If we are stuck with HCBD for 1 more season... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If we are stuck with HCBD for 1 more season...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think Diaco has to go. The team gave up after the Central Florida game. We've been outscored 116-9 the last four games, against teams with a combined 20-25 record.

Reaction Score
The history between now and 8 o'clock tonight is going to have a major bearing on what happens to Diaco or the OC. If we score 2 field goals and Tulane scores 3 touchdowns, Diaco is toast.
How prophetic...

Reaction Score
so now that you've affirmed your smart aleck cred what's your solution?
My apologies @politics. UConn doesn't have and won't find $5mill to buyout Diaco's contract. Trying to hire a good OC or DC to put on staff next season that could potentially take over is a decent idea but more than likely fools gold given our financial resources and program instability. Year 4 of Diaco for better/worse is the only writing on the wall at this point.

Reaction Score
Change for the sake of change without cutting out the malignant tumor named Diaco isn't gonna get the job done. It hasn't worked this season and it won't work next season.
I know, but I'm approaching this from DB's perspective if the board/administration flatly tell him they will in no uncertain terms pay the buyout until Jan 1, 2018 when it's $1.7M. In this scenario, DB has to try something to energize the program and the team, and that's what I'm suggesting. Of course the best option is to clean house 100% and bring in new people at every position, but there's ample evidence UConn won't pay Diaco's buyout.

The only lifeline would be what would happen contractually if he took another job? I have it on good authority from semi-connected ND people that Kelly would rehire him in a heartbeat. Now, this came before the last four weeks so who knows if that's changed, but BD is revered out there for his defense. Why? Who knows.

Reaction Score
My apologies @politics. UConn doesn't have and won't find $5mill to buyout Diaco's contract. Trying to hire a good OC or DC to put on staff next season that could potentially take over is a decent idea but more than likely fools gold given our financial resources and program instability. Year 4 of Diaco for better/worse is the only writing on the wall at this point.
Yes they will.

Reaction Score
I know, but I'm approaching this from DB's perspective if the board/administration flatly tell him they will in no uncertain terms pay the buyout until Jan 1, 2018 when it's $1.7M. In this scenario, DB has to try something to energize the program and the team, and that's what I'm suggesting. Of course the best option is to clean house 100% and bring in new people at every position, but there's ample evidence UConn won't pay Diaco's buyout.

The only lifeline would be what would happen contractually if he took another job? I have it on good authority from semi-connected ND people that Kelly would rehire him in a heartbeat. Now, this came before the last four weeks so who knows if that's changed, but BD is revered out there for his defense. Why? Who knows.
Does Kelly wear bright red pants too?

Reaction Score
having Idiaco around for another year just speaks volumes about where the athletic deaprtment is and where its going. HE's maybe the worst game manager I've ever seen and his quit on him five games ago. Yet he's still there? By keeping him, it means at least one and likely two years of recruiting are shot, no kid is going to be recruited by him and the next coach will be a months behind. The existing players already quit on the guy, what do you think they'll do. I'm guessing many will transfer out.

This is the first step toward to downgrading and eventual elimiantion of football at Uconn. they'll hire a coach for less than $1M next. The next step will be to cut scholarships.

Circling the drain...

Reaction Score

The idea that UConn won't fire a coach who more than deserves dismissal because it entered into a contract it couldn't afford to pay is just another way of telling the Power 5 that it really doesn't deserve membership in the club.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I haven't said this about anyone since Dom Perno was coaching, but HCBD must be fired. The offense is offensive and the defense is regressing. I see no hope in sticking with HCBD

Let's ponder this - what finally got Perno the boot? - Earl Kelley had a gun
Maybe ..........................................

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
The most painful goodbyes are the ones that are never said and never explained- Pinterest 2016

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I pray Bob mentions the need for Jesus in the UConn huddle.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I pray Bob mentions the need for Jesus in the UConn huddle.

upload_2016-11-26_21-46-27.png

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I don't think BD is calling the plays on offense. I got to watch him a lot today and he basically just walks up and down the sidelines and claps repeatedly. honest to god it looked like he actually did nothing.

Reaction Score
The idea that UConn won't fire a coach who more than deserves dismissal because it entered into a contract it couldn't afford to pay is just another way of telling the Power 5 that it really doesn't deserve membership in the club.
I dont disagree but theres a difference between UConn's budget and any team already in a P5, so unless theres some mystery donor that ponies up the $ to pay a majority of his buyout then Diaco, regrettably, stays put.

UConn routinely ranks in the top 5 of the country in subsidies to its Athletic Department, in 2015 27.2 million dollars went to subsidizing these sports programs, 3rd in the nation. You can't rely on government handouts from a state with a crumbling economy like Connecticut has at the present moment. P5 teams however can simply take a few million out of their conference tv deal revenue and do whatever they wish.

UConn is receiving $10 mill a yr from the old Big East but that ends in 2017. They have to be more calculated in their decision making for their Athletic programs, the state shouldn't be asked to pay for Bob's buyout.

Harford Courant - UConn Sports Subsidies
NBC Connecticut - UConn Agrees to Delay Roof Repairs at Gampel Pavilion
Cheatsheet - The 5 most valuable conferences in college sports

Reaction Score
I dont disagree but theres a difference between UConn's budget and any team already in a P5, so unless theres some mystery donor that ponies up the $ to pay a majority of his buyout then Diaco, regrettably, stays put.

UConn routinely ranks in the top 5 of the country in subsidies to its Athletic Department, in 2015 27.2 million dollars went to subsidizing these sports programs, 3rd in the nation. You can't rely on government handouts from a state with a crumbling economy like Connecticut has at the present moment. P5 teams however can simply take a few million out of their conference tv deal revenue and do whatever they wish.

UConn is receiving $10 mill a yr from the old Big East but that ends in 2017. They have to be more calculated in their decision making for their Athletic programs, the state shouldn't be asked to pay for Bob's buyout.

Harford Courant - UConn Sports Subsidies
NBC Connecticut - UConn Agrees to Delay Roof Repairs at Gampel Pavilion
Cheatsheet - The 5 most valuable conferences in college sports

Aware of all of this. Doesn't matter. He's gotta go.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Benedict' legacy hangs in th balance in the next 24. OMG.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I got to watch him a lot today and he basically just walks up and down the sidelines and claps repeatedly. honest to god it looked like he actually did nothing.
That becomes even more apparent when you look at what's going on with the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom