If the B1G feels this way, imagine if UConn got the call? | The Boneyard

If the B1G feels this way, imagine if UConn got the call?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, UConn is not going to be able to leave the pathetic mid major conference they are currently in until the football team can prove that at least they can be somewhat competitive. That is a ways away in my estimation though.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, UConn is not going to be able to leave the pathetic mid major conference they are currently in until the football team can prove that at least they can be somewhat competitive. That is a ways away in my estimation though.

And once again the band plays on. Isn't it time we move on! Outside of wbb we are not killing the other "pathetic mid major(s)" in everything else. (We are the mid-major, but they can't say it- we might up and leave!) But then nothing else matters outside of wbb!

Reaction Score
It is what it is and UCONN has very little control over the situation!

Reaction Score

I'd agree with you, but in that case, how the heck did Maryland end up where it is? I have it on good authority from the undergrads that our football team kind of sucks.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I'd agree with you, but in that case, how the heck did Maryland end up where it is? I have it on good authority from the undergrads that our football team kind of sucks.
DC/Northern VA/Baltimore is a big TV market, and the Big 10 didn't have much presence there. An awful lot of conference expansion revolves around conference networks, advertising, and visibility (on TV, print media, social media, etc.). There's a finite # of "fannies in seats" to any sporting event, but, the impact of that event is multiplied by increasing visibility in new markets - plus, makes alumni and other interested parties more supportive of your institution.

Not a coincidence that the other expansion school is in the greater NY City media market.

Reaction Score

The Maryland move was a lateral one for them considering they were already in the ACC, a Power 5 conference{Home of football national champion FSU}, with an established history in Football. This is a lot different than UConn's situation in which they are in a mid major, without an established history in a Power conference.

Reaction Score
It doesn't help that UConn is a relatively small school. If UConn was one of those gigantic state schools with 40-50,000 kids and a campus that resembled a small city (like a Penn State, Ohio State, UCF, etc.) it might get more of a look from a P5 conference.

Reaction Score
How come we need football to move to a better conference? Why can't just basketball move to a better conference? Look at Notre Dame I believe football is still independent and women's basketball in ACC, and I am sure there are other schools also.

Reaction Score
There will be movement on UCONN before Jan......Funny feeling......

Reaction Score
There will be movement on UCONN before Jan.Funny feeling.
Realignment is dead right now. And probably for a long while. The P5 conferences got what they wanted, so there's no reason to change things up right now.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It's an awesome conference for WCBB. UCONN should be so lucky... AAC? I'm not going to sit here and bash it as we've been over it before, but they have 6 teams in the top 20, even if none are preseason in the top 10. The strongest overall conference in American IMHO... or if not, a close 2nd to the ACC...

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
How come we need football to move to a better conference? Why can't just basketball move to a better conference? Look at Notre Dame I believe football is still independent and women's basketball in ACC, and I am sure there are other schools also.
Notre Dame has a special deal. There are other football independents, but not many - Army, BYU and Navy (until next year when they join the American).

Specifically, Notre Dame is part of the ACC's bowl arrangements. Army isn't really concerned about revenue, per se; Navy is joining a conference due to scheduling concerns, and BYU has their own TV network, but were unable to broadcast their own games when they were in a conference. They do have a new deal with ESPN.

Reaction Score
MD and Rutgers going to the Big Ten was about expanding TV coverage, but neither of those will seriously put the Big Ten into the New York market. UCONN is really the only university that can provide that along with the market from New York to Boston!

Reaction Score
The Maryland move was a lateral one for them considering they were already in the ACC, a Power 5 conference{Home of football national champion FSU}, with an established history in Football. This is a lot different than UConn's situation in which they are in a mid major, without an established history in a Power conference.
The ACC to the B1G isn't even close to a lateral move.

Maryland won big.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman