If Stewie and Mo... | The Boneyard

If Stewie and Mo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
...were among the draftees, which WNBA teams most need each right now?

Reaction Score
I think the LA Sparks could probably use Mo the most. I think Parker, Nneka and Toliver give her a nice set of options to play with. As for Stewie...this year, being without Chiney, the Sun could probably benefit the most. Over the longer term, anybody can use her.

Reaction Score
Any team in the WNBA would make a marked jump in games won with either or both of these OUTSTANDING women and players.
(Is the really showing my bias?)

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Will Stewie end up as a difference maker in the WNBA? Not saying she's not a great college player, but is it because she does everything good, but is not great at any one part of her game. Will those same skills make her an immediate standout player in the WNBA? Is Stewie over hyped and/or overrated as a Future WNBA Star?

Will Stewie be as good as Candace Parker or EDD?
Will Stewie be as good as either Oguwmike Sister?
Will Stewie be as good as Maya Moore or Angel McCoughtry? Definitely better attitude then Angel.
Will she be comparable to a younger Penny Taylor or Lauren Jackson?
Projecting her maximum talent, Stewie will most favorably compare with? Name Player

Stewie has good ball handling skills considering she's 6'4" tall, but not great ball handling skills.
Stewie is not a great 3 point shooter, like EDD
Stewie has a good mid range shot, but not great.
Stewie is not a Great Rebounder.
Stewie is a good defender, but is she a great defender? Is she as good as Kiah?
What is Stewie's Best Skill?

Would Stewie be receiving all the accolades she's getting if she played for a team other then UConn or Notre Dame or would she just be another good College Player (i.e. such as Alyssa Thomas )?

A lot of the above is me playing devils advocate in an effort to generate discussion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Will Stewie end up as a difference maker in the WNBA? Not saying she's not a great college player, but is it because she does everything good, but is not great at any one part of her game. Will those same skills make her an immediate standout player in the WNBA? Is Stewie over hyped and/or overrated as a Future WNBA Star?

Will Stewie be as good as Maya Moore or Angel McCoughtry? Definitely better attitude then Angel.
Projecting her maximum talent, Stewie will most favorably compare with? Name Player

Stewie has good ball handling skills considering she's 6'4" tall, but not great ball handling skills.
Stewie is not a great 3 point shooter, like EDD
Stewie has a good mid range shot, but not great.
Stewie is not a Great Rebounder.
Stewie is a good defender, but is she a great defender? Is she as good as Kiah?
What is Stewie's Best Skill?

Would Stewie be receiving all the accolades she's getting if she played for a team other then UConn or Notre Dame or would she just be another good College Player (i.e. such as Alyssa Thomas )?

Well, being pretty good at all those things plus being longer and more athletic than any player not named Griner will get you pretty far, even in the WNBA. I would say that Stewie is a virtual lock to be a WNBA all star. Whether she becomes dominant will depend on how she continues to develop. I don't think she's ever going to be very strong, but she can potentially get strong enough so that it's not a liability in the post at the next level, which would go a long way towards letting her see minutes at the four slot. Working on her one on one defense, ball handling, and consistent shooting will improve her ability at the 3. If she can either get stronger and bigger, or make significant improvements in her guard skills, she's going to be great at the next level. If she can do both, look out.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Wow, so much negativity…I thought that was my bailiwick.

Better than Candice Parker
Quicker than EDD and a much better defender and rebounder although less of a pure scorer. But a winner's mentality (not to be underestimated).

Better than the O sisters, they're really good, Stewie is better.

Excellent ball handler
Very good rebounder
Excellent shot blocker

So maybe Kiah was a tad better, but Kiah was one (or perhaps the best) of all time.

There is no player in the W with all of those skills (to be refined further this year).

She will have a monster career.

Reaction Score
The only "problem" with Stewie's offensive game is that she is too much of a team first player and can be somewhat passive. The WNBA is so competitive that she will be asked and will learn to be more assertive offensively, especially if she goes to a rebuilding team that needs offense.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Think of Stewart as a pro by looking at her in NCAA tournament games or in USA basketball play. She played in the Pan Am games against much older players as a HS junior and lead the team in scoring, rebounding, and blocked shots - standard fare for her on her 5 gold medal winning teams. During the regular season she and Geno are working on her game - come the NCAAs and it is show time for her. She will graduate as a three time NPOY in all likelihood with as many awards as anyone who has come before and she will end up being as impactful as a pro as any of the other stars you care to name.

The same could be said for Diana/Maya/Catch/whoever - not the best ball handler, shooter, assister, etc. - but they are winners and do that better than anyone else.

Reaction Score
Think of Stewart as a pro by looking at her in NCAA tournament games or in USA basketball play. She played in the Pan Am games against much older players as a HS junior and lead the team in scoring, rebounding, and blocked shots - standard fare for her on her 5 gold medal winning teams. During the regular season she and Geno are working on her game - come the NCAAs and it is show time for her. She will graduate as a three time NPOY in all likelihood with as many awards as anyone who has come before and she will end up being as impactful as a pro as any of the other stars you care to name.

The same could be said for Diana/Maya/Catch/whoever - not the best ball handler, shooter, assister, etc. - but they are winners and do that better than anyone else.
Why would you look at her performance at the Pan Am games when you can look at her play for the US National Team? I think her performance there showed what I'm getting at. She's talented enough to be at that level with the best players in the world, but not quite there yet in terms of competing at the same level with the best of the best at a higher level of play. It's probably about where Diana and Maya would have been if they played for the US national team before their junior year, and Diana and Maya had to improve their games considerably to become dominant in the WNBA. Breanna is likely in a similar spot; she's not going to be the best player in the league her rookie year, but has the potential to reach that level if she continues to develop her game.

Reaction Score
Wow, so much negativity…I thought that was my bailiwick.

Better than Candice Parker
Quicker than EDD and a much better defender and rebounder although less of a pure scorer. But a winner's mentality (not to be underestimated).

Better than the O sisters, they're really good, Stewie is better.

Excellent ball handler
Very good rebounder
Excellent shot blocker

So maybe Kiah was a tad better, but Kiah was one (or perhaps the best) of all time.

There is no player in the W with all of those skills (to be refined further this year).

She will have a monster career.

wbb didn't ask the questions to be negative, The intent was to try to bring out discussion.

Reaction Score

Yes. Parker’s shot not that hot. Stewie can post and has 3 point range. Parker has some range but Stewie’s career she’ll be a better shooter.

ED has supreme skills but the little I’ve seen of her she seems subpar to slow afoot. My guess is EDD not only plays pf but has played center. I can’t see her as a sf. As they both mature imo Stewie will always be able to guard EDD but when Stewie matures EDD will have slim shot to guard Stewie. Stewie has more versatility and athleticism thus can create more matchup issues and will be a better defender than EDD.

She’s already better than Chiney, isn’t she?

It’s taken 3-4 years for Nneka to be at best a decent shooter. Stewie has shown since her frosh year she can shoot and if Nneka can develop her game a bit imagine when Stewie starts to play full-time how much her shot will improve. Stewie can score consistently form anywhere – Nneka even in league 3-4 years not so much.

Maya can’t low post very well but can get off a jumper any time she wants. Stewie can do both.

In Angel’s prime she was a freak in terms of steals (though she gambled a lot) and she could rebound when she wanted wither athleticism. She scored in the paint but for her reg season career she is 27% 3pt shooter. With Stewie’s length and size she is a freak defensively – just different than Angel without the gambling. Plus she’ll be able to score effectively in the paint especially as a sf but she’ll shoot a lot better.

I didn’t see a young LJ much. A young Penny isn’t in a young Stewie’s league.

Projecting her maximum talent, Stewie will most favorably compare with?

NBA – Anthony Davis.

WNBA – because I see her as a sf and pf I’ll say Catchings.

Reaction Score

Yes. Parker’s shot not that hot. Stewie can post and has 3 point range. Parker has some range but Stewie’s career she’ll be a better shooter.

ED has supreme skills but the little I’ve seen of her she seems subpar to slow afoot. My guess is EDD not only plays pf but has played center. I can’t see her as a sf. As they both mature imo Stewie will always be able to guard EDD but when Stewie matures EDD will have slim shot to guard Stewie. Stewie has more versatility and athleticism thus can create more matchup issues and will be a better defender than EDD.
Elena played a lot of 3 in her rookie year. She didn't last year because Chatman wanted to take it easy on her because of her health, but she'll likely see a lot of three later in her career. Certainly EDD is the better perimeter defender right now, but Stewie has a few years to catch up.

Reaction Score
Elena played a lot of 3 in her rookie year. She didn't last year because Chatman wanted to take it easy on her because of her health, but she'll likely see a lot of three later in her career. Certainly EDD is the better perimeter defender right now, but Stewie has a few years to catch up.

Sure EDD is better player right now. I cannot envision her being a sf though. There are so few games - I just didn't see her enough. Though I'd argue the little bit I saw- right now EDD is in no way a better perimeter defender. From what I saw this past year - she can't defend 3's.

Reaction Score
Sure EDD is better player right now. I cannot envision her being a sf though. There are so few games - I just didn't see her enough. Though I'd argue the little bit I saw- right now EDD is in no way a better perimeter defender. From what I saw this past year - she can't defend 3's.
You're comparing EDD playing against pros to Stewie playing against college players. I've seen a lot of EDD, she's the better perimeter defender right now.

Reaction Score
You're comparing EDD playing against pros to Stewie playing against college players. I've seen a lot of EDD, she's the better perimeter defender right now.

I have to see it to believe it. I'm comparing one of the greatest wcbb of all-time vs a player who was injured/ had lyme disease and don't know how well she'll bounce back from the disease. Big difference. I saw "slow" last year. I KNOW that.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If Stewie and and Mo had a teammate with a perm, would the trio be known as the Three Stooges? In other words, Stewie, Mo, and Curly?

Reaction Score
If Stewie and and Mo had a teammate with a perm, would the trio be known as the Three Stooges? In other words, Stewie, Mo, and Curly?
Just slip KML in there with her new 'do'! Bam!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom