If Charleston and Oral Roberts lose in the final of their conference tourney do they still get in? | The Boneyard

If Charleston and Oral Roberts lose in the final of their conference tourney do they still get in?

Reaction Score
Win or lose Charleston and Oral Roberts absolutely deserve a place in the field IMO.

At least I'd rather see them, and Utah St/Nevada/Florida Atlantic than teams like UNC, NC State, Miss St, Arkansas, Oregon, Penn St, Michigan, OK St or Iowa State but I know how these things go.

caw

Reaction Score
Better question, if UNC-W wins, does that completely squash UNC's chances? Because that would be awesome.

EDIT: obviously assuming UNC does not win the ACCT

Reaction Score
Their metrics aren't quite strong enough to be slam dunk at larges. Committee could do it for either, though. I think Charleston could make it.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Win or lose Charleston and Oral Roberts absolutely deserve a place in the field IMO.

At least I'd rather see them, and Utah St/Nevada/Florida Atlantic than teams like UNC, NC State, Miss St, Arkansas, Oregon, Penn St, Michigan, OK St or Iowa State but I know how these things go.

I agree, you can't let an entire conference get in just because they play each other AND do very little OOC. Through in the fact that the conference exits early every year, and it's time to give more teams that won more games a chance

UNC probably gets a bid based on name only

18-15 teams get in, I think 16-15 was the worst at large ever, that's just wrong

Reaction Score
Charleston has a better chance than Oral Roberts.

Charleston beat Virginia Tech, Davidson, Richmond and Kent State, all solid non-cons while Oral Roberts' best non-con wins are Liberty, Missouri State, South Dakota State and maybe Texas Southern? Four of their wins were against non-D1 teams, but that's the problem when no one wants to play you.

Reaction Score
I feel like historically the committee never lets those teams in

Reaction Score
These teams could both have 30 wins and miss the tournament. Prepare for two 15 loss B1G or B12 teams in the first four.

If you like small conference teams making noise, root for North Texas or UAB to win CUSA. The Gaff's Fla Atlantic team is a lock already

Reaction Score

I agree. They should get in and deserve to. No way the Big10 deserves 10 anymore than the BE deserves 8!

Reaction Score
Charleston might have 30 wins but they have 3 quad 3 losses. They won't put them in. Don't think Oral Roberts would get in either.

Reaction Score
Charleston might have 30 wins but they have 3 quad 3 losses. They won't put them in. Don't think Oral Roberts would get in either.
You are probably right, but that would be an idiotic reason to keep them out.

All this "quad" nonsense should be used for nothing other than to differentiate between 17-win P5 teams that are outside the top 4 in their conference. When a team wins 30 -- or 28 -- they should be in.

Reaction Score
I'd rather see Charleston or Oral Bobs get in over West Virginia (7-11 in conference, gimme a break)

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I hope Charleston, FAU, VCU, and Oral Roberts all win their respective tournaments. That would all put them as high as possible in the seed list. Don't be surprised if FAU is a 7-8 seed, Charleston is a 8-9 seed, or Oral Roberts is a 10 seed.

Reaction Score
Oral Roberts has 4 starters back on a team that almost made the Elite 8. Maybe I was sleeping on these guys...or many are?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Conor Vanover has a BMI of 20.1.

For comparison, Zach Edey is 27.7.

Clingan is 25.2.

Reaction Score
Oral Roberts has 4 starters back on a team that almost made the Elite 8. Maybe I was sleeping on these guys...or many are?
Under Paul Mills, Oral Roberts' issue has always been defense: top-70 efficiency in offense the last four seasons, but prior to this season they never finished better than 219th in defensive efficiency.

The Golden Eagles used the portal to their advantage to help their defense:
  • Former Cal and Arkansas 7'5 behemoth Connor Vanover was picked up to start at the 5 (6th best block rate in the nation)
  • Former UT-Arlington forward Patrick Mwamba (6'7 206) provided length and athleticism, has played the 4 and 5 or Oral Roberts, and is currently ranked as the team's third most efficient defender.
For those who want to learn more, I wrote a preview about Oral Roberts' quest to improve their defense over the summer on the blog:

Reaction Score
The S16 was 2 years ago. They didn't even make the tourny last year with all those guys back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom