If Asia Durr Had Come to UConn ... | The Boneyard

If Asia Durr Had Come to UConn ...

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I know that Geno recruited Asia Durr coming out of high school, but I've forgotten (if I ever knew) how close (or not) she came to actually landing in Storrs. Since her college career is now in the history books, it might be a good time to reflect on how things might have gone if she had appeared at Gampel First Night in 2015.

Certainly, she would not have had a chance to play regularly against teams as good as those she played against at Louisville, because of the chasm in quality between the AAC and the ACC. But even so, she probably would have been on TV as much or more if she had come to UConn, which would have enhanced her marketability in the WNBA and overseas.

Think about this year by year:
  • In her freshman year, she would probably not have been in UConn's starting lineup, but would have been the first guard off the bench. It's possible that she would have taken Kia Nurse's spot in the starting lineup by the end of the season.
  • In her sophomore year, she certainly would have started in place of Saniya Chong, resulting in a UConn starting lineup of Lou / Pheesa / Kia / Gabby / Asia, with freshman Crystal Dangerfield getting significant minutes.
  • In her junior year, she would have had to start, which probably would have meant that Kia would have moved to the bench for her senior year, getting significant minutes and playing in end-of-game offense/defense switches. The starting lineup would be the same as in the previous year, but with Crystal replacing Kia in the starting lineup.
  • In her senior year (this year), the starting lineup would have been Lou / Pheesa / Megan / Crystal / Asia, with Chrystyn Williams getting major minutes as the third guard.
In terms of success, I think it is a near certainty the UConn would now have a streak of six straight National Championships, and might have had an undefeated streak of 140+ games going into this year. I think that streak would still have been broken against Baylor in Waco this year, since guard play did not significantly influence the outcome of that game. This week, we would be discussing UConn's bid for an 7th consecutive NC.

I wonder if it has occurred to Asia what she missed by making the decision that she did as a high school senior.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The career stats will tell you that Kia and Asia were comparable players. But I don't envision any scenario where Asia would have displaced Kia from the UCONN lineup because Kia was a superior defender=NDPOY.

Reaction Score
The world does not work like that. One event would have triggered another sequence of events. Who knows if it would have meant CD and MW would have come to UConn, etc.... and who knows how Pheesa/Lou would have developed. No ifs and buts.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I too have often thought of what might have been if Durr had come to UConn. I was very disappointed when she chose to go elsewhere. If you remember, Durr and Ogumbowale were the last two coveted recruits we were hoping to get. We'll never know, but the outcomes of the last two year's tournament loses may have been different had she been here.

She has a clutch gene that would have served UConn well. I don't dwell on those we lose, but revel in the ones we get. For whatever reason, Durr chose not to come here. I respect that. UConn is not for everyone. It was not meant to be. I accept that and move on. :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
She certainly would’ve given UConn a playmaking guard who could create her own shot. But as the Keith Urban song goes, “blue ain’t [her] color”. I’ll be looking forward to Asia playing in the WNBA and on the US National Team. She’s a great person and I have no doubt she’ll have an illustrious pro career akin to her college career (though hopefully with more championships).

Reaction Score
I remember Maryland was very high on her list. She had a visit scheduled with the Terps (I think it may have been the following week/month but I don't remember). She had cancelled that because she had committed to Louisville. She would have solved our PG problems after Lexie Brown left.

Reaction Score
The only player I missed from Louisville was Angel Mcoughtry. Did Geno recruit her?

Reaction Score
Just saw an article in local (Louisville) media indicating that she wanted to play in a city within easy driving distance from her home.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The only player I missed from Louisville was Angel Mcoughtry. Did Geno recruit her?
Angel wasn't highly ranked in high school, maybe 40-60 or so. She was raw and became a late bloomer.

Reaction Score
I know that Geno recruited Asia Durr coming out of high school, but I've forgotten (if I ever knew) how close (or not) she came to actually landing in Storrs. Since her college career is now in the history books, it might be a good time to reflect on how things might have gone if she had appeared at Gampel First Night in 2015.

Certainly, she would not have had a chance to play regularly against teams as good as those she played against at Louisville, because of the chasm in quality between the AAC and the ACC. But even so, she probably would have been on TV as much or more if she had come to UConn, which would have enhanced her marketability in the WNBA and overseas.

Think about this year by year:
  • In her freshman year, she would probably not have been in UConn's starting lineup, but would have been the first guard off the bench. It's possible that she would have taken Kia Nurse's spot in the starting lineup by the end of the season.
  • In her sophomore year, she certainly would have started in place of Saniya Chong, resulting in a UConn starting lineup of Lou / Pheesa / Kia / Gabby / Asia, with freshman Crystal Dangerfield getting significant minutes.
  • In her junior year, she would have had to start, which probably would have meant that Kia would have moved to the bench for her senior year, getting significant minutes and playing in end-of-game offense/defense switches. The starting lineup would be the same as in the previous year, but with Crystal replacing Kia in the starting lineup.
  • In her senior year (this year), the starting lineup would have been Lou / Pheesa / Megan / Crystal / Asia, with Chrystyn Williams getting major minutes as the third guard.
In terms of success, I think it is a near certainty the UConn would now have a streak of six straight National Championships, and might have had an undefeated streak of 140+ games going into this year. I think that streak would still have been broken against Baylor in Waco this year, since guard play did not significantly influence the outcome of that game. This week, we would be discussing UConn's bid for an 7th consecutive NC.

I wonder if it has occurred to Asia what she missed by making the decision that she did as a high school senior.
Big fan of Durr but wonder if we would have seen the same level of performance if she had attended UConn. Geno has a system and one on one basketball not a part of the UConn process. Durr also had less talent around at Louisville so could freelance.

Reaction Score
Love Durr, remember when she was on the three-on-three team with Lou, Pheesa and De’Janae Boykin. But it's really pointless to speculate on what may have happened. How would UConn have done if DelleDonne stayed in Storrs? You go with what you have.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Love Durr, remember when she was on the three-on-three team with Lou, Pheesa and De’Janae Boykin. But it's really pointless to speculate on what may have happened. How would UConn have done if DelleDonne stayed in Storrs? You go with what you have.
The 4th member of that 3 on 3 team was Ogunbowle not Durr.

Reaction Score
The 4th member of that 3 on 3 team was Ogunbowle not Durr.
I think Durr was supposed to be the fourth when those 3 visited but due to a previous commitment had to re-schedule which never happened. Always thought if we could have just gotten her on campus...

Reaction Score
Asia Durr made a deliberate decision to attend Louisville to play basketball and get an education. If you would ask her about her decision she would most likely tell you that she was very pleased and had a appreciated her coach. Doing a what if, is like what if..........after the fact. Apparently, Geno has a high regard for her skills. And, it appears that her behavior on and off the court is exemplary. I always like to do a what if on .....what if UConn had an 8 foot Center from Russia who could really play the sport.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Arike also had UConn in her list of Final Schools. While a great talent, she probably made the right decision not to choose UConn. Too many times she's a free lancer amongst a team of Team Players. She's a fearless shooter capable of making any shot she attempts as evidenced by her buzzer beaters last year. Reminds me of how Kelsey Mitchell played, but Kelsey didn't have the talent around her that Arike has.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom