If Manuel to Michigan | The Boneyard

If Manuel to Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Warde could help us get into a P5 conference working within the Big, more so than knocking on the door as an outsider.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
Perhaps the conversations between the university Presidents would go something like this.
We trade Warde to Michigan for admission to the B1G and alcoholic chicken drink at the Rent.

pj

Reaction Score
If that's true, we should send over an Animal Care Supervisor and an Administrative Assistant (http://umjobs.org/recent/all). The only limit to our ability to build up a pro-UConn constituency at UM is the number of UConn staff people willing to move.

Reaction Score
As over-simplified as the initial post is, there is something to what is being said. Networking is a huge part of any business and Conference Realignment is no different.

TCU Chris Del Conte networked his way into the Big East through his connections with Pitt's administration (There was a whole article about it a while back that I am struggling to find right now). Del Conte had OU's support due to his friendship with Joe Castiglione and used that as motivation to drive down to Austin and put the press on Dodds at Texuas.

Del Conte admitted, “the pressure of the entire institution was on my shoulders” to join the Big 12. He worked the phones, calling every Big 12 contact he knew. Support within the Big 12 was growing, including at Oklahoma where good friend Joe Castiglione had been encouraging. But Del Conte knew if he didn't have Texas, he didn't have a chance.​

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...xas-venerable-ad-to-thank-for-being-in-big-12

Ultimately I would rather retain Manual than have him "putting a good word in for us" in Ann Arbor 10 our of 10 times, but it is good to have friends in high places and losing Ward to Michigan would be better than, say, losing him to Stanford.

Reaction Score
Who was the Assoc AD at a B1G school that Delaney recommended Rutgers hire when they took Herman instead? I think he was at either Wisconsin or tOSU. If WM does in end up going to UM, I'd suggest we kick the tires on that person. Just sayin'.

Reaction Score
As over-simplified as the initial post is, there is something to what is being said. Networking is a huge part of any business and Conference Realignment is no different.

TCU Chris Del Conte networked his way into the Big East through his connections with Pitt's administration (There was a whole article about it a while back that I am struggling to find right now). Del Conte had OU's support due to his friendship with Joe Castiglione and used that as motivation to drive down to Austin and put the press on Dodds at Texuas.

Del Conte admitted, “the pressure of the entire institution was on my shoulders” to join the Big 12. He worked the phones, calling every Big 12 contact he knew. Support within the Big 12 was growing, including at Oklahoma where good friend Joe Castiglione had been encouraging. But Del Conte knew if he didn't have Texas, he didn't have a chance.​

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...xas-venerable-ad-to-thank-for-being-in-big-12

Ultimately I would rather retain Manual than have him "putting a good word in for us" in Ann Arbor 10 our of 10 times, but it is good to have friends in high places and losing Ward to Michigan would be better than, say, losing him to Stanford.
You get it. The word I should have used was networking.

Reaction Score
Who was the Assoc AD at a B1G school that Delaney recommended Rutgers hire when they took Herman instead? I think he was at either Wisconsin or tOSU. If WM does in end up going to UM, I'd suggest we kick the tires on that person. Just sayin'.
Sean Frazier Wisconsin....Barry Alvarez's right hand man

Reaction Score
Hopefully his replacement will do more than monitor and be a better networker than he was in 2012. I believe that once he goes, he will be gone. UConn will be in his rear view mirror and not something which he will be concerned any longer.

Reaction Score

As I recall Delaney said something to the effect that he didn't "recommend" anyone, just provided a few names. And Alvarez might have fired Delaney if he hadn't asked if it was ok. :rolleyes:

But yeah, I gotta believe that Alvarez spends a little time at his vacation homes nowadays and leaves his people do much of the work.

Reaction Score
Delaney: Welcome back to Michigan, Warde. So, having been at UConn...are they worth the investment?

Warde: I still think they deserve monitoring.

It's the combination of Schlissel and Warde that just might be enough to get a conversation started. I don't think that the new AD on the block will make a big difference on his own.

And then there's the TV networks with that pesky little contract that needs to be negotiated. Time for your friends to Bristol to earn their tax break.

Reaction Score
raf46 said:
Warde could help us get into a P5 conference working within the Big, more so than knocking on the door as an outsider.

I think he will do it like Lucy. Pull the football away at the last minute. And then call out Freescooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom