I was there when (rules in thread) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

I was there when (rules in thread)

Reaction Score
1996 Big East Championship Final for Ray Allen's game winner

I was there, but since I was 10 and everyone around us was standing, I did not actually lay eyes on it. Still fun though.
Still my favorite game, of any kind, I've ever been to. First time at Smith & Wolly's that night too.

Reaction Score
I was at that too, which is kinda funny since I live in Pittsburgh now and I'm pretty much the only person I know who saw Bradshaw's last game live. We were down in the field boxes and getting high as hell with the folks behind us. Nobody was bothering us for smoking joints, which I found incredible. And we were close enough to jump the rail and grab a piece of turf at the end. Tried to replant it, but it never took.
That makes total sense. I was a Steelers fan living in New York. I got the tickets as a present for my 11th birthday. Steelers really needed to win that game too in order to make the playoffs (which they did). I totally remember people rushing the field and grabbing chunks of the turf. Good times.

Reaction Score
Forgot about being in the house for our win vs ND in front of Touchdown Jesus.

And was inside the Big House when Denard Robinson seemed to run for about 500 yards as Michigan gave us an over the knee spanking in front of the largest college football crowd ever at the time.
Was at both of these and was going to mention them. That Notre Dame game was something else… the UConn chants exiting that stadium were amazing. I had great seats to watch us get crushed at Michigan, thanks to my grandparents old neighbors.

Last edited:

cwh20

Six is good!
Reaction Score
I’ll add a Fenway one that was not a huge deal but was pretty cool if you were there. The Red Sox were playing their last game of the season and Dewey Evan’s was at 99 RBI’s. He needed to get one to extend his 100 RBI seasons to eight straight or whatever. So it’s down to the wire. He was the fourth batter scheduled in the eighth I think so it would probably be his final at bat if he came to the plate. Two outs and the Sox get a man on first on a walk. They pinch run for him and it was an inconsequential game but a close one so it wasn’t too bad that they sent him but it was obviously done with Evan’s in mind. Safe! Safe at second! (Said like in the Meatloaf song). Then Dewey singles and gets his RBI to cheers from the sparse crowd. Also an older gentleman was chatting with us some and was recalling some of the Boston Braves games he went to. That was fun.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Not really a one time event, but I remember going to Patriot's games at Fenway. They were the Boston Patriots at the time.

When I go to Red Sox games I still look at the field and wonder how they fit a football field in the same place.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Game 4 1978 Stanley Cup Finals - Bruins versus Canadiens in the Boston Garden.

The game is considered among the best Stanley Cup games ever with 14future Hall of Famer playing, 15 if you count Coach Scotty Bowman. The Bruins were down two games to one to the Habs, and we're playing their in Boston, so it definitely had a must win feel about it. Tied at the end of the first the Canadians took a 2-1 lead at the end of the second period. The Bruins tied the game early in the third and then went ahead 3-2. With time running out the Canadians pulled their goalie and tied the game. With their backs against the wall the Bruins won it in overtime 4-3. The Garden went crazy. A buddy of mine and I started chanting we are number one and it rapidly spread around the old garden for a deafening cheer. Pretty cool for a 17-year-old.

Outside, the streets were like a party, packed with people still cheering, high-fiving, hugging, etc. It was amazing. Sadly, it was the high point of that season as the Canadians took the last two games 1-0, but it was an amazing moment in time. Hockey was huge back in the 70s and the Bruins and the Habs had a great rivalry.

Reaction Score
I was at the Jets home opener last year - crazy range of emotions that game and Kemba game winner against Nova in 2011.

Reaction Score
August 4, 1985 - Tom Seaver's 300th win, White Sox beat the Yanks 4-1 with Seaver throwing a complete game
I hosted Carlton Fisk at the GHO in the mid-90s. Asked him what his most memorable game was. he said everyone thinks it's game 6 of the '75 World Series but no - catching Seaver's 300th back in NYC in the house that Ruth built was it!

Reaction Score
I believe it was 1975. Yankees sox Shea Stadium. Yaz and Fred Lynn make circus catches with became part of NBC's opening montage for years.

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
A few come to mind:

I haven't gone to many baseball games in my life, but I've somehow managed to attend two no-hitters. The first was Stephen Strasburg's no-hitter in college (SDSU) against Air Force in 2009 or so. It was the only one in his life, as I understand it.

The second was a random and sparsely attended April game at Citi when Chris Heston, of all people, no-hit the Mets.

I also saw Charles Barkley grab his 10,000th career rebound in Phoenix, in 1995 or so. That was significant because he was one of only a few to enter the 20k pts/10k reb. club.

I saw Tom Brady break the all-time passing yards record as a Buc, in Foxboro.

Reaction Score
My first time in AZ I went to a Suns game to see Cliffy play
against the Sacramento Kings . They were totally dominate and had a 30 point + lead at the half.
Which they totally blew and lost going away Chris Webber was totally unstoppable. It had to be among the most amazing comebacks or collapses ever. Teams get more resistance in a layup line .
I saw both the Georgetown and Syracuse wins at the Hartford Civic Center in 1990 which announced the dream season. Most amazing defense against two great teams.
I saw the Whalers blow a big lead in the third period to the Bruins in a playoff game being pummeled by objects from Bruin fans .
I saw the fight between the UConn Husky mascot against the St John’s mascot in a game were we lead all the way but Perno figured a way to lose and as the clocked ticked down their fans chanted “Where is the Puppy now.” Humiliating.
Last year I saw the first game in Storrs in 2023 thanks to my brand new dad at the time Branson. and the last game in Glendale in 2024 thanks to AzHuskie who I took to his first UConn game in the Old New Haven Coliseum when he was 9-10 .
It was my first FF after being a fan for 70 years . Amazing experience.
i was also in Hartford in 2022 on a night it actually snowed ( a novelty to me) in a game against Buffalo
We started slowly Sanogo was struggling and Hawkins was cold and the game seemed stuck on a 12-12 score when Hurley went to his bench with this big guy from Bristol and a kid from Cali plus the rest of that amazing bench and in five minutes it was game over.
i suspected right there this team was going to be special .
I was in Yankee Stadium for Mickey Mantle Day my first hero as a kid .
I had the privilege to be taken to Yankee Stadium as a small boy for an Old Timers game where this legendary men where introduced and played so I can claim having seen these men play .
Mickey Mantle was my first hero as a kid too.

Reaction Score
Opening night at Gampel in 1990. Still have great photos from inside Gampbell and from the jungle quad fire.

Tuck rule game (Pats/Raiders). The tying field goal was kicked right at us … we didn’t think it had a chance.

Reaction Score
Opening night at Gampel.
But even better, the VCU game in the field house NIT 1988. So loud there was fog from the rafters shaking - all the dust from decades shaken off from the noise.
As awesome as Gampel opening night was, the NIT VCU game was better. Literally almost on the court under the basket, we were talking to Tate during the game.

Reaction Score
I’ll add a random one…

I was there on 18 at the TPC with my dad for the playoff hole where Spieth holed out from the bunker. I swear the ground shook.

Reaction Score
Not one of my favorite memories, but I was at Maples Pavilion in 2010 when the UConn women had their 90-game win streak broken by Stanford.

Reaction Score
Sports related but happened after the game. Went to a Hawks - Knicks game at MSG when Dominique Wilkins was playing for Atlanta and his brother Gerald Wilkins was playing for the Knicks. Dominique had his usual good game but Gerald had a great game actually outscoring Dominique. After the game we were in Charley O's and Dominique and some friends were standing next to us.. We all started talking and even gave Dominique a bit of a hard time since Gerald outscored him - he took it in great stride and played along.

All was going well until my idiot friend (a few too many beers) said to him "Dominique, that's a girls name isn't it". I didn't know what was going to happen then but didn't think it would be good. Dominique just turned his back and that was the end of it but till then we were having a good time.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Sports related but happened after the game. Went to a Hawks - Knicks game at MSG when Dominique Wilkins was playing for Atlanta and his brother Gerald Wilkins was playing for the Knicks. Dominique had his usual good game but Gerald had a great game actually outscoring Dominique. After the game we were in Charley O's and Dominique and some friends were standing next to us.. We all started talking and even gave Dominique a bit of a hard time since Gerald outscored him - he took it in great stride and played along.

All was going well until my idiot friend (a few too many beers) said to him "Dominique, that's a girls name isn't it". I didn't know what was going to happen then but didn't think it would be good. Dominique just turned his back and that was the end of it but till then we were having a good time.
At least he didn't start singing...

Reaction Score
I was there when ARod hit 600

I was there when Mo struck out Bonds…Same game as bonds 500+ shot at Yankee Stadium
I was there at Fenway for A-Rod's first game back after suspension and saw Jake Peavy drill him (he later homered iirc). That was fun. Was not there when 'tek punched him, that would've been even more fun. Despite all that, and being a Sox fan, I do think he's a good booth guy.

Reaction Score
Have lived in New England almost all of my life, but...while living in FL, I saw, the TB Rays 1st game ever, their first playoff game ever, and Wade Boggs 3,000th hit (gomer) all at the Trop. While some of those were quite a while ago, they all had one thing in common - the Trop might be the worst facility in all of professional sports?

Also saw the TB Lightning first game ever, where we actually tailgated for hockey (go figure), at the fairgrounds in Tampa, and saw Chris Konos score 4 goals.

Reaction Score
Wade Boggs 3000 hit a homerun in Tampa
Saw Sammy sosa hit 3 - 3 run homers in coors field
Was also there for Boggs' hit...and tossed used ticket over the fence in the smoking area to a buddy who had no ticket, but lived down the street, so he could get in. too

Reaction Score
‘90 Big East Semis against GTown. Arrived early and yelled across an empty arena at Brent Musburger who barely acknowledged the team that year (he was knocked off his perch by CBS weeks later, replaced by Jim Nantz).

A great win against a team that spanked the boys handily at the Cap Center the week before after the famous UConn win in Januar

Yelling across an empty arena reminds me of, a few times, I've been to hoops games to watch my team on the road and screamed "miss!!!" as loud as I possibly could when the home team is at the free throw line. Includes one time at UMass, when Hurley was at URI. NOT a big crowd....screamed out MISS!!! at the top of my lungs and I felt like everyone in the arena turned to look...including Dan, who gave great big smile. I'm pretty sure Rhody won, but, the Hurley look was definitely the highlight.

Reaction Score
1. Saw Ted Williams hit a double off the Monster against the Orioles in 1958. My Dad took me to my 1st baseball game.
2. Saw Lew Alcindor and UCLA play at MSG in the Holiday Festival in the mid 1960’s.
3. Sat in 2nd row behind the UConn basket in Hartford prior to the roof collapse In 1978. UConn upset UMass and Prince Alex Eldridge that night.

Reaction Score
I've mentioned this before, but not in awhile. I was taking a leak at Bobby V's in Norwalk and noticed the guy peeing next to me was Brent Musburger. I did not say anything to him or bother him in any way.

However. I did note that he didn't wash his hands afterwards.
Good one! 'nother bathroom story... was at a Tampa Bay (whatever the Arena League team was at the time), right around the time before the Lightning started. Phil Esposito was a big part of the Lightning coming to Tampa and I spotted him across the arena. In the St. Pete Times that day, there was an ad for the Lightning and I got one inside the arena, carefully tore out the pic of the hockey puck, walked over to the other side of the arena to get him to sign it. Got over there, decided I'd take a leak first, and there's Phil in the next slot. Didn't say anything (we both washed hands), but as soon as we were out of there, I asked him to sign it, which he did. Still have it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom