If ND wins, should NCAA be forced to explain itself on Shepard? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

If ND wins, should NCAA be forced to explain itself on Shepard?

Reaction Score
I don't remember seeing the transfer fairness police howling when Natalie Romeo got immediate eligibility to play at Washington. Or when Leti Romero got immediate eligibility at Florida State. Or when Chatrice White got immediate eligibility at Florida State.

There can be all manner of personal reasons that would cause someone to want to transfer. If you make the contents of transfer requests public, it is going to discourage people from applying for waivers because they don't want their personal business aired. So the NCAA is never going to disclose the contents of waiver requests, nor should they. And it certainly isn't incumbent upon Shepard to voluntarily air her personal business to mollify people who don't like Notre Dame.

Is it problematic that the NCAA decides these things pretty much in secret with no transparency? Perhaps. Are the transfer rules completely messed up and in desperate need of a re-write.? Arguably. But this is the system that is in place. Shepard is just the latest and highest profile to get a waiver as result of it. But she's certainly not the first.

Woah woah woah. Let’s not cloud this debate with logic and rationality.:D:D:D

Reaction Score
That's not what is going on here. It's just that we've beaten this horse so many times six months ago that there's nothing left. We're not going to get any better answer out of the NCAA, making up some conspiracy theory isn't going to undo Friday night's loss, and it's just time to move on. What's done is done. You tell me: what is your end game, or your goal, to continually rehash this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
That sounds like about the same issue Stevens (who had to sit a year) had with Duke.
Have you been following my research elsewhere on this topic? Seems like it.

Yes I found your page on another site. It was helpful to try to understand this seemingly complex situation.

Reaction Score
If the new NCAA transfer rules pass in June this will no longer be an issue.if you have a 3.0 GPA or better you can transfer without sitting out a year...
Unless the NCAA give one of its pet schools a waiver on the GPA, then it will still be an issue

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
That's not what is going on here. It's just that we've beaten this horse so many times six months ago that there's nothing left. We're not going to get any better answer out of the NCAA, making up some conspiracy theory isn't going to undo Friday night's loss, and it's just time to move on. What's done is done. You tell me: what is your end game, or your goal, to continually rehash this?
Maybe said poster (@scubadog) wasn't on this forum back when this was originally hashed??????

Reaction Score
Unless the NCAA give one of its pet schools a waiver on the GPA, then it will still be an issue

one thing at a time.........frankly I don't know if I like the possible new rules or not...........could lead to incredible roster instability on a yearly basis...........of course I'd like to know what percentage of players have a 3.0 GPA..........

Reaction Score
All I can say is, Im glad your not allowed to talk politics on here!

Reaction Score
They Shepard/ND thing is over and is history, however as an example of the NCAA's lack of consistency it still remains an issue. It remains as an example of the unaccountability of an agency that sets itself up as the standard for intercollegiate ethics. This example is a real smoking gun. Shepard stated when she put in for her transfer, her reasons for transferring. She stated it was purely for the development of skills in respect to her future in basketball. That is in black and white and is difficult to spin as some justifiable personal reason.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Maybe there were extenuating circumstances behind the transfer and those circumstances were private (i.e. none of our business). If there was some kind of...issue, and I will NOT speculate on one...and the NCAA blabbed about it because some UConn fans had their panties in a bunch, I would be the first person in Indianapolis with pitchfork and tar in hand.

Sorry, but it will take several months for the whiners and lousy sports to settle down if ever. It is amazing how much vitriol can be generated by sports. Oh well! The whining is better than what I encountered in England when a group of losing soccer hooligans got on our train.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
They Shepard/ND thing is over and is history, however as an example of the NCAA's lack of consistency it still remains an issue.

What evidence does anyone having regarding the NCAA so-called inconsistency? Particularly since private information is kept private.

Reaction Score
This thread is about padding messages count to a few...the NCAA should look into this!

Reaction Score
Hopefully the following will clarify and maybe close this thread - lots of questions but only for conversation and not settlement. Here's the Omaha newspaper article of 6-1-17 announcing Shephard's departure and her reasoning.

Former Husker Jessica Shepard transferring to Notre Dame

At that time, the personal reason was for her own development and moving to a team more fitting how she wanted to play and grow.

Notre Dame, as I understand it, requested a waiver of the waiting year because of the team's decimation by injuries; more of a personnel rather than personal issue.

It was granted and what has transpired in the past week bring those unusual decisions into question.

Reaction Score
ND is a darling of the NCAA. I guess we're not supposed to question their favorable treatment.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Here's the Omaha newspaper article of 6-1-17 announcing Shephard's departure and her reasoning.

Former Husker Jessica Shepard transferring to Notre Dame

At that time, the personal reason was for her own development and moving to a team more fitting how she wanted to play and grow.

Pehaps Shepard fed the press a line because the real reason for transfer and subsequent waiver request was none of the media's beeswax? She gave a comment to a newspaper. It wasn't a sworn deposition.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
How about you answer the question Nan.

Why was she given a waiver and hundreds of other kids a year weren't?

Not wanting to get political, but if everyone took that attitude, we would never get the truth about anything.

Just looking for the truth. Some people are afraid of the truth. If there is a perfectly equitable reason, why not come forward? No one person ever forces the truth. But, discussion breeds thought, and more people questioning accepted standards. What do you have against the NCAA explaining itself ? Just asking ?

The point is why are you asking (again and again) on the BY? Why are you looking for "the truth" here on the BY. We don't know why the waiver was granted. Nobody on here is in the know.

If you want to look into, go for it. But go ask the NCAA or Notre Dame or Shepard herself. And when you find out, then you can come back here and tell us. In the mean time, why do you keep asking here? It should be pretty obvious we don't know. And most of us at this point really don't care.

Reaction Score
Lol. How many wins did UNC basketball vacate following their fake classes scam?

Remind me the next time vacating wins has any impact on the material success of a college sports program.

The UNC case is a joke, but doesn't change the fact that ND just happens to find itself, more often than not, on the right side of controversial decisions on or off the court/field.

Reaction Score
Back this off season Jessica Shepard was given a surprise waiver to be able to be eligible immediately this season instead of sitting out a season like most transfers have to do. The only known comment explaining it was it was given for "personal reasons".

Well I suspect most people transfer for "personal reasons". Nearly all have to sit out a year. Male and female. Think having Azura last year may have helped a bit? What was so special here? The consequences of this decision could be huge. They are one win away from winning the championship. I would think Miss State, UConn, Oregon fans, etc may deserve to have a strong answer. The UConn men had a player who the NCAA said had to sit out this year. He attended summer school at St Johns for like a week before leaving for, you guessed it, personal reasons.

Why should our right to know be predicated on whether Notre Dame wins or loses. It seems like we should know regardless of wins or losses. Something must be done, before it is too late.

Reaction Score
Remind me the next time vacating wins has any impact on the material success of a college sports program.

The UNC case is a joke, but doesn't change the fact that ND just happens to find itself, more often than not, on the right side of controversial decisions on or off the court/field.

Losing wins affects the record books (both in terms of total number of wins and all-time win %). Many people care about those things. And what are the other examples of ND being on the right side of controversial decisions?

Reaction Score
There are lots of asterisks in sports. Perhaps those who believe the waiver has tainted ND's victory or the NCAA could assign it an asterisk or two while those who don't see things that way agree to disagree.

If this thread goes on much longer, I fear the ASPCA will get called in to investigate who has been beating this dead horse.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Relax everyone. I don't know most of you posting here about Sheppard's waver; but I do know that if everyone on the boneyard post ten times a day asking for an explanation it will not cause the NCAA to answer. The NCAA could not care less about opinions on the boneyard.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
ND is a darling of the NCAA. I guess we're not supposed to question their favorable treatment.

Did UCONN even attempt to get a waiver for Butler or Stevens? Give ND credit for trying. Any good sales manager will tell his sales folks to ask for the business. If you don't, then the default answer is no. If asked and answered no, then a dialog can be opened to seek an understanding of the objections. Perhaps the objections can be worked out one by one until a yes is the response. But you must make a request. I don't recall McGraw whining about how long the decision took. Work it out away from the media.

Considering what Butler endured at Georgetown she just might have received a waiver. But if you can hang on for 5 years then all or most of your masters' degree will be paid for. There were problems with JP McCallie having been called on the carpet for her treatment of players. Steven's might have received a waiver as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom