so just stop! There was a 3 game stretch or so when two of his soft recruits who later transferred out sat out, but otherwise it was an 8 man team. Yes, Larrier, Gilbert and Mamadou were lost early, but KO inexplicably left the roster with two unfilled scholarships! He deserved a mulligan due to injuries but he also shares in the blame for the lack of depth.

Reaction Score
Clearly there is no one on the floor that is the type of leader we need. Generally, it works best from your PG (Adams), best player (Larrier) or a kid that is a tireless defender (don't have one yet).

KO shares in that lack.

Adams and Larrier are our two best players. Neither has developed at the leadership or basketball rate we could reasonably expect. Adams might want to be a leader but he slacks off and teammates see that. Larrier might have that quality deep within but he's so possessed thinking about his next possession that he doesn't give us all he has on D and needs so much work on his handle and decision making that he is lost in his own nightmare, blocking any germination of leadership. As much as these two do give us, I expect more from both every night and as paying fans, students and alums we deserve it.

Cannot expect leadership from our many frosh and having no leader to feed from hinders their development in this regard.

Seems to me KO is coaching these kids as if they are NBA players, that is men, not kids. How else to explain them skating without effort. KO gives us the boilerplate "These kids don't quit." BS, I say. They did 2nd half Mich. St. and the entire Ark. game, clearly. Kids need consistent expectations, accountability, responsibility and hard, very hard lessons in practice and games. When required, they need to be benched or called out to get a point through their developing hoop skulls. It has to be drastic moment to be learned. JC was such a great example of how a great leader can develop great leaders. KO: Pay it forward, dude!

Adams and Larrier have to be there every game vs. good opponents and as long as KO lets them and others skate so will the team slip and fall.

Nobody quit against Michigan State. A much better team played perfectly for the last 10 minutes.

There is a case to be made against KO. But you'll find that you won't change anyone's mind by exaggerating it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom