If only Strong had left a week earlier | The Boneyard

If only Strong had left a week earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I doubt it. Louisville has a history of well-known coaches. They've shown that they will get talent, and when they have missteps (kragthorpe), they will bounce back.

UConn's problem remains its lack of history. Yes, it had some success, but that's not entirely surprising given the hoopla over a startup. The key issue is sustainability. And on test #1, UConn is failing with multiple non-bowls. Conferences are wondering if UConn can turn it around or if it has settled in to it's long-term position. It does not have a long enough track record to prove otherwise yet.

Similarly with MCBB. Was it all Calhoun? Too soon to tell.

Can WCBB survive the loss of Geno?

All unanswered. But if the answer is no across the board, you end up with BC Part II, only in a smaller market.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Ron Cooper and Kragthorpe were both terrible. That is two of the last five.

Reaction Score
Nelson, I get it now. UConn gets to go to the sinking ship know as the ACC instead of the 'Ville.

I agree with vowelguy...I don't think FSU cares who the Cards coach is as long is it's not PP.

Reaction Score
Ron Cooper and Kragthorpe were both terrible. That is two of the last five.

Has Louisville shown it can succeed after a bad coach?
Has UConn shown it can succeed after a bad coach?

Reaction Score
I think its possible it could have made a difference.

The points about Louisville having a history are very valid. But, if the reports about Louisville being an underdog and really having to sell themselves to beat us out are true, having to deal with a coaching change could have made a difference.

Reaction Score
I think we should consider ourselves lucky we are not in the ACC so far. Considering how many schools may be poached, is that really our best option?

Reaction Score
I think we should consider ourselves lucky we are not in the ACC so far. Considering how many schools may be poached, is that really our best option?

Shoot for the ivy league - knowing the safety school will always be there

Reaction Score

It's better than where UConn is now. Unless you really, really believe the B1G is going to invite UConn very, very soon, you are looking at man years of playing Tulane, Memphis, ECU, Central Florida, South Florida, SMU, and Navy in football while pulling down a fraction of what the ACC schools get.

The ACC may not be ideal, but its way better than where UConn is now. For the same reasons Tulane jumped at joining and unstable and sinking Big East, UConn would jump at any offer, even from the ACC. It's that much better.

Reaction Score
Nelson, I get it now. UConn gets to go to the sinking ship know as the ACC instead of the 'Ville.

I agree with vowelguy...I don't think FSU cares who the Cards coach is as long is it's not PP.
decision had nothing to do with pp

Reaction Score
The Strong Program is just one component of why Louisville was considered a better choice. We have to admit that OUR football still has issues & their football is a solid well run brand.

Reaction Score
LV has spent $400M on upgrading facilities in the last 15 years. Every one of their sports has a new venue. UCONN has $100-$150M of projects that need to get funded, and they are trying to do it all privately. Unfortunately other than Rentschler, the state ponied up very little money to athletics during the $2B UCONN 2000 upgrades. That isn't something you can fix in a two week scrum. I think we were in a hole for two main reasons: a) some of the football schools didn't want us and that was going to be tough to overcome no matter what and b) LV was ahead of us in terms of OVERALL facilities/funding.

Reaction Score
Lville renegotiating Strong's contract in attempt to keep him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom