OT: - I would have found this to be "unbearable." | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: I would have found this to be "unbearable."

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
One other example of human, well, not common sense. Some folks keep Capybara as pets - up to allowing them to sleep in their bed. That also does not necessarily go well. If you don't know what a Capybara is, I won't ruin it for you.

It's late. At first my brain was seeing chupacabra. Pretty sure those would make horrible pets, if they were real! But yeah, capybara are huge, that would be a weird thing to share a bed with. I'll play spoiler, imagine a rat the size of a medium to large dog. I had never heard of them being pets.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Olympic Game Park in Washington State

I've driven right past that many times, never stopped.

I don't think I'd be laughing if a bison stuck its head in my car. Their head alone is huge, never mind the rest of them. I think I would be a bit concerned about that situation.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

I have been in circumstances with an aggressive (in the sense that it walked into an active campsite, and ignored yelling and pot banging). It gets your attention. How did they get that close to a bear in the first place?

do not know if I could stand still, but at that point she was out of options

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Was once told this piece of advice when dealing with bears:

Bear Black --> Fight Back
Bear Brown --> Lie Down
Bear White --> Good Night
What were you told about @pinotbear ? I was thinking perhaps bear pinot--> pop the vino?

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
There is lot of anti-bear equipment is out there. Bells for noise and pepper spray, etc. They may be more effective against black bear than grizzlies. You can tell which kind of bear is in the area but examining the scat. Black bear scat will have a high berry and seed content, while grizzly bear scat will have little bells in it and smell like pepper.

In the same vein but even older:
In Grizzly country always hike with a friend.
If a Grizzly attacks you can't outrun it.
But you can outrun your friend.

I think that's been around since Jeremiah Johnson.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Was once told this piece of advice when dealing with bears:

Bear Black --> Fight Back
Bear Brown --> Lie Down
Bear White --> Good Night
Along those lines, regarding snakes...

Red and black, venom lack,
Black and yellow, kill a fellow.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Here's a few pics of my closest bear encounter. This is zoomed in...slightly. I was in the middle of a long hike and kinda zoned out and all of a sudden realized there was a bear in the middle of the trail right in front of me. While I was trying to figure out what to do it bailed off on the downhill side and then went back to browsing. I did not ask it how much it weighed, but I would say plenty enough. :rolleyes: This was in Olympic National Park, where the bears are plentiful and well behaved as far as I know.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
What were you told about @pinotbear ? I was thinking perhaps bear pinot--> pop the vino?
well, when I joined the board, there were already two bears - Grizz and Ice. Since, at the time, I owned and managed a neighborhood packy, and was (and am) quite fond of red wine, particularly pinot noir, I became the pinotbear.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
looking up recipes for black bear... found a spot that sells bear... and llama meat :eek:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Not to keep a thread going - but the Bison story reminded me of our "safari" at the San Diego Safari Park (suburban part of the Zoo, not sure if I have the name right). Folks were given the chance of feeding Rhinos off the safari truck. Apples, IIRC. Or, to a Rhino, raisins. Big head, big jaws - tiny apple - chomp.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Here's a few pics of my closest bear encounter. This is zoomed in...slightly. I was in the middle of a long hike and kinda zoned out and all of a sudden realized there was a bear in the middle of the trail right in front of me. While I was trying to figure out what to do it bailed off on the downhill side and then went back to browsing. I did not ask it how much it weighed, but I would say plenty enough. :rolleyes: This was in Olympic National Park, where the bears are plentiful and well behaved as far as I know.

Just to be clear, I liked it for you. Not for me.
I would have had an underwear problem, and a pants, shoes and socks problem, if I had been in your shoes. :eek:

Bama fan

Reaction Score
I would have had an underwear problem, and a pants, shoes and socks problem, if I had been in your shoes. :eek:
After you were done with them, in his shoes would not be an enviable place to be. ;):oops:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

It really doesn't look like a bear in this one:

1595373054418.png

Great pictures BTW. Where was it.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It really doesn't look like a bear in this one:

View attachment 56798

Great pictures BTW. Where was it.

Wait a minute, that's not what I saw! :rolleyes:

The bear was near Seven Lakes Basin, did a 20ish mile counterclockwise loop from the Sol Duc trailhead.

The little guy I think was on another loop in the Glacier Peak Wilderness. Can't remember exactly where that photo was. Included a portion of the PCT and several other trails that intersect it.

edit--okay, I looked at the album. Little guy was along PIlot Ridge on the last day of the trip, between Blue Lake and the North Fork Sauk trailhead.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score

I'm probably pretty weird. I wasn't freaked out, I was excited. Every bear I've ever seen either ran away or ignored me. I recognize they certainly could cause a lot of damage to me, but attacks are very rare. I enjoy all my wildlife encounters, from rodents and small birds right on up to the megafauna. I've been point blank range with deer and mountain goats a number of times.

Well, I don't enjoy mosquitoes. Or black flies/horse flies. None of those count.

Reaction Score
With brown bears the farther north you go the more dangerous they become. My sister and brother in law used to take vacations in the northern wildernesses. One time they were in northern Canada and in the area they were camping three campers were eating by a bear/bears. Pulled right out of their tents. I guess they must have looked like burritos in their sleeping bags.

CL82

Reaction Score
With brown bears the farther north you go the more dangerous they become. My sister and brother in law used to take vacations in the northern wildernesses. One time they were in northern Canada and in the area they were camping three campers were eating by a bear/bears. Pulled right out of their tents. I guess they must have looked like burritos in their sleeping bags.
As noted above in this thread, you cannot keep anything a bear might think is interesting in your tent with you in back country. That means anything with a scent (e.g., food, deodorant, chocolate, bug spray, brillo etc.) That stuff should be put in bear bag and hung up away from where you are sleeping.

Last edited:

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score

Hmmm, sounds like they were camping at Camp Granada

"please don't leave me in the forest where, I might get eaten by a bear"
quote of the immortal bard, Alan Sherman.

CL82

Reaction Score
Hmmm, sounds like they were camping at Camp Granada

"please don't leave me in the forest where, I might get eaten by a bear"
quote of the immortal bard, Alan Sherman.

I actually owned (and still do) a board game based on this song replete with "icky animals", bunk houses and bus that would breakdown.

1595431861783.png

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I actually owned (and still do) a board game based on this song replete with "icky animals", bunk houses and bus that would breakdown.

View attachment 56810

I was 13 at the time, bought the album. Thought it was hilarious and played it repeatedly. My parents were not happy, but that made it even more fun.
I am jealous of the board game, never saw it, would have bought it if I had.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
The poet Arthur Guiterman, in his "On The Vanity of Earthly Greatness" put it in perspective.

"The grizzly bear whose potent hug
was feared by all, is now a rug."

Reaction Score
How did you get his weight
I've seen bears in Penna, Ohio, Colorado, Maine and Ct., and that does not include viewing them at zoos (where you have information regarding their ages and weights). When I was younger and vacationing in the Tyrone area of Pa. my uncle hunted Black Bears. After awhile you can get a sense. By the way, here is one of them raiding my garbage can last week.
82953431_10214763681920710_6330707064618746654_n (2).jpg
Not sure he would have fit on the weight scale but I'm fairly certain he's not a cub. Then again, I'm not an expert.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom