I think the future is Army vs Navy for me........ | The Boneyard

I think the future is Army vs Navy for me........

Reaction Score
Also maybe Yale-Harvard, Amherst-Williams......

Kids who want to play because they love the game and want to represent their school with pride. Sure, it's not the best football with the best athletes, but the love and passion is there and not poluted with all the money.

For me, big-time college football has gone off the rails. The behavior of these institutions of higher learning is sad. No leadership, little in the way of a moral compass....all setting a truly awful example for the young people these programs are supposed to be offering guidance.

Case in point....last season's Orange Bowl. I never thought I would see that level of disconnect from a major college football program in such a prestigous bowl. Never! .....and it won't be the last time.

Reaction Score
Also maybe Yale-Harvard, Amherst-Williams......

Kids who want to play because they love the game and want to represent their school with pride. Sure, it's not the best football with the best athletes, but the love and passion is there and not poluted with all the money.

For me, big-time college football has gone off the rails. The behavior of these institutions of higher learning is sad. No leadership, little in the way of a moral compass....all setting a truly awful example for the young people these programs are supposed to be offering guidance.

Case in point....last season's Orange Bowl. I never thought I would see that level of disconnect from a major college football program in such a prestigous bowl. Never! .....and it won't be the last time.
How about basketball? We are playing/paying for big time athletes there.

Reaction Score
Understand where you are coming from, however I think that most players on an fbs roster are still there because they love the game (you cant get to that level of the sport without it) and I'd bet that most take pride in their school. The difference now is that player mobility has added another element which is short term economic gain for the athlete. Sure Ivy and FCS football is good but remember that the Ivy and FCS players themselves are a significant part of the portal each year and thus part of the "problem" as you see it.

Reaction Score
Understand where you are coming from, however I think that most players on an fbs roster are still there because they love the game (you cant get to that level of the sport without it) and I'd bet that most take pride in their school. The difference now is that player mobility has added another element which is short term economic gain for the athlete. Sure Ivy and FCS football is good but remember that the Ivy and FCS players themselves are a significant part of the portal each year and thus part of the "problem" as you see it.
I agree that most players on an FBS roster are there because they love the game.

Seems to me that most of the Ivy players in the portal are graduates who have used up their eligibility in the Ivy League, but not the NCAA. They are in the portal because they want to keep playing but won't be playing professionally. I don't see them as part of the problem.

Reaction Score
At a certain level, players are aiming at a NFL career. I think that non playoff bowls will lose good players. You see a main guy go down late in season and his NFL stock devalued, and you might think about risking major future earnings to play in a bowl game.

The school spirit aspect is still existent but the days of “winning one for the Gipper” are past.

Reaction Score
Watch whatever you like, it’s still a free country, however if you’re going to adopt a jaded view toward football you should keep that same energy when discussing basketball.

Guys are making millions to sign with particular schools, transferring multiple times, and still going one and done if they choose. The game is littered with seedy AAU Coaches, handlers, and agents cutting deals all over the country. The revenue sports are broken, makes no sense hanging the blame on one and not the other.

Reaction Score
To be clear, I see college hoops (both men and women, btw) heading in the same direction as football. Yes, I've enjoyed the last two NCs. But, like football, the programs with the best access to funding will attract and retain the best talent. The playing field will be extremely unfair with a handful of programs always holding the best talent.

Just doesn't hold that much appeal to me.....

Reaction Score
To be clear, I see college hoops (both men and women, btw) heading in the same direction as football. Yes, I've enjoyed the last two NCs. But, like football, the programs with the best access to funding will attract and retain the best talent. The playing field will be extremely unfair with a handful of programs always holding the best talent.

Just doesn't hold that much appeal to me.....
I don't think its headed there, it already is. That feeling we enjoyed watching the the back to back ships is the same Alabama and Georgia football fans want to monopolize as well.

If anything this has leveled the playing field. We all knew SEC schools were paying for players. DJ Fluker said ", i took money at Alabama", but Nick Saban retires cause everyone could pay now?

Reaction Score
I don't think its headed there, it already is. That feeling we enjoyed watching the the back to back ships is the same Alabama and Georgia football fans want to monopolize as well.

If anything this has leveled the playing field. We all knew SEC schools were paying for players. DJ Fluker said ", i took money at Alabama", but Nick Saban retires cause everyone could pay now?
I generally agree. That said, NIL is still in its relative infancy. These funding programs are going to make a lot more money available to players as they develop. I have no idea if UCONN will be able to compete over the long-term. Frankly, I don't really care because it's not a model that interests me.

Reaction Score
For me, college football has lost a lot of my interest due to the lack of parity in the playoff. I don't care as much about the money, it was inevitable in college sports, but I want to see a variety of teams competing for a championship from year to year. I watch every UConn football game at this point and that's mostly it. The P2 has a much greater strangle hold over the sport. I've considered paying more attention to FCS, not sure if there's more parity there.

Basketball still has the parity (for now at least - I understand that may change in the future). But last year's Final Four was a lot of fun with two mid majors, Miami, and UConn. Obviously it's more fun with UConn winning lately, but even without UConn there, having a range of teams making the final four from year to year is more fun.

Reaction Score
Basketball has arrived at the no longer for the love of the game point it looks like

Reaction Score
I have the Coast Guard Academy nearby and their football stadium overlooks the Thames River, great spot to watch a game...

Reaction Score
So far, UConn doesn't have a true football rivalry. If we get into the ACC, maybe it could be BC, Syracuse or even Pitt.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have the Coast Guard Academy nearby and their football stadium overlooks the Thames River, great spot to watch a game...
I have never been there for a game, but that sounds nice. It sounds like dressing a game at West Point.

Reaction Score
I have never been there for a game, but that sounds nice. It sounds like dressing a game at West Point.
I know you are in NJ but the best game to come would be their homecoming then maybe head up to Storrs....I t was even better when their bark Eagle was docked at their wharf. Its now docks at Fort Trumball downriver.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I know you are in NJ but the best game to come would be their homecoming then maybe head up to Storrs....I t was even better when their bark Eagle was docked at their wharf. Its now docks at Fort Trumball downriver.
I've been there a few times over the years. It's a pretty spot right on the Thames. I've been on the Eagle, as well. Seeing a game does sound like fun, but, to be honest, I don't get up to Rentschler Field as much as I would like either.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
I never tired of watching the subs coming home. Sailfest was great too when the tall ships came in. Never got a chance to watch Coast Guard games though.

Reaction Score
Basketball has arrived at the no longer for the love of the game point it looks like

Absolutely - and football got there even earlier. Over the last few years we've seen players, particularly starting QBs for top teams, "surprisingly" staying in "school." There's no surprise. They can make far more playing for Football-team-with-a-school-attached-U than by being a late round draft pick or UDFA. Let's see, I can make 7 figures and have all the girls I want here, or I can go to camp and fight to make league minimum or even a practice squad salary. Unless you are going to be a high round draft pick it's really a smart choice to stay, particularly since the portal makes players virtual free agents every year so the Bamas, Georgias, et al will up the ante to keep or acquire talent.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Absolutely - and football got there even earlier. Over the last few years we've seen players, particularly starting QBs for top teams, "surprisingly" staying in "school." There's no surprise. They can make far more playing for Football-team-with-a-school-attached-U than by being a late round draft pick or UDFA. Let's see, I can make 7 figures and have all the girls I want here, or I can go to camp and fight to make league minimum or even a practice squad salary. Unless you are going to be a high round draft pick it's really a smart choice to stay, particularly since the portal makes players virtual free agents every year so the Bamas, Georgias, et al will up the ante to keep or acquire talent.

A lot more basketball players will stay in school, which will make the college, and pro, game better.

Reaction Score

If this was true NIL, then think it's a win for everyone. The player gets paid, the school gets to keep the player, and the company gets a spokesperson. But in most cases this is just pay-to-play from wealthy alums. The schools and athletic departments must feel conflicted. $2mm from alums is $2mm taken away from the school for the endowment, athletic facilities, buildings, etc. At schools with muti-billion dollar endowments, this may not be a big deal, I'd think it's an issue at many schools (including UConn). Schools are going to have to do a cost-benefit analysis on chasing big time sports.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom