If BYU was our partner in making us better as Diaco said... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If BYU was our partner in making us better as Diaco said...

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The thing that is amazing is how many people on the basketball board don't follow the sport other than UConn.

I get not everyone will name all the teams in the OVC - but the overall lack of awareness is stunning at times.

Reaction Score
2014 is so last year

Thank God. But HCBD laid a huge egg. What a terrible season, even with FHCPP as a comparison. I hope he has it in him but if there is not at least 4 wins its time for Warde and BD to go. Simple as that.

I hope he succeeds but he hasn't shown me anything. Sorry to sound so grim, but my medication has worn off.

At this point in time HCBD is really a pretend HC. Time to do something besides talk.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Amazing how we can say that it takes three years and we only really grant one.

Reaction Score
WingU-Conn said:
It's an interesting board. There's great irony in that most of the board thinks we're too good for a conference we've yet to win a single championship in (conference regular season/conference tournament). Temple got screwed, and people are worried that will happen to us. It may. But if we don't lose to Houston, Memphis twice, Tulsa, Yale, Texas, Stanford, Temple twice, etc, then we're in the tournament. There are, fortunately, a few over there who realize that.

If we played better defense for about 8 seconds (Yale/Texas/Memphis) we are probably in. It's our own fault.

Reaction Score
I think many on that board (and I agree) know that football drives the bus but wonder whether UConn will ever get back to HCRE level let alone better to hopefully get a P5 invite and if so, how long will it take? The problem is that the inequity between a P5 and non P5 has never been greater between access to money and media exposure (has ESPN gotten around to running that AAC football or basketball page yet?) and we seem to be looking at a long process, what's reasonable 5 years of football success (meaning Top 50 level)? How long can UConn sustain as a have not?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think many on that board (and I agree) know that football drives the bus but wonder whether UConn will ever get back to HCRE level let alone better to hopefully get a P5 invite and if so, how long will it take? The problem is that the inequity between a P5 and non P5 has never been greater between access to money and media exposure (has ESPN gotten around to running that AAC football or basketball page yet?) and we seem to be looking at a long process, what's reasonable 5 years of football success (meaning Top 50 level)? How long can UConn sustain as a have not?

Diaco took a long term view when many of us wanted a quick fix. I hope it was the right move. I trust that it was, but it's painful. I expect the team to be around .500 this year, maybe in the hunt for a bowl. By 2016, they had better be bowling.

The primary concern for me as a basketball fan is not that the league stinks, but the perception that the league stinks. Temple was better than several teams who got into the NCAA tournament. SMU should have been seeded higher. The only way this changes is if the bottom feeder teams play better schedules and win against them. The core of a solid conference is there with UConn, Memphis, Temple, Cinci, SMU and Houston. All those teams have had strong programs at times. Tulsa as well.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
2015 checklist:

1. Look like a competitive team.
2. Beat Nova, Tulane, USF and Army.
3. Win at least six games.
4. Win a bowl game.
5. Beat either BYU or Missouri.
6. Win the AAC.

#4-6 aren't likely, but playing in a bowl game should be the goal this season. I'll be disappointed if they fall short, but how disappointed depends on #1-2.

Reaction Score
2015 checklist:

1. Look like a competitive team.
2. Beat Nova, Tulane, USF and Army.
3. Win at least six games.
4. Win a bowl game.
5. Beat either BYU or Missouri.
6. Win the AAC.

#4-6 aren't likely, but playing in a bowl game should be the goal this season. I'll be disappointed if they fall short, but how disappointed depends on #1-2.

I'm being honest, I just want to see #1.

2. I don't expect them to run the table on these 4 games, so I can't be disappointed if they don't.
3. Again, looking at the roster and the schedule, I don't see 6 wins, so like 2014, I don't think it's fair to judge Diaco on whether we make a bowl this year or not.
4. See #3 above.
5. Crazier stuff has happened in sports, but this is just not going to happen with both games on the road.
6. See #2-6 above.

What you didn't mention, is coaching. I don't want to hear about preseason games. I don't want to see 50 plus guys rotating in and out. I don't want to see a QB platoon in any way. I don't want to hear what a mess he inherited and how the team stinks. I don't want to see our best players on the sidelines for important downs (see Davis, Geremy). I want to see better decisions regarding punts/FG's. I don't want to see a game like we saw against USF ever again.

I don't even care one iota about what he says anymore as long as he's not telling everyone how much the kids stink. I want to see evidence of them responding and buying in. I want to see evidence of Diaco learning from some of his mistakes last year. I'm willing to give him a blank slate this year. I don't expect more than 4 wins, so I'm not gonna judge him on the number of wins. But if I see the same nonsense that we saw last year, I'm not going to keep quiet.

This team has a questionable and young OL with no QB right now. Temper the expectations.

Reaction Score
We keep hearing Diaco took the long term approach to fixing things rather than the quick fix.

Can anyone explain:
a) what the quick fix was (what would have been different in coaching/personnel, play-calling, etc.)?

and

b) why those changes were unsustainable and/or inferior to what we saw last year?

TIA

Reaction Score
If we played better defense for about 8 seconds (Yale/Texas/Memphis) we are probably in. It's our own fault.
Also Boatright's free throws in the first two games.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
We keep hearing Diaco took the long term approach to fixing things rather than the quick fix.

Can anyone explain:
a) what the quick fix was (what would have been different in coaching/personnel, play-calling, etc.)?

and

b) why those changes were unsustainable and/or inferior to what we saw last year?

TIA
I think the general idea is that if he only played the best players we probably could have had 4 wins instead of 2 but would return less experienced players the following year. Getting more players experience makes us more likely to get 5 wins this year, 7 wins next year, etc.

It's all theory until we actually see what happens in 2015 and 2016. It's also possible that by playing only the best players last year we still lose to BYU and Boise (I think the sheer number of players seeing action dropped as the year went on but I could be wrong).

Reaction Score
I think the general idea is that if he only played the best players we probably could have had 4 wins instead of 2 but would return less experienced players the following year. Getting more players experience makes us more likely to get 5 wins this year, 7 wins next year, etc.

It's all theory until we actually see what happens in 2015 and 2016. It's also possible that by playing only the best players last year we still lose to BYU and Boise (I think the sheer number of players seeing action dropped as the year went on but I could be wrong).

I'd buy that if I didn't watch the last 4 games and see those results.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
mets1090 said:

Which is why I don't think 6 wins is an out of line expectation. These kids are only here 4 years. What year do they become good enough to win 6 lousy games against a FCS team, two service acadamies, and the AAC?

Why did I sit through last year's tire fire if there wasn't going to be a payoff? No disrespect to Coach D, but anyone here could win 2 games this season and just about any coach who makes his living at it can win 4. Our schedule is terrible.

We should be able to win 6 on conditioning and execution alone. There is no one outside Missouri that has a huge talent gap. Our Oline tips at 30th plus. Our defense is actually decent. Our WR are pretty good. We don't have a reliable QB, which is why we aren't winning a conference championship. So what, we're not asking for one this year. (That's it's own problem)

This is on the coach. You came in here and asked for patience. We saw you out GDL/P, GDL and P. We accepted it as painful as it was. Don't expect that understanding again. And seriously, don't lose to Nova or Army.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Which is why I don't think 6 wins is an out of line expectation. These kids are only here 4 years. What year do they become good enough to win 6 lousy games against a FCS team, two service acadamies, and the AAC?

Why did I sit through last year's tire fire if there wasn't going to be a payoff? No disrespect to Coach D, but anyone here could win 2 games this season and just about any coach who makes his living at it can win 4. Our schedule is terrible.

We should be able to win 6 on conditioning and execution alone. There is no one outside Missouri that has a huge talent gap. Our Oline tips at 30th plus. Our defense is actually decent. Our WR are pretty good. We don't have a reliable QB, which is why we aren't winning a conference championship. So what, we're not asking for one this year. (That's it's own problem)

This is on the coach. You came in here and asked for patience. We saw you out GDL/P, GDL and P. We accepted it as painful as it was. Don't expect that understanding again. And seriously, don't lose to Nova or Army.

Thumbs up! HCBD told us the players were not really D1 football players conditioning wise. They reported some huge gains recently. He was working on systematic "program" things all last year. I expect some dividends. Included in that is not just beating Nova, but doing it handily.

Also, I don't think it is accurate to say we don't have a reliable QB. It is accurate to say that we don't know if we have a reliable QB. I can live with this team not getting a bowl bid. But five wins is really the floor of what is acceptable.

Reaction Score
I hope we are never in a position where a coach feels like he has to coach like he did last year, especially against USF.

Reaction Score
I hope we are never in a position where a coach feels like he has to coach like he did last year, especially against USF.

Agreed, but I disagree with his decision to just quit throwing the ball. There are a lot of things you can do to get passes off quickly or avoid pressure, bubble screens, quick outs, WR screens, slants, having the QB roll out on the snap. None of these are a "quick fix" or "only helping in the short term", since they are used by a lot of teams in their regular schemes. Giving giving up on throwing the ball entirely doesn't help in the long term.

Reaction Score
Agreed, but I disagree with his decision to just quit throwing the ball. There are a lot of things you can do to get passes off quickly or avoid pressure, bubble screens, quick outs, WR screens, slants, having the QB roll out on the snap. None of these are a "quick fix" or "only helping in the short term", since they are used by a lot of teams in their regular schemes. Giving giving up on throwing the ball entirely doesn't help in the long term.
I would like to ask the offensive lineman if they learned anything that game. Seems after that is when they started to improve

Reaction Score
I would like to ask the offensive lineman if they learned anything that game. Seems after that is when they started to improve

Considering how the last 4 games went, I'd like to ask the rest of the team if they learned anything.

Some news out of camp would be nice. We're not getting anything. I'm hopeful that's a positive thing as the entire staff and roster is focused on getting better, rather than talking about getting better.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So you are saying we need to get a coach with some semblance of balls?

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
HuskyHawk said:
Thumbs up! HCBD told us the players were not really D1 football players conditioning wise. They reported some huge gains recently. He was working on systematic "program" things all last year. I expect some dividends. Included in that is not just beating Nova, but doing it handily.

Also, I don't think it is accurate to say we don't have a reliable QB. It is accurate to say that we don't know if we have a reliable QB. I can live with this team not getting a bowl bid. But five wins is really the floor of what is acceptable.

Accepting 5 would require a particularly painful, carried out on your shield, type of losses along the way and a true sense that the next year will be in the hunt for a conference title. (Top 3).

Best just to win 6 and avoid the entire conversation.

Reaction Score

Can anyone explain:

and

TIA
coach stated he had to fix the team in layers and he couldn't proceed until they had a foundation of the basics. Bjs said he couldn't give them the next piece until they had a solid footing on certain basics he wanted down. He gave an example of if he tried to run certain plays certain levels lineman would just get turned around and beaten because technique strength not there yet. He does have a point. there are certain lineman very inconsistent in blocking. This shows in he had two tight ends on every passing play early in the year just to try to protect the quarterback. By his did get better in the second half. I really think the offensive line had one of diacos hands tied. Saw some gains last year so who knows what we will see the kids do this year. Three wins vs six or more will all be based in offensive line / qb play

Reaction Score
I still have to ask in what universe did we not have the talent to beat Army? Seriously? Or SMU? Those were 2 very bad football teams. We were lucky to hang on against a bad 1aa team. I'll be surprised if we win 2 this year. If we lose to Army and Villanova, 2011-13 will look like the good times.

Reaction Score
I still have to ask in what universe did we not have the talent to beat Army? Seriously? Or SMU? Those were 2 very bad football teams. We were lucky to hang on against a bad 1aa team. I'll be surprised if we win 2 this year. If we lose to Army and Villanova, 2011-13 will look like the good times.

Reaction Score
So you are saying we need to get a coach with some semblance of balls?
No, I'm saying we were 1 concussion/hit away from not having a QB healthy enough to finish a game behind what I think was the worst blocking offensive line(including TEs) that I can remember. The young RB's didn't provide much security for the QB position either. It was probably the reason why he waited to change the offense mid season in that the odds of actually having a QB to finish the season greatly improved. One of the things I am going to look forward to this year is watching the maturation/ development of this offense and reducing of the turnovers. Sick of seeing so many momentum and energy sucking to's and especially Pick6s.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32