If Diaco is replaced, the program can be respectable quickly | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If Diaco is replaced, the program can be respectable quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ryan Griffin. RE did leave him with a NFL defense. But a walk on QB w/o a scholly? Can you believe that? We started Johnny McIntee at QB. We had no scholarship QB when PP started. We had a tiny, 167 lb Lyle McCoombs as our running back.

I forgot about Griffin and couldn't remember Geremy Davis. QB was a challenge, but between McIntee, Nebrich and there was one other - Box maybe, it was workable. The McCoombs thing was absolute craziness. They ran that kid for three seasons knowing he was undersized and just an average talent.

Again, my point is not to defend Diaco. This thing is an absolute duck*ing disaster. But, to my eye, the talent level is simply not there by comparison. I'm frightened to death that his recruiting prowess is equivalent to his coaching ability.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
UCONN, at best, is a stepping stone school. Sadly, the last two coaches slipped and fell on their ass. Edsall jumped and then failed.

Maybe UCONN isn't even a stepping stone anymore.

Reaction Score
Over the past six years, UConn has failed miserably with both an experienced (albeit dinosaur) FBS HC and a young, inexperienced assistant from a brand name football factory.

So what's next? In what stream does DB decide to dangle bait? Is there a good FCS HC who would consider UConn at this point? For a guy like PJ Fleck, is doubling/tripling one's salary at UConn worth the risk of destroying their HC resume at a potential P5 later on?

I hate to be overly pessimistic, but let's face it, we are just a stepping stone. The question is, is it as simple as the school making bad decisions or is the program a "coach killer"? I seriously doubt BD will ever get another HC opportunity after this disaster. IMO, if I'm a low-level G5 or FCS HC looking to move up, the optics for UConn suck - non-P5, declining budget, poor recruiting grounds, instability, lack of fan support, etc. etc. outweigh the facilities, administration and winning history in other sports.

I fear that UConn has only one more opportunity to get this right. But for the life of me, I can't think of anyone who can effect a quick turnaround who'd really want this situation.

Help cheer me up. Throw out some names that are actually feasible.
Stop hiring defense first coaches with 1986 approach to offense is your 1st step. ALL OVER CFB they move the ball irregardless to weather or recruiting base. We're the only school where because the last 2 home games it gets cold and windy we have to be a ground and pound time of possession team. I call BS. Did Babers need years for his offense? Did Frost?

Enough already.

Reaction Score
I forgot about Griffin and couldn't remember Geremy Davis. QB was a challenge, but between McIntee, Nebrich and there was one other - Box maybe, it was workable. The McCoombs thing was absolute craziness. They ran that kid for three seasons knowing he was undersized and just an average talent.

Again, my point is not to defend Diaco. This thing is an absolute duck*ing disaster. But, to my eye, the talent level is simply not there by comparison. I'm frightened to death that his recruiting prowess is equivalent to his coaching ability.
I really think you have to give the guy 2 years after this. If there is no solid improvement by then, then he's a fail. But this is just too soon under the circumstances he inherited. Look, we have some major structural impediments: area kids, or any kid who isn't at the elite level but who wants to play FBS ball has three area P5 schools to pick from: BCU, RU and SU. You can sell P5 at those places. What do we have to sell? The Rent? I mean, what do we have to sell?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Truth. our OL for the most part is a step or 2 or 3 behind the opposing D's pass rush, even when they only rush 3. Embarrassing

Even my wife commented on how bad our OL was last night. Then I had to listen ad naseum on why Narduzzi's "cover 4" D (which cost Pitt several 4Q collapses) is significantly better than BD's "bend but don't break" D (which of course, broke spectacularly in 1Q).

A lot of guys appreciate being married to a woman who understands football. Trust me, it sucks when your team sucks.

Reaction Score
My only concern is can a new coach fix this offensive line?
This has to be the worst offensive line we've ever had. Either these players are truly awful or they have been poorly coached. Hopefully the latter.

Every team starts with the OL.
You can coach almost any kid with size and decent speed to be a very good lineman. Not great, but very good. These guys are totally lost. There is zero aggression being taught.

Let me give some thoughts

Basic Rule No. 1: never ever ever let your QB get hit. Your job is to stop the rusher at all costs like it's your life on the line. If you are beat, yes you trip, grab and hold and try and get away with it if the path to your QB is unimpeded. The truth is refs can only call so many holding penalties.

Basic rule number 2 - if you miss on a running assignment don't stand there liking around. Hit anybody closest to you as hard you can and take them out. Your back might cut back, or see a new hole. You dont move down field chasing a DB you'll never catch to hit.

Basic Rule No. 3. - your job is about psychological domination through unrelenting physical punishment. Players don't wear down, their will wears down when they tire. The average player will yield to stress. Every ephing play you make somebody pay.

Indicators that they don't follow these rules. Too few holding penalties. Too many sacks allowed. No hands to the face penalties. No late hit penalties. Of course we don't want penalties but they are equally indicative of aggression as they are of nondiscipline. How many times do we see lineman upright looking around? A lot. How many times can see one or two lineman watching on a run play when they miss or make a partial block? A lot. How much blood, disheveled shirts, and helmet scrapes can you see? No much.

They are trained nonaggessive, theory of execution football players, not instinctively violent people.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Interesting opinion from The Big Lead on 4 possible replacements for Chip Kelly (emphasis mine):

Bob Diaco [UConn]
Why To Hire Him: Diaco was Notre Dame’s defensive coordinator before taking the UConn job. Irish fans know what they are getting with his work ethic, recruiting, and talent development on defense. A St. Augustine-quoting Catholic, he’d also be a great cultural fit.

Why Not To Hire Him: He inherited a tough situation at UConn. His teams have been competitive. Still, 6-15 in the AAC through his third year is not a performance that will thrill Notre Dame fans. The “Civil Conflict” saga was also a little weird.

Why He Would Take The Job: Diaco once termed Notre Dame the “pinnacle of college football.” There’s a lot of familiarity there. It’s hard to see him turning it down.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It feels like trying to assemble a piece from IKEA without the instructions.

BD is starting to feel like a fraud.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Interesting opinion from The Big Lead on 4 possible replacements for Chip Kelly (emphasis mine):

Bob Diaco [UConn]
Why To Hire Him: Diaco was Notre Dame’s defensive coordinator before taking the UConn job. Irish fans know what they are getting with his work ethic, recruiting, and talent development on defense. A St. Augustine-quoting Catholic, he’d also be a great cultural fit.

Why Not To Hire Him: He inherited a tough situation at UConn. His teams have been competitive. Still, 6-15 in the AAC through his third year is not a performance that will thrill Notre Dame fans. The “Civil Conflict” saga was also a little weird.

Why He Would Take The Job: Diaco once termed Notre Dame the “pinnacle of college football.” There’s a lot of familiarity there. It’s hard to see him turning it down.

Statements like that lead me to believe the Big Lead is a fraud.

Reaction Score
Temple's fullback has owned everyone all year
that's the type of blocking back every team needs
Luke is not the quickest but he's got a toughness and as I said EVERYONE has trouble with the Temple fullback - the kid is a monster
To be fair, the kid (who in all likelihood will have chance to play on Sundays) is a monster because the o-line does their job. He has to account for one guy on every play and he does it well. He attacks the player he's responsible for.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Bob Diaco [UConn]

I think I would explode from over-excitement if ND hired him away from us and took care of that absurd buyout. Hire him and we'll send both basketball teams to South Bend as a courtesy.

Reaction Score
UConn was 6-7 last season. If not for coaching, this is a 6-6, 7-5 team this year. We defeated Viriginia and Cincinnati and should have won 2 out of Navy, Syracuse and UCF. ECU, BC and Tulane were winnable games had the team not totally gone off the rails.

Furthermore, we have excellent facilities, a nice stadium, decent fan support and a great university. If Diaco is replaced, I believe we can bounce back quickly and be a consistent bowl eligible team in the short-term. This is not a 10 year project as some are saying.

Hope Benedict and Herbst will do the right thing.

Needs to be a quality replacement, though. An aggressive hire of the best offensive coaching available. They can shift their emphasis to offense without abandoning defense.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
There was enough talent on this team to be 6-6. That means a bowl.

It's coaching plain and simple.

We blamed talent for P's failure and he had a dozen NFL players on some of his squads.

It's the freakin' coach.
The coach should know that the 2 main colors of Uconn uniforms are Blue+White (not gray). I think he wears that tight RED shirt to show his muscles!

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I don't buy the death scenario many people have . Why? Freakin Temple. The joke of the Big East, kicked out by the conference, football on its death bed in the MAC. Reinvited to a bigger table. Al Golden was a great hire, did a great job. Goes to Miami. Fails there. Steve Adazzio comes in and continues the upward climb. The Dazzler leaves for BC. Failing there but that is a bad situation. In comes Matt Rhule - they dipped a little and now have taken off.

If freakin Temple can do it with their limited resources, UCONN surely is not a dead end job or a stepping stone. We do need the right hire. I have no idea if Diaco has built a program foundation and just can't coach. The next guy might or might not have the foundation. There are some holes in the program, but the right coach can get this thing figured out quickly. There is enough talented players, they play slow and passively because that is the program philosophy. It's more aggression and less thinking they need.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

If you were the parent of a recruit sitting in your living room listening to the craziness this guy spews, would you trust him enough to have your kid play for him?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I really think you have to give the guy 2 years after this. If there is no solid improvement by then, then he's a fail. But this is just too soon under the circumstances he inherited. Look, we have some major structural impediments: area kids, or any kid who isn't at the elite level but who wants to play FBS ball has three area P5 schools to pick from: BCU, RU and SU. You can sell P5 at those places. What do we have to sell? The Rent? I mean, what do we have to sell?

Please tell us you're kidding.

Reaction Score
My only concern is can a new coach fix this offensive line?
This has to be the worst offensive line we've ever had. Either these players are truly awful or they have been poorly coached. Hopefully the latter.

Every team starts with the OL.
Oh, they are no where near the worst

Reaction Score
There are coaches who would make use of the available talent and win 5-7 games year one. This is an awful staff that is clueless on how to develop players. UCF lost 12 games last year.. Frost has them maybe 5 or 6 wins this year. Babaras has Syracuse competing and they were awful last year. Not every new head coach will approach his first year as the exhibition season. In fact most will not. Bring on the right guy and things will be on track sooner rather than later

Reaction Score

Bob Diaco [UConn]

It would be absolutely joy it someone is dumb enough to hire Mr. 2-10 away from us. In fact, UConn should offer to pay anyone $1m to take this guy off our hands.

That being said, how do you take Big Lead seriously when they got Chip Kelly as the ND head coach?

Reaction Score
I think I would explode from over-excitement if ND hired him away from us and took care of that absurd buyout. Hire him and we'll send both basketball teams to South Bend as a courtesy.
I wouldn't be surprised if Bob does Ok at ND. He's not a great coach or recruiter, but his schemes are more in line for a team that has exceptional athletes at each positions. Bend but don't break sounds great, but you need to have a pass rush, quick LB and a secondary that is disciplined. Power running game is a good play if you have the beef up front and backs that can carry thee load. He's not getting those types of athletes at UConn and that is his biggest downfall. This is why Navy and Army run the triple option. It negates the athletic advantage, teams must scheme for you and it's difficult to prepare for. If Bob goes to ND, he get the type of recruits and athletes he wants for his system. Although I do believe the power running game, unless your running the triple option is a dinosaur.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
It would be absolutely joy it someone is dumb enough to hire Mr. 2-10 away from us. In fact, UConn should offer to pay anyone $1m to take this guy off our hands.

That being said, how do you take Big Lead seriously when they got Chip Kelly as the ND head coach?

Chip vs Brian was my error, not TBL's. All Kellys look the same to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom