If we are stuck with HCBD for 1 more season... | The Boneyard

If we are stuck with HCBD for 1 more season...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If BD is given another year it's 99.9% for sure because the buyout is too high and Benedict is being told he's not allowed to make that move. If that's the case, if I'm DB that must be contingent on making wholesale coordinator changes. Every single coaching job, most explicitly the OC as you pointed out, must be on the table for full and complete change by BD under the direct supervision of DB. I agree that BD must cede all OC play calling and personnel responsibility to the coordinator. I would argue the DC job must also be under evaluation as well. If DB's hands are tied by the buyout then he must put his mark on this program elsewhere by forcing wholesale change. That way if the team still fails the only plausible explanation is Diaco, and at that point the buyout would be far less.

I'm willing to give DB the benefit of the doubt that he may not be allowed to make the HC change by the administration for financial reasons, thus we should be evaluating him based on what changes he makes elsewhere in the coaching staff.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
That's the rub. For as long as Diaco remains as head coach, we will *ALWAYS* question who is actually in charge of calling plays, game management, strategy, etc.

It's not healthy to have an OC or DC with more power/job security than the HC but I guess that is what is about to happen. Ugh.

Reaction Score
If BD is given another year it's 99.9% for sure because the buyout is too high and Benedict is being told he's not allowed to make that move. If that's the case, if I'm DB that must be contingent on making wholesale coordinator changes. Every single coaching job, most explicitly the OC as you pointed out, must be on the table for full and complete change by BD under the direct supervision of DB. I agree that BD must cede all OC play calling and personnel responsibility to the coordinator. I would argue the DC job must also be under evaluation as well. If DB's hands are tied by the buyout then he must put his mark on this program elsewhere by forcing wholesale change. That way if the team still fails the only plausible explanation is Diaco, and at that point the buyout would be far less.

I'm willing to give DB the benefit of the doubt that he may not be allowed to make the HC change by the administration for financial reasons, thus we should be evaluating him based on what changes he makes elsewhere in the coaching staff.
I think this is 100% spot on and the most likely scenario unless a big donor steps up, which is highly unlikely

Reaction Score
That's the rub. For as long as Diaco remains as head coach, we will *ALWAYS* question who is actually in charge of calling plays, game management, strategy, etc.

Go back in history on just this board alone... Why is that different than what occurred w/ RE or PP?? Always question who was making the calls, or was in the box/field, yada, yada, yada. It's what fans do.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Go back in history on just this board alone... Why is that different than what occurred w/ RE or PP?? Always question who was making the calls, or was in the box/field, yada, yada, yada. It's what fans do.

Agree. Just don't think we should purposely set ourselves up for this kind of scrutiny before the season even starts. That's the risk we run bringing him back but replacing his entire staff. Sadly, I think that's the road we're heading down though.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Just another recipe for disaster. It didn't work with Pasqualoni and it won't work with this idiot, either. Ramming some OC he doesn't want down his throat sets us up for more of the same. The current school administration was behind that move the last time when it didn't work. Why would anybody think it would work this time, especially with this Bozo the Clown?

You either fire this guy now and bite the bullet on his buyout you were stupid enough to agree to in the first place, or you consign the football program to continued bargain basement decline. It's your call, Suzy Q. and DB.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Just another recipe for disaster. It didn't work with Pasqualoni and it won't work with this idiot, either. Ramming some OC he doesn't want down his throat sets us up for more of the same. The current school administration was behind that move the last time when it didn't work. Why would anybody think it would work this time, especially with this Bozo the Clown?

You either fire this guy now and bite the bullet on his buyout you were stupid enough to agree to in the first place, or you consign the football program to continued bargain basement decline. It's your call, Suzy Q. and DB.

This is it!

Buy him out or kiss it all goodbye.

Reaction Score
I'm sure DB would love to pick up the phone and have buyout $$ on the other end. It just seems like we have a handful of "major" benefactors who have been hit up on multiple occasions and a slightly larger group of similar means who haven't been involved in the AD. That's why a poorly structured and extended buyout is/was so absurd for this University.

Reaction Score
This is it!

Buy him out or kiss it all goodbye.
It may be, but if the administration is telling DB he cannot fire Diaco, he has to do something. Continuing with the same coordinators and other coaches would be even more stupid than doing absolutely nothing and continuing with everyone we have now. Benedict must make some kind of change where he can.

Reaction Score

The history between now and 8 o'clock tonight is going to have a major bearing on what happens to Diaco or the OC. If we score 2 field goals and Tulane scores 3 touchdowns, Diaco is toast.

Reaction Score
I'm sure DB would love to pick up the phone and have buyout $$ on the other end. It just seems like we have a handful of "major" benefactors who have been hit up on multiple occasions and a slightly larger group of similar means who haven't been involved in the AD. That's why a poorly structured and extended buyout is/was so absurd for this University.

Here is the thing. If I were a big money guy that could pony up the 5 mil, what happens next? I cough up that huge amount just for them to hire another bozo?

This school has yet to even come close to hiring a mediocre HC after RE, let alone a good one. Que the trust Benedict brigade, same as the trust Warde legions.

We are in a tough spot here to say the least

Reaction Score
If BD is given another year it's 99.9% for sure because the buyout is too high and Benedict is being told he's not allowed to make that move.

And if this is the case it is proof positive Susan Herbst is not serious about making the football program better. She needs to be held accountable for this cluster if Diaco stays

Reaction Score
I guess people who do contracts for a living know this better than me but how iron-clad is that 5 million number? Seems like it would be negotiable if UConn let him know in no uncertain terms that he's not wanted. Couldn't they make him janitor at Burton/Shenkman from now until Jan. 1?

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
After Diaco gets the "Goodfellas " treatment we should shutdown the football program for a year or 2 just the cleanse the bad demons

Reaction Score
I guess people who do contracts for a living know this better than me but how iron-clad is that 5 million number? Seems like it would be negotiable if UConn let him know in no uncertain terms that he's not wanted. Couldn't they make him janitor at Burton/Shenkman from now until Jan. 1?

a 5 million dollar janitor?

Reaction Score
Hire an OC with the intention of making him head coach after you fire Diaco week 1.

Reaction Score
.. then this NEEDS to happen:
When a new offensive coordinator is named, he must be given autonomy on play calling with no interference.

But what about the defense? Because that's also a problem

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
It may be, but if the administration is telling DB he cannot fire Diaco, he has to do something. Continuing with the same coordinators and other coaches would be even more stupid than doing absolutely nothing and continuing with everyone we have now. Benedict must make some kind of change where he can.

Change for the sake of change without cutting out the malignant tumor named Diaco isn't gonna get the job done. It hasn't worked this season and it won't work next season.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
I haven't said this about anyone since Dom Perno was coaching, but HCBD must be fired. The offense is offensive and the defense is regressing. I see no hope in sticking with HCBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom