I still think Temple / Memphis were awful additions | Page 4 | The Boneyard

I still think Temple / Memphis were awful additions

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
UVa and UNC are sleeping giants, football wise. They are in a fertile recruiting area and have ceded players to the SEC in the past, but now that all the TV money is getting waved around, schools are investing in football. Look for them to start appearing often in the top 25.
UNC's gonna get the death penalty before they start dominating college football

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's just tough for Temple to get support in Philly. If you're a college football fan living in Philly, you're most likely a PSU fan. I think they can draw some eyeballs because of the local connection, but even in a 10-2 season I don't see them drawing much north of 30k. And they're not playing a Mac schedule any more. Philly fans are fickle - if Temple goes 2-5 this season in the BE, it'll be same old Temple and they'll lose any momentum they had gained over the past 3 seasons.

If Temple goes 2-5 this season it would be a surprise. It would also make 2 teams look really bad.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I hate football only members. I'm glad that we've decided it's only suitable for western teams and service academies. Even the western teams will be looking for the first train out of dodge unless they get full membership one day though.

I think schools like Memphis and Temple will flourish with full membership, especially on the court. Having a large fanbase for successful basketball programs can help translate into football fan support. That's what happened here anyway. The disparity between Temple or Memphis at full fan support accross all sports programs vs. ECU at full fan support is huge due to the difference in market size. The upside at Temple or Memphis is so much higher. There is also less college sports saturation in PA or TN than there is in NC. PA and TN have 2 BCS programs each whereas NC has 4. I'd take the bet on PA and TN's 3rd college teams over NC's 5th everytime.

You can't compare UConn with Temple and Memphis. UConn does not have to compete with Penn State, Tennessee and Mississippi.

Reaction Score
You can't compare UConn with Temple and Memphis. UConn does not have to compete with Penn State, Tennessee and Mississippi.

No, what we have is New England's College Team. They are the dominant sports brand in all of New England you know.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Memphis moves to 0-2 with losses to Tennessee-Martin and Arkansas State.

They're so bad we actually may throw a passing TD vs them next season.

Reaction Score
To be fair (since my last post may have sounded overly harsh), Whaler does indeed love UConn and will make some good posts (which I "like"). But it just seems that every fourth post he puts up is one aiming at a battle with someone for no apparent purpose over some mundane statement. Once every eighth post is a battle with me! ;)
Every fourth post he picks a battle???? I've been tabulating using the 'Argumentative Scoring Scale' (ASS for short), and he is at 1 every 2.4 posts.

Just sayin...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Every fourth post he picks a battle???? I've been tabulating using the 'Argumentative Scoring Scale' (ASS for short), and he is at 1 every 2.4 posts.

Just sayin...

He's a good dude. He just gets a little "carried away" sometimes... ;)

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

I disagree. Jim Calhoun would disagree, Geno would disagree, Susan would disagree, and Lew Perkins would disagree. The entire point of upgrading the FB program was to compete with the major public institutions like the ones you mention and their conference mates, athletically, academically, in research, and in student recruitment. They are our peers. We not only compete with them but best them in many areas besides basketball. It's FB and our association with the NNNBE that dings our national reputation.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I disagree. Jim Calhoun would disagree, Geno would disagree, Susan would disagree, and Lew Perkins would disagree. The entire point of upgrading the FB program was to compete with the major public institutions like the ones you mention and their conference mates, athletically, academically, in research, and in student recruitment. They are our peers. We not only compete with them but best them in many areas besides basketball. It's FB and our association with the NNNBE that dings our national reputation.

Compete for fans and eyeballs locally. Not in the big picture athletically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom