If Warde Goes, Where Should we Look? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

If Warde Goes, Where Should we Look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I spent some time looking at some of the guys who met the criteria @SAMCRO listed here:
Same profile used with Warde.., connection to football as an Associate AD at a P5, and experience running an AD.
This is one who stands out even more than Sean Lester...almost like a carbon copy of Warde...maybe Warde 2.0.
Sean Frazier AD at NIU
I had mentioned his name earlier because he was personally recommended to RU by Jim Delaney when they fired Pernetti, but after looking into his back ground he seems like someone who may fit well at UConn.
From his NIU Bio Page: (http://www.niuhuskies.com/genrel/sean_frazier_853395.html)
University of Wisconsin (2007-2013)
A former football student-athlete at the University of Alabama, Frazier has 24 years of overall experience as a director of athletics at the NCAA Division I, II and III levels, as an administrator at two Division I universities, as a coach and as a student-athlete. Prior to NIU, Frazier spent six years in senior leadership roles at the University of Wisconsin and was promoted to deputy director of athletics in 2011, Frazier's duties grew to include managing all day-to-day internal and external operations for Badger Athletics and serving as UW's "Chief of Staff" to Director of Athletics Barry Alvarez.

Frazier oversaw all fundraising and advancement activities at UW, including the annual fund, major gifts, suites and club seats, endowments, multimedia rights, ticket operations and alumni affairs. During his tenure at Wisconsin, he served as the administrator for three revenue-producing sports (football, men's basketball and men's ice hockey), providing direct support to the football program that won three consecutive Big Ten Conference Championships. Along with three Rose Bowl appearances. Frazier also served as Chair of the NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Committee in 2011.

Frazier played a lead role in raising $123 million for multiple capital projects at UW, including a $31 million hockey/swim facility, an $86 million student-athlete performance center and a $3.5 million softball indoor practice facility.

Merrimack College, Clarkson University, Manhattanville College (1999-2007)
Prior to Wisconsin, Frazier served as Director of Athletics at Merrimack College in North Andover, Mass., was the Director of Athletics and Recreation at Clarkson University in Potsdam, N.Y. and led the athletics and recreation department at Division III Manhattanville College in Purchase, N.Y. His accomplishments in eight years as an athletic director ranged from negotiating television agreements, establishing departmental policies and procedures, revamping logos and branding, overseeing facility enhancements, increasing revenue streams by creating fundraising groups, adding sports programs and cultivating successful sports programs.

Coach and Administrator
Frazier began his administrative career at the University of Maine as an assistant football coach in 1995 and was soon tabbed as the athletic department's multicultural affairs liaison, where he created programs aimed at fostering diversity. He was named assistant to the athletic director in 1996 and became an assistant athletic director in 1998. In that role, he provided administrative support to Maine's 1999 National Championship men's ice hockey team.

A Long Island, N.Y. native, he played four years of college football at the University of Alabama from 1987-91 and was a member of the 1989 SEC Championship team. He has written numerous papers, presented on topics of diversity, leadership and hiring at national meetings and served on many NCAA committees.

Frazier earned his bachelor's degree in communication from Alabama, has a master's degree in higher education/educational leadership from the University of Maine and is pursuing a doctorate in educational leadership and policy analysis from the University of Wisconsin.

He and his wife, Rosa, an accomplished lawyer & law professor, have three children, daughters Marina and Marcella, and son Maximo.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Calhoun would not be a good choice, even interim, and won't be selected. He's having too much of a ball color commentating on ESPN and sitting on the sidelines at basketball games.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Calhoun would not be a good choice, even interim, and won't be selected. He's having too much of a ball color commentating on ESPN and sitting on the sidelines at basketball games.

I feel like his name just comes up for any UConn-related vacancy. Someone on the MBB board doesn't think KO is cutting it? Bring back Calhoun. We may need an interim AD if Warde leaves? Calhoun. I'm surprised that when Verducci was at his most frustrating this past season, there wasn't a "Calhoun for OC" movement.

Reaction Score
Didn't Pernetti hire both Mike Rice and Kyle Flood? Does Pernetti actually have a good reputation, or was that meant to be sarcastic? I'm not asking these question rhetorically, I actually just don't know the answer.

I would give Pernetti a serious look. The only "success" Rutgers ever knew was under him, and he is really well connected.

Reaction Score

I like this guy. His discussion here on Conference Affiliation is enlightening.

I like him too. It would have been interesting if he had compared UNI to Cinci, as opposed to Boise, in regard to CR.

Reaction Score

I like this guy. His discussion here on Conference Affiliation is enlightening.

He definitely hits all the metrics needed to step in at UConn if Warde takes the UM job. The fact he was so well thought of by Jim Delaney that he personally recommended RU hire him to replace Pernetti says a lot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He definitely hits all the metrics needed to step in at UConn if Warde takes the UM job. The fact he was so well thought of by Jim Delaney that he personally recommended RU hire him to replace Pernetti says a lot.
Then he should be our next hire! Look no further!

I had no idea NIU was aiming that high. They should find a spot going forward. Lots of changes lie ahead.

Reaction Score
If UConn needs an AD, why not look at some of the best in the nation? One example is Oliver Luck. His name surfaced when Texas was looking for an AD. He now works at the NCAA where he is in charge of regulatory functions. I believe he is also a lawyer. More importantly, he was the AD at West Virginia – which could help if UConn wants B12 membership – or membership in the ACC or B10, for that matter. Earlier, he was a quarterback for the Houston Oilers.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
If UConn needs an AD, why not look at some of the best in the nation? One example is Oliver Luck. His name surfaced when Texas was looking for an AD. He now works at the NCAA where he is in charge of regulatory functions. I believe he is also a lawyer. More importantly, he was the AD at West Virginia – which could help if UConn wants B12 membership – or membership in the ACC or B10, for that matter. Earlier, he was a quarterback for the Houston Oilers.
Definitely worth kicking the tires to gauge interest.

Reaction Score
The NIU man knows Chicago. Chicago is the headquarters of the Big Ten. And was recommended by the Big Ten commish to Rutgers. Who thankfully passed over him. If Manuel goes, there is no better candidate than Frazier if we want to aim for the Big Ten. He knows his football coaches, too. And he is from Long Island.

Reaction Score
The NIU man knows Chicago. Chicago is the headquarters of the Big Ten. And was recommended by the Big Ten commish to Rutgers. Who thankfully passed over him. If Manuel goes, there is no better candidate than Frazier if we want to aim for the Big Ten. He knows his football coaches, too. And he is from Long Island.
He knows his hockey too: AD at both Clarkson (ECAC) and Merrimack (Hockey East), in charge of hockey at Wisconsin as Asst AD (also ran men's basketball and football just like Warde did at Michigan..until he was promoted by Alvarez and ran the day to day operations for the entire athletic department), Frazier also served as Chair of the NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Committee in 2011.

Reaction Score

Okay - two post history and both suggesting Luck for AD?

Mr. Luck, I'm sure President Herbst would take your call direct, you don't have to back-channel through the Boneyard. ;)

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

You had me until you mentioned that he was from Long Island ;)

Reaction Score
He knows his hockey too: AD at both Clarkson (ECAC) and Merrimack (Hockey East), in charge of hockey at Wisconsin as Asst AD (also ran men's basketball and football just like Warde did at Michigan..until he was promoted by Alvarez and ran the day to day operations for the entire athletic department), Frazier also served as Chair of the NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Committee in 2011.
He might be able to coax Yale into a state tournament.

Hire Frazier! Wait, Warde didn't go yet. He still going??

Reaction Score
Ditto. Whoever it is needs to embrace the vision of not only maintaining a stable and competitive football program, but also the campaign of getting UConn athletics out of the G5 and into the P5. UConn football is clearly making steady progress, so now would be the worst possible time to settle for another Jeff Hathaway.

Any time would be the worst possible time to settle for another Hathaway.

Reaction Score
I'll toss a name out there. Mike Waddell.

I remember wondering if Ambrose would keep his gig when Waddell was hired at Towson.

Just googled him and found out the following from his Illinois bio.

Spent time at Cincinnatti as an associate ad, was AD at Towson then did time at Arkansas as senior associate AD and now holds that same role at Illinois. He's heavy on the marketing side and has experience with ESPN and rights negotiations.

Seems like decent experience (media & marketing) with P5 connections and has had the role of AD before.

Reaction Score
I'll toss a name out there. Mike Waddell.

I remember wondering if Ambrose would keep his gig when Waddell was hired at Towson.

Just googled him and found out the following from his Illinois bio.

Spent time at Cincinnatti as an associate ad, was AD at Towson then did time at Arkansas as senior associate AD and now holds that same role at Illinois. He's heavy on the marketing side and has experience with ESPN and rights negotiations.

Seems like decent experience (media & marketing) with P5 connections and has had the role of AD before.
They are heavily involved in a search for an AD at Illinois right now....and he is not in the mix. The Athletic Department at Illinois is a disaster, he has the projection of Jeff Hathaway 2.0 to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom