If UConn actually starts winning | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If UConn actually starts winning

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
It'll be tough to schedule six P5s in any year. We've got four scheduled in '23, '24, and '26, three in '25 and '27.

I'm somewhat surprised pretty much all August/Sept dates are already filled thru '27, as that's when P5s would normally play indies prior starting their conference schedules. Our only open dates are from mid-October thru November each year. So for a school like Pitt, which has been rumored as a future opponent, UConn would probably need to shuffle the schedule to accommodate a H/H series.
Tough yes, but not impossible. (Keep in mind he scheduled 5 P5 games for the cancelled 2020 season).
In 2026, Weeks 2-5 we have four straight P5 home and home contests.
I think if Benedict really goes after it, he can get a P5 home and home contest weeks 1-5 and then one toward the end of the season against BC/Syracuse or an SEC team like Mizzou, Ole Miss, or Vandy (all three of which we have scheduled an H/H either in the past or future). The FCS, Army, and UMass games should be played at the end of the season.
I also think our matchup against UMass should be played the same week as CCG week if possible.

Potential schedule:
1. @Duke
2. UNC
3. Indiana
4. @maryland
5. Syracuse
6. @Wyoming
7. Buffalo
8. @Temple
9. @Army
10. Holy Cross
11. @BC
12. UMass

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Tough yes, but not impossible. (Keep in mind he scheduled 5 P5 games for the cancelled 2020 season).
In 2026, Weeks 2-5 we have four straight P5 home and home contests.
I think if Benedict really goes after it, he can get a P5 home and home contest weeks 1-5 and then one toward the end of the season against BC/Syracuse or an SEC team like Mizzou, Ole Miss, or Vandy (all three of which we have scheduled an H/H either in the past or future). The FCS, Army, and UMass games should be played at the end of the season.
I also think our matchup against UMass should be played the same week as CCG week if possible.

Potential schedule:
1. @Duke
2. UNC
3. Indiana
4. @maryland
5. Syracuse
6. @Wyoming
7. Buffalo
8. @Temple
9. @Army
10. Holy Cross
11. @BC
12. UMass
Not impossible if you're talking several years out.

Right now, neither 2024 nor 2025 feature a P5 home game. In each of the next three years there are 3 G5 (or worse in the case of CCSU) scheduled in Aug/Sept, with P5s taking the other two spots. While it's desirable to have a weaker opponent early as an opener, 3 is too many that early when P5s are typically scheduling OOC games. So some significant juggling needs to be done even to get to five P5 opponents.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For now I just want UConn football to reach the point where the social media clowns will stop the snarky comments about dropping down to FCS or dropping football altogether.

Get UConn football back to respectability and everything else will take care of itself. Mora looks to have us moving in the right direction.
It’s an easy story, just like if we turn things around, the “Jim Mora was the only guy who could save UConn football” will also be the easy story. There will also be a whole lot of talk about how much we used to suck. It’s all good. All of that will generate energy and media presence for the program as we climb out of the hole.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If Mora actually makes UConn a winner and I can envision that happening...this place will explode, the media will talk about the program a bunch, and the stadium will be full again. The program has been battered and bruised, they've been a national laughingstock for a long time. Everyone likes to see a reclamation project and Mora is really well liked and respected around the game.

I've never seen a team and fanbase more starved for wins than UConn football.

There's plenty of work to do this season but looking ahead a little they're going to get all those skill players healthy for next season, Zion Turner will have a year under his belt with other QB's competing against him and Mora will bring in more talent through the portal and high school/prep.

I'm rambling but UConn football finally has a grown up who knows what he's doing running the program. He's given the team a pulse and they're showing signs of figuring some things out. With more talent and health he may just turn this thing around quicker than anyone thinks.

His presser after the game was impressive.
It’s long past time that UConn football had a bit of good fortune. Luring Mora out of retirement was a start. The injuries have been brutal. But the right staff can build a winning program, and it doesn’t have to take all that long. Look to my “other” team for evidence of that. 5-0 and Gameday is headed to Lawrence next weekend. The fans will come if you give them hope of a victory. That’s all it takes really, hope.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Not impossible if you're talking several years out.

Right now, neither 2024 nor 2025 feature a P5 home game. In each of the next three years there are 3 G5 (or worse in the case of CCSU) scheduled in Aug/Sept, with P5s taking the other two spots. While it's desirable to have a weaker opponent early as an opener, 3 is too many that early when P5s are typically scheduling OOC games. So some significant juggling needs to be done even to get to five P5 opponents.
This scheduling philosophy would take shape starting in 2027. However, we do have some holes in 24-26 that we can fill with a P5 h/h.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
The other thought that popped in my brain was ND. As long as they stay independent, they need 2 lesser opponents every year. I think they would rather play us than an FCS opponent. If Benedict is able to get a 7-2-1 series or at worst an 8-1-1 series, it would help ND fill in an October slot. The neutral game could be played at the Yale Bowl. Notre Dame would like this series because it would help them with scheduling flexibility, and they could continue to guarantee NBC 7 home games and 12 FBS games.

Reaction Score
Think the ship has sailed when it comes to building a loyal and rabid fanbase for football. A few years of 8-4 and 9-3 will probably see a two or three sellouts at best. Nothing close to the stadium expansion talk that once used to exist on these forums.
Disagree, winning solves everything from kids sports to the pros. You watch.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame isnt playing at the Yale bowl with Giants or Gillette Stadium as suitable nearby locations
Agreed. They can pretty much dictate where they play.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agreed. They can pretty much dictate where they play.
What’s the benefit of hindsight, turning down that 10 year series with Notre Dame was a dumb decision. although, I would think that they would’ve thrown us a game or two in the Rent.

Reaction Score
What’s the benefit of hindsight, turning down that 10 year series with Notre Dame was a dumb decision. although, I would think that they would’ve thrown us a game or two in the Rent.
That was back in the day when UConn still had some pride. Hopefully we are on the road to respect right now, but pride is still a long way off. Think we would take that deal in a NY minute today.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I disagree,

If they win, they will come. They just need a reason to come
Agreed, but it’s going to take time. Everyone likes a winner. Most would be fans are quick to jump on a bandwagon that’s rolling downhill and gaining momentum. Sustained winning and momentum will bring back even the most tepid or luke warm fan. Build it, and they will come.

History reminds us that Rome was not built in a day, or over a season. Your win over Fresno State was a good start. The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. Saturday’s win was your first step. FIU should be the next hurdle to master. Good luck.

Last edited:

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Think the ship has sailed when it comes to building a loyal and rabid fanbase for football. A few years of 8-4 and 9-3 will probably see a two or three sellouts at best. Nothing close to the stadium expansion talk that once used to exist on these forums.
You underestimate Connecticut's love of winning. To paraphrase George C. Scott as General Patton, "UCONN nation loves a winner and will not tolerate a loser."

If they win, the fans will come.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If we win the next two on the road I would hope the BC and UMass (night) games show increased attendance.

We are a long way from 30k plus days, but 20k in the building would be nice.

Reaction Score

Many of us were very clear that we made a tremendously stupid decision at the time. Just sayin.

Reaction Score

Oh please don't remind me........and the legislature pontificating on how unjust it would be for ND not to come to the Rent. As if it's not a business decision in which both parties could have benefited. What a bunch of dopes!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom