I still strongly believe Edsall is a terrible hire | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I still strongly believe Edsall is a terrible hire

Status
Not open for further replies.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I really wish I could join in the parade. I was ecstatic when we fired Diaco like everyone else, but I lost much of my enthusiasm with the Edsall pick.

I absolutely knew that when I started this post most people would be angry, and would not look favorably on what I had to say. I get it, we just had to endure back to back eras of PP and Diaco, we are hungry for any good news regarding our football team, but viewing this objectively this is a bad hire.

So why even post about how this is a bad hire, because it was due to the fans that pushed Benedict to fire Diaco. The less objective we are in our view of Edsall the longer his leash will be. The signs are there that he will not be a very good coach and I hope fans will not ignore it and be objective so we don't have to give him a longer leash than PP or Diaco.

Football drives the bus, other schools seem to understand that and look to hire coaches who will be homeruns. I absolutely believe that UConn should be on top of the list of expansion candidates, but the recurring theme was UConn's football did not offer what the other AAC school's football programs offered. We can't tell the P5 conferences "hey the other schools are racking up 9,10 win seasons and getting top 25 votes but at least we are consistently mediocre"

Nah. I love KO. He is the perfect coach for UConn. He has brought us a national championship already, brought in a top 10 recruit, and said from Day 1 that his dream school was UConn (not Maryland ;)). We are riddled with many injuries to our top players, any team would struggle if they suffered the same injuries.

Nope, I am not going away. I bleed blue, and I will always cheer for the program. I have a right to my opinion which I based on facts, and of course most of the responses to my OP didn't address any of the facts I laid out. It gives me no joy to start this post. I really, really hope I'm wrong. This will be the last post I write regarding Edsall until the results start coming in.

Many of you can continue to call me an idiot (this is the boneyard of course), but I care about the program and I don't take any of "witty" remarks (aka insults) to heart. Enjoy the New Years guys!

Yikes... Perfect coach for UConn isn't someone learning to be a head coach on the job...

Reaction Score
I don't think the OP is unfair but...

The money came from someone who wanted Edsall. There aren't exactly a bunch of slam dunk candidates interested in the job (there are literally none).

You can't get to the top til you get to the middle.
This post makes the most logical sense. Someone (Burton?) funded this buyout. Money talks, bull fish walks. Money said bring back the ed.

Reaction Score
oh, Jesus

Yes, take out all of the losses that for some reason don't count. But then let's take out the FCS wins. But then should we count the FCS losses as double? And then let's divide the ranked team losses by 1.5x, because he was in trailers! and then let's multiply the ranked team wins, I mean win, by 5x, because he was in trailers!

Apologista in overdrive. You have gone off the deep end.

This is incredibly insightful. You can measure a coach by simply the numbers with no context at all. This is why Greg Schiano shouldn't became a hero in NJ for delivering 7, 8 and 9 win seasons for Rutgers, while a coach at USC or Auburn winning 8 games shouldn't be fired. This is why a coach going 6-6 at Michigan is no worse than a coach going 6-6 at Indiana. Because you get it and everyone else in the world who looks for context knows nothing.

Seriously, at least pretend that you want your posts to be taken seriously.

Reaction Score
This is incredibly insightful. You can measure a coach by simply the numbers with no context at all. This is why Greg Schiano shouldn't became a hero in NJ for delivering 7, 8 and 9 win seasons for Rutgers, while a coach at USC or Auburn winning 8 games shouldn't be fired. This is why a coach going 6-6 at Michigan is no worse than a coach going 6-6 at Indiana. Because you get it and everyone else in the world who looks for context knows nothing.

Seriously, at least pretend that you want your posts to be taken seriously.
Biz, I give you a lot of credit for even attempting to figure out that post.

Reaction Score
The recruiting has been awful for 5-6 years and won't improve quickly given the league stuff

Edsall is certainly better at developing low ranked kids than Diaco and PP

pj

Reaction Score
I don't think Edsall is going to take UConn to dizzying heights. But his emotional ties to UConn football will steady the sinking ship and build a platform for future success. I think he'll be here until he's ready to retire and we'll all celebrate what he did for UConn football.

Agreed. He can bring us back to average and then UConn will have a second chance to replace Randy Edsall.

Reaction Score
And who exactly are these heros of the sideline? Of the coaches being mentioned none were sure things. And the guy most of the Boneyard seemed to covet, Joe Moorhead, was asked about Edsall by the Rose Bowl media yesterday. I'll accept his assessment.

Mostly coach speak but the most interesting thing is they are going to talk!
Hopefully RE wants to talk about Moorheads former OC and now Head Coach at Fordham(Breiner)
for the OC at UConn.

That works for me.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with the OP, but I can see where he's coming from. I also think he's presented his case in a fair and logical manner, and hasn't taken gratuitous shots at anyone except maybe HCRE, and some were deserved.
I think the love fest is more about FHC Zany Bob being gone, then it is about HCRE. The honeymoon will be long, especially now that we know how low it can get if a bad choice is made.
Overall the OP is expressing what a lot of fans are feeling. I hope and trust that "The ED" will do well in his return, and certainly better than PP or Zany Bob. Yet and still, the old Reagan quote applies here: "Trust, but verify"!

Last edited:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
HCRE knows how to build the program and he knows recruiting of under-recruited players.

After the last two disasters, he is what UConn and the program needed.

Reaction Score
There is no "love fest." I can't think of one poster here who was rooting for this result. What there is is a knowledge that we are better off than last week and the hope that we can recover a program where going to football games was fun.

Everyone knows Randy Edsall isn't Les Miles. No one minds discussing apprehensions. But, apparently, many UConn fans besides myself aren't in a mode to hear outrage even if in hiring him we're "just" trying to get back to 8 win seasons being normal.

Reaction Score
There is no "love fest." I can't think of one poster here who was rooting for this result. What there is is a knowledge that we are better off than last week and the hope that we can recover a program where going to football games was fun.

Everyone knows Randy Edsall isn't Les Miles. No one minds discussing apprehensions. But, apparently, many UConn fans besides myself aren't in a mode to hear outrage even if in hiring him we're "just" trying to get back to 8 win seasons being normal.

You are wrong about there being no love fest, and I can name 1 poster who was rooting for this hire. Two if you think I'm full of it regarding your perceived non-love fest.

Reaction Score

If Skiblets and SDHuksky's posts are not love fests, then I do not know what a love fest is.

Reaction Score
If Skiblets and SDHuksky's posts are not love fests, then I do not know what a love fest is.

Look, I understand it's semantics to some extent but SDHusky wasn't out there saying hire Edsall. Neither was Skiblets. In their perfect world, everyone would have had another choice. But the choice having been made, as I said, we are light years ahead of where we were and while (and I"m only going to speak for myself but I can tell others feel the same) it's fine to point out Edsall's flaws and weaknesses, the last six years have sucked and I don't need people telling me we didn't have it better between 6 and 10 years ago or he can't get us back to what he did the first time.

Reaction Score
oh, Jesus

Yes, take out all of the losses that for some reason don't count. But then let's take out the FCS wins. But then should we count the FCS losses as double? And then let's divide the ranked team losses by 1.5x, because he was in trailers! and then let's multiply the ranked team wins, I mean win, by 5x, because he was in trailers!

Apologista in overdrive. You have gone off the deep end.
Glad to see I'm not the only one who can't figure out what part of comparative statistics you're missing.

But I'll bite. I removed the FCS and transitional pre-Rentschler years because Randy was competing with a team he recruited from a trailer, with no practice facility, no stadium (in earlier cases), and no major (or any) conference affiliation. All of these factors, except with respect to calling the AAC a "major" conference, are nonexistent now as well as the years I quoted. Thus, comparing his record when he was forming and coaching a team with these challenges and obstacles to his record when those same factors did not and still do not exist is foolish.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Look, I understand it's semantics to some extent but SDHusky wasn't out there saying hire Edsall. Neither was Skiblets. In their perfect world, everyone would have had another choice. But the choice having been made, as I said, we are light years ahead of where we were and while (and I"m only going to speak for myself but I can tell others feel the same) it's fine to point out Edsall's flaws and weaknesses, the last six years have sucked and I don't need people telling me we didn't have it better between 6 and 10 years ago or he can't get us back to what he did the first time.

What has occurred here wasn't really a choice. What likely happened is either Bob Burton, or some combination of donors probably including him, ponied up 3.4 million clams to get Crazy Bobby on the Merritt Parkway headed for the state line. The only real choice was whether or not the administration should have accepted the buyout money donation with strings attached. It likely puts a big donor or donors in the position of dictating athletic dept. decisions. That might become a slippery slope going forward, but the alternative would have been to do nothing and the lunatic is back to coach another season.

So, what we all need to ask ourselves is whether or not we're better off with the donors' hand picked choice, or another year of DiwhackoBall? I think most die hard Husky fans will answer that question on Edsall's side, even though some harbor the belief that we might have done better with a nationwide search.

Reaction Score
I would like to hear his recruiting pitch about loyalty and passion for the university when he left them at the altar for shiny new uniforms and the blonde floozy! The characteristics that he believes in left 6 years ago, the ceiling was met and won't be back for years. Lots of hoping to be a 7 win team and then wha

Reaction Score
Glad to see I'm not the only one who can't figure out what part of comparative statistics you're missing.

But I'll bite. I removed the FCS and transitional pre-Rentschler years because Randy was competing with a team he recruited from a trailer, with no practice facility, no stadium (in earlier cases), and no major (or any) conference affiliation. All of these factors, except with respect to calling the AAC a "major" conference, are nonexistent now as well as the years I quoted. Thus, comparing his record when he was forming and coaching a team with these challenges and obstacles to his record when those same factors did not and still do not exist is foolish.

ok

Reaction Score
Good comeback. So are coaches who go 6-6 at Michigan and Indiana equal? I missed your answer in your insult.

In the RE example, you are confusing "context" with "excuse". I think your point might be "well, it depends, who did they win against or lose to?" And I get that.

Of course there is context in every situation, but you are leaning on it to make an excuse. I respect your passion, but you just simply are not objective in your reasoning. UConn owes RE, I think, right?

I really don't care what you think, and that's not an insult. I have read your post game analyses, and doubt you have ever player or coached a down of football based on them. But again, I do respect your passion.

Reaction Score
I have read your post game analyses, and doubt you have ever player or coached a down of football based on them..

For those of us who may not know based on your posting history... have you played or coached (and if you have what level and years).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In the RE example, you are confusing "context" with "excuse". I think your point might be "well, it depends, who did they win against or lose to?" And I get that.

Of course there is context in every situation, but you are leaning on it to make an excuse. I respect your passion, but you just simply are not objective in your reasoning. UConn owes RE, I think, right?

I really don't care what you think, and that's not an insult. I have read your post game analyses, and doubt you have ever player or coached a down of football based on them. But again, I do respect your passion.

Not making an excuse for the first Edsall tenure because he doesn't need it.

And I did not play competitive football. Have been very clear on that.

Reaction Score
The thing that bothers me about the hire is that it doesn't matter what Boneyard posters think of it. It matters what the perception across the country is when UConn hires back a HC that bailed on them for greener pastures and then failed miserably when he got there to the point of getting fired. What does that say about UConn? Does it say that the university can't attract a successful head coach? That they can't afford a top coach? Recruits are recruits. They are either coming here or not for a myriad of reasons but for conference AD's and the schools they preside over, potential casual fans, the media(which can help or hurt perception) it looks like UConn either doesn't care or can't upgrade their football program. Just like everyone else I want Edsall to do good but for some in here trumpeting Edsall's accomplishments and poo pooing the posters that aren't just giddy with excitement you need to back off the insults.

As for that comment about Burton and a few other donors dictating who the head coach should be that is a disturbing revelation but what can you do? They are the ones willing to put their money where their opinion is. It sucks but it's reality.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
The thing that bothers me about the hire is that it doesn't matter what Boneyard posters think of it. It matters what the perception across the country is when UConn hires back a HC that bailed on them for greener pastures and then failed miserably when he got there to the point of getting fired. What does that say about UConn? Does it say that the university can't attract a successful head coach? That they can't afford a top coach? Recruits are recruits. They are either coming here or not for a myriad of reasons but for conference AD's and the schools they preside over, potential casual fans, the media(which can help or hurt perception) it looks like UConn either doesn't care or can't upgrade their football program. Just like everyone else I want Edsall to do good but for some in here trumpeting Edsall's accomplishments and poo pooing the posters that aren't just giddy with excitement you need to back off the insults.

As for that comment about Burton and a few other donors dictating who the head coach should be that is a disturbing revelation but what can you do? They are the ones willing to put their money where their opinion is. It sucks but it's reality.

Winning cures all.

PP and Diaco couldn't win at UConn. Randy could. Maybe still can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom