I think DT is ready for another olympic ride | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I think DT is ready for another olympic ride

Reaction Score
While I get the gist of what you're saying, the U.S.A. Head Coach Cheryl Reeve doesn't have the final say.
The USA Basketball Women’s National Team Player Selection Committee makes the decisions on who makes the team.

Coach Reeve would certainly make recommendations.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Coach Reeve would certainly make recommendations.
Yup. As noted in a more detailed post:
"...the favored style of play and input of the Head Coach has to factor in to some degree. And the U.S.A. has a new coach in Cheryl Reeve. One of her benefits is that she sees the vast majority of these players in the WNBA as head coach of the Lynx."

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yes, considering what DT has given to USA basketball. You know, just a smidgen of loyalty.

And for the argument that she should move aside to groom younger players, it's a grand total of 1 position on the team. Looking at the big picture, is that really going to make much of a difference?
Would you feel the same if, say, Sylvia Fowles or Tamika Catching wanted to play in another Olympics?

Reaction Score
Ionescu, Loyd, and Gray are locks. Jackie Young probably makes it at this point as well.
Keep in mind that there is a 3x3 Olympic competition that happens simultaneously. Some guards are more suited for the 3x3 than being in the 5x5 competition.

I am not sure of the coordination of the selection for both...

Reaction Score
Thanks Nan, I remember that! For some reason it thought USA basketball wasn't going to send amateur athletes to the Olympics anymore but I could have just gotten confused.
1992 was when we started sending pros to the Olympics. We had long accused the Soviet Union and the Eastern Bloc countries of paying their athletes, so we agreed to vote to scrap the "amateur" requirement. The only non-pro on the '92 Dream Team was Duke's Christian Laettner.

Reaction Score
At this point, i don't think DT is one of the best 4-5 American guards in the WNBA, so unless she will go as the 12th player (the veteran to teach the new kids what is that to play for team USA) which i do not see DT wanting (she is way too competitive to be sitting on the bench as a 12th player), then she should not be on the next Olympic team.

Reaction Score
Even if she's competitive, I think DT would be ready to be 12th to share her experience, she 's a player-coach by nature

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The selection for the team should absolutely be merit based. One of the things that will be considered is "having been there before". Diana Taurasi has been on the Olympic women's basketball team five times before and five times before came home with the gold medal. She understands the process, and the pressures in a way no other candidate does. That has value. It isn't the only thing she brings, by any means, but it is definitely something she brings that no one else has.

Ultimately the selection committee, with the input of Coach Reeves will decide who's worthy of being on the team. There's no doubt in my mind that Taurasi will get very strong consideration, justifiably.

Reaction Score
Yup. As noted in a more detailed post:
"...the favored style of play and input of the Head Coach has to factor in to some degree. And the U.S.A. has a new coach in Cheryl Reeve. One of her benefits is that she sees the vast majority of these players in the WNBA as head coach of the Lynx."
My apology , but I gave up trying to get thru detailed posts.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Curious to hear people's perspectives. Who is in line for a spot next year? My current thoughts are the following candidates:

Front court:
A'ja Wilson-lock
Breanna Stewart-lock

Aliyah Boston
Brittney Griner-returnee
Alyssa Thomas
Napheesa Collier-lock
Elena Delle Donne-lock

Nneka Ogwumike

Back court:
Jewell Loyd-lock
Chelsea Gray-lock

Arike Ogunbowale
Kelsey Plum-3x3 returnee
Jackie Young-lock, 3x3 returnee
Sabrina Ionescu
Caitlin Clark
Allisha Gray-3x3 returnee
Kahleah Copper
Diana Taurasi-returnee
Skylar Diggins-Smith-returnee
Kelsey Mitchell

The front court is going to be brutal to get a spot. Sadly I think Nneka will probably be the odd woman out again. If they go with 6 from that group, I think Thomas is the other odd woman out. Wilson/Stewart should anchor the team, EDD if she wants to play is so efficient that she'll get a spot, and Collier should be a lock with how she's played as of late + Reeves coaching. I'd expect them to give BG a spot since they need a true center, and Boston is another young stud who fills Sylvia Fowles spot well. I wouldn't be surprised if BG/EDD skip out though which opens up spots for others.

Back court is more wild wild west, especially since 3 of the candidates were players on 3x3 in 2021. Hard to make projections considering potentially 3 of those players will be playing 3x3 again. You also have a legacy player in DT who isn't an Olympic caliber player anymore but might get a spot due to merit/experience. Diggins-Smith too is a wild card since she's been out this year and didn't seem very coachable or "team chemistry" oriented last year in the W. Arike too I don't see as a good chemistry fit but should get consideration based on pure talent. If I'm Reeves, I'd 100% pick up Clark and give consideration to Paige if she reverts to 2021 form. They're the future of USA basketball's backcourt and would be stars in the league right now. I also think Ionescu still has great upside and is worth taking, along with Copper who is a tremendous athlete. I'm sure there'll be a lot of chatter once the team gets announced--there are always more deserving players competing than spots available.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Curious to hear people's perspectives. Who is in line for a spot next year? My current thoughts are the following candidates:

Front court:
A'ja Wilson-lock
Breanna Stewart-lock

Aliyah Boston
Brittney Griner-returnee
Alyssa Thomas
Napheesa Collier-lock
Elena Delle Donne-lock

Nneka Ogwumike

The front court is going to be brutal to get a spot. Sadly I think Nneka will probably be the odd woman out again. If they go with 6 from that group, I think Thomas is the other odd woman out. Wilson/Stewart should anchor the team, EDD if she wants to play is so efficient that she'll get a spot, and Collier should be a lock with how she's played as of late + Reeves coaching. I'd expect them to give BG a spot since they need a true center, and Boston is another young stud who fills Sylvia Fowles spot well. I wouldn't be surprised if BG/EDD skip out though which opens up spots for others.
I don't see how Alyssa Thomas can be denied a spot after her stellar performance in the World Cup. I agree Aliyah Boston is the heir apparent of Fowles's spot.

I hesitate to call Collier a lock only because it's a different selection committee this time around and who knows what they're thinking.

Both Stewart and Delle Donne seem to be treated as wing-forward combos on Olympic teams and so there could be room for another post.

Reaction Score
I don't see how Alyssa Thomas can be denied a spot after her stellar performance in the World Cup. I agree Aliyah Boston is the heir apparent of Fowles's spot.

I hesitate to call Collier a lock only because it's a different selection committee this time around and who knows what they're thinking.

Both Stewart and Delle Donne seem to be treated as wing-forward combos on Olympic teams and so there could be room for another post.
I believe Stewart, Wilson, Collier, Thomas are locks. Griner, Delle Donne if they want will be. In the backcourt, Loyd, Gray, are locks, Young, Plum, Ionescu should make it. Leaves room for one player, and the way she is playing.
It should be Nneka if she wants it.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I believe Stewart, Wilson, Collier, Thomas are locks. Griner, Delle Donne if they want will be. In the backcourt, Loyd, Gray, are locks, Young, Plum, Ionescu should make it. Leaves room for one player, and the way she is playing.
It should be Nneka if she wants it.
I think it's safe to say the Nneka On Team USA ship sailed after 2020/21. And I'm still salty about it...

Reaction Score

Front court:
A'ja Wilson-lock
Breanna Stewart-lock

Aliyah Boston
Brittney Griner-returnee
Alyssa Thomas
Napheesa Collier-lock
Elena Delle Donne-lock

Nneka Ogwumike

Back court:
Jewell Loyd-lock
Chelsea Gray-lock

Arike Ogunbowale
Kelsey Plum-3x3 returnee
Jackie Young-lock, 3x3 returnee
Sabrina Ionescu
Caitlin Clark
Allisha Gray-3x3 returnee
Kahleah Copper
Diana Taurasi-returnee
Skylar Diggins-Smith-returnee
Kelsey Mitchell

Back court is more wild wild west, especially since 3 of the candidates were players on 3x3 in 2021. Hard to make projections considering potentially 3 of those players will be playing 3x3 again. You also have a legacy player in DT who isn't an Olympic caliber player anymore but might get a spot due to merit/experience. Diggins-Smith too is a wild card since she's been out this year and didn't seem very coachable or "team chemistry" oriented last year in the W. Arike too I don't see as a good chemistry fit but should get consideration based on pure talent. If I'm Reeves, I'd 100% pick up Clark and give consideration to Paige if she reverts to 2021 form. They're the future of USA basketball's backcourt and would be stars in the league right now. I also think Ionescu still has great upside and is worth taking, along with Copper who is a tremendous athlete. I'm sure there'll be a lot of chatter once the team gets announced--there are always more deserving players competing than spots available.
Is there any indication Paige or Clark are interested in going for the Olympics next year? Considering Caitlin didn’t go out for team USA this summer and Paige’s injury histories it seems plausible neither would be interested in trying out next year and haven’t heard either mention it as a goal.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think it's safe to say the Nneka On Team USA ship sailed after 2020/21. And I'm still salty about it...
Yeah the committee certainly didn't do her any favors last time. All talk about loyalty to players who have been committed to USA basketball...it only counts for some, not all.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

In the same vein that you applied to Collier, I'd say that there is a new coaching staff, as well as a committee, and they could have a say on whether Stewie and Delle Donne will be used as a wing-forward combination going forward. Stewie is still in the prime of her playing career but I'm not certain EDD has the quickness she used to have to move around the perimeter, particularly on defense.

Once again, a lot depends on overall team composition.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Is there any indication Paige or Clark are interested in going for the Olympics next year? Considering Caitlin didn’t go out for team USA this summer and Paige’s injury histories it seems plausible neither would be interested in trying out next year and haven’t heard either mention it as a goal.
At this point I don’t think there is any indication, though I’d assume both would be interested particularly if they’re in the W. I’d expect USA to stick with vets but am just thinking of what I think is best for USA basketball’s future. In reality though, USA is so talented they could field 3 squads and likely place Gold/Silver/Bronze, so they’ll be fine whether they take younger players or stick with vets.

Reaction Score
Even if she's competitive, I think DT would be ready to be 12th to share her experience, she 's a player-coach by nature
I've watched her a couple times this year and if she is one of the best guards the WNBA is in real trouble. I was a huge fan of DT and think she is one of the best players I have watched over the years but right now she looks like the player that didn't know when to hang up the sneakers.

Loyalty has nothing to do with the Olympics and she has gotten to go on several occasions. If they pick her for any reason other than her ability they are making a mockery of the games. I am very sorry for sounding so harsh because I am a huge fan of hers but even a bigger fan of fair play.

Reaction Score
At this point I don’t think there is any indication, though I’d assume both would be interested particularly if they’re in the W. I’d expect USA to stick with vets but am just thinking of what I think is best for USA basketball’s future. In reality though, USA is so talented they could field 3 squads and likely place Gold/Silver/Bronze, so they’ll be fine whether they take younger players or stick with vets.
Yea fair, I just think if Clark has any interest she would have tried out for either the 3 on 3 team or the u23 team. Hailey Van Lith talked about having the Olympics as a goal for next year as a reason she went for the 3 on 3 team. Maybe she’ll still give it a shot if she goes to the WNBA but it’s seems like a very long shot if she hasn’t played for team USA in a while. Brink will probably go for it as well.

Bueckers just seems like an unrealistic goal for her at this point if I’m being honest. I could see her wanting to do it but I would be surprised if tens USA has any interest.

Reaction Score
I've watched her a couple times this year and if she is one of the best guards the WNBA is in real trouble. I was a huge fan of DT and think she is one of the best players I have watched over the years but right now she looks like the player that didn't know when to hang up the sneakers.

Loyalty has nothing to do with the Olympics and she has gotten to go on several occasions. If they pick her for any reason other than her ability they are making a mockery of the games. I am very sorry for sounding so harsh because I am a huge fan of hers but even a bigger fan of fair play.
Thank you. You're being reasonable and truthful, not harsh. IMO

Reaction Score
The idea that the team needs veteran leadership is total BS. The last version of the team was the most effective team in years. They were totally dominant and ran like a well oiled machine. If anything bringing in an aging vet would ruin the present chemistry. This present team has an entirely differnt presonality and bringing in a player from the old team would do that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom