I still believe Edsall is the wrong coach for UConn | The Boneyard

I still believe Edsall is the wrong coach for UConn

Reaction Score
Back in December 30 2016, I made a post detailing why Edsall was a terrible hire (I copied and pasted my original post below since the thread is now locked). After the 2017 season I feel even more strongly that Edsall is not the right coach for UConn. All of the facts show this yet a large portion of the fan base continues to believe otherwise.

Last year, UConn had only 1 win against an FBS opponent with a winning record, and lost their last 5 games of the season. UConn's 2017 recruiting class was ranked 101st in the country (based on 247), the excuse was that Edsall didn't have the full time to put a good class together, unfortunately UConn's 2018 class is ranked even worse at 105th in the nation. The 2019 class is ranked 136th so far (sure this will rise but probably not above 100th).

Yea the batman signs on his twitter page are cute, but he is not getting it done in recruiting. Last season was a disaster, the only bright spot was the signifiant improvement of our offense, and the OC left after one season with Edsall, if that is not a red flag then I don't know what is.

The point of my post is not to say I told you so, the point is to reiterate how clear it was that Edsall was a terrible hire. I hope that I'll be proved wrong starting this season. My hope is to see a great and winning football product at UConn, the fans and the state deserve nothing less. I hope Edsall can get us to a bowl game this season and turn UConn into a powerhouse program, but it is so obvious that he is not a good football coach. It hurts to have to endure his below-average coaching after going through PP and Diaco.

The goal of this post is to have more fans recognize and acknowledge Edsall is not the right coach, and after another expected terrible season I hope most of the fanbase will put him squarely on the hot seat going into the 2019 season.

Once again I really hope that UConn has a fantastic season. I would love nothing more than for UConn to upset UCF and Boise to start the season (wow that would great!) or even if UConn were to get to a bowl game. However it seems UConn football will not become what it can be (based on great fanbase, best FBS program in northeast, good high school talent in northeast, level of school and state investment in the program) under Edsall.

Below is what I posted soon after Edsall was hired outlining why Edsall was a terrible choice, and all of the points continue to be true, and to an even larger degree, after the 2017 season:

I still strongly believe Edsall is a terrible hire, and much of it has nothing to do with the way he left. I don't care too much about how he left, I care more about how good of a coach he'll be and everything points to him being a below average coach thats on the decline.

Here are the facts:

1) Edsall is a career sub-.500 coach

2) Edsall in 16 years of coaching only has 1 win against a ranked team (1-26 overall record, one of the worst records amongst active coaches)

3) Edsall was a poor recruiter. Based on rivals class rankings here is where UConn ranked from 2007-2011:
- 2007: 68th
-2008: 73rd
-2009: 82nd
-2010: 93rd
-2011: Not even ranked in the top 100

He was a poor recruiter who was getting worse overtime while at UConn.

4) The whole "winningest coach ever at UConn" doesn't mean anything when he's also lost more games than any other coach at UConn

5) Based on his past, his ceiling is producing mediocre teams, and that was in a different era. The power run game will not be as successful in this day and age as it was 10 years ago.

6) Look at who the other AAC schools have hired as coaches. They routinely hire guys who are successful and play an exciting brand of football, so successful that the AAC overall has been coaching factory for top P5 schools. While we continually fire our coaches.

7) Edsall failed during his time at Maryland, and no other school wanted him, except of course UConn.

8) Being better than Diaco should never ever be the standard we should judge a hire on because any person who knows anything about football would be a better coach than Diaco.

So here we are, other schools in the AAC whose AD budgets are no where near as large as ours look to hire coaches that will get their football programs to not only play well but grab national attention while we are enthusiastic about a coach who can possibly get us back to .500 team.

The main reason why I am so disappointed with this hire is because this will cement our football team being behind the likes of UH, Cincy, UCF, USF and even Temple in the next conference realignment talks. We could go no worse than the Diaco era so Benedict had the perfect opportunity to go for an upcoming offensive guru, instead he went backwards.

Benedict needed to hit a homerun with this hire, and instead he bunted for a single.

I really hope that I am wrong but when we stop looking backwards and stop immersing ourselves in the nostalgia of previously having an 8-5 team, viewing the hire through an objective lens shows Edsall is a terrible hire.

He already has started off on the wrong foot by stating he will be splitting his time between Detroit and UConn, great sign for a guy who is really "invested" at UConn. A key recruiting time will begin in a few weeks and he won't even be here full time.

Reaction Score
Back in December 30 2016, I made a post detailing why Edsall was a terrible hire (I copied and pasted my original post below since the thread is now locked). After the 2017 season I feel even more strongly that Edsall is not the right coach for UConn. All of the facts show this yet a large portion of the fan base continues to believe otherwise.

Last year, UConn had only 1 win against an FBS opponent with a winning record, and lost their last 5 games of the season. UConn's 2017 recruiting class was ranked 101st in the country (based on 247), the excuse was that Edsall didn't have the full time to put a good class together, unfortunately UConn's 2018 class is ranked even worse at 105th in the nation. The 2019 class is ranked 136th so far (sure this will rise but probably not above 100th).

Yea the batman signs on his twitter page are cute, but he is not getting it done in recruiting. Last season was a disaster, the only bright spot was the signifiant improvement of our offense, and the OC left after one season with Edsall, if that is not a red flag then I don't know what is.

The point of my post is not to say I told you so, the point is to reiterate how clear it was that Edsall was a terrible hire. I hope that I'll be proved wrong starting this season. My hope is to see a great and winning football product at UConn, the fans and the state deserve nothing less. I hope Edsall can get us to a bowl game this season and turn UConn into a powerhouse program, but it is so obvious that he is not a good football coach. It hurts to have to endure his below-average coaching after going through PP and Diaco.

The goal of this post is to have more fans recognize and acknowledge Edsall is not the right coach, and after another expected terrible season I hope most of the fanbase will put him squarely on the hot seat going into the 2019 season.

Once again I really hope that UConn has a fantastic season. I would love nothing more than for UConn to upset UCF and Boise to start the season (wow that would great!) or even if UConn were to get to a bowl game. However it seems UConn football will not become what it can be (based on great fanbase, best FBS program in northeast, good high school talent in northeast, level of school and state investment in the program) under Edsall.

Below is what I posted soon after Edsall was hired outlining why Edsall was a terrible choice, and all of the points continue to be true, and to an even larger degree, after the 2017 season:

I still strongly believe Edsall is a terrible hire, and much of it has nothing to do with the way he left. I don't care too much about how he left, I care more about how good of a coach he'll be and everything points to him being a below average coach thats on the decline.

Here are the facts:

1) Edsall is a career sub-.500 coach

2) Edsall in 16 years of coaching only has 1 win against a ranked team (1-26 overall record, one of the worst records amongst active coaches)

3) Edsall was a poor recruiter. Based on rivals class rankings here is where UConn ranked from 2007-2011:

4) The whole "winningest coach ever at UConn" doesn't mean anything when he's also lost more games than any other coach at UConn

5) Based on his past, his ceiling is producing mediocre teams, and that was in a different era. The power run game will not be as successful in this day and age as it was 10 years ago.

6) Look at who the other AAC schools have hired as coaches. They routinely hire guys who are successful and play an exciting brand of football, so successful that the AAC overall has been coaching factory for top P5 schools. While we continually fire our coaches.

7) Edsall failed during his time at Maryland, and no other school wanted him, except of course UConn.

8) Being better than Diaco should never ever be the standard we should judge a hire on because any person who knows anything about football would be a better coach than Diaco.

So here we are, other schools in the AAC whose AD budgets are no where near as large as ours look to hire coaches that will get their football programs to not only play well but grab national attention while we are enthusiastic about a coach who can possibly get us back to .500 team.

The main reason why I am so disappointed with this hire is because this will cement our football team being behind the likes of UH, Cincy, UCF, USF and even Temple in the next conference realignment talks. We could go no worse than the Diaco era so Benedict had the perfect opportunity to go for an upcoming offensive guru, instead he went backwards.

Benedict needed to hit a homerun with this hire, and instead he bunted for a single.

I really hope that I am wrong but when we stop looking backwards and stop immersing ourselves in the nostalgia of previously having an 8-5 team, viewing the hire through an objective lens shows Edsall is a terrible hire.

He already has started off on the wrong foot by stating he will be splitting his time between Detroit and UConn, great sign for a guy who is really "invested" at UConn. A key recruiting time will begin in a few weeks and he won't even be here full time.

Your post didn't make much sense then, makes even less sense now.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Where do we start.....first you wait until the week before season two to state this. Do you really think after one season you have been proven right? The goal of your post is to have more fans agree with you that Edsall is the wrong coach? That’s just silly.

So...back when Edsall was hired.,,,who do you think would have been a better pick that would take $1mm a year? Think about the timing and financial limitations....who was the better pick?

How about you give RE another year or two before stating it was a mistake to hire him back. I don’t think anyone on here that was jumping up and down for joy with the hire...but considering the circumstances, it was a good decision. UConn wasn’t taking another chance on a coordinator without head coaching experience. And experienced head coaches aren’t taking $1mm a year.

Reaction Score
Where do we start.....first you wait until the week before season two to state this. Do you really think after one season you have been proven right? The goal of your post is to have more fans agree with you that Edsall is the wrong coach? That’s just silly.

So...back when Edsall was hired.,,,who do you think would have been a better pick that would take $1mm a year? Think about the timing and financial limitations....who was the better pick?

How about you give RE another year or two before stating it was a mistake to hire him back. I don’t think anyone on here that was jumping up and down for joy with the hire...but considering the circumstances, it was a good decision. UConn wasn’t taking another chance on a coordinator without head coaching experience. And experienced head coaches aren’t taking $1mm a year.
No one with any football accumen would start judging Edsall until 2019. And anyone that uses UConn football and powerhouse in the same sentence clearly doesnt live in this reality

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
upload_2018-8-20_20-25-35.png

Reaction Score

2007-2011:

Recruiting rankings are projections. NFL players produced are results. I'd be willing to bet that there were a number of coaches with higher recruiting rankings that didn't produce the number same number of NFL players.

Reaction Score
Go away meathead. Edsall has already done an excellent job of recruiting and the future is bright.

Reaction Score
Defense Exhibit A:

Defense rests.

KO won a national championship, had an overall winning record and brought in a top 10 recruiting class.

That being said, I think Hurley was a great hire, why because he has a great record and was one of the most sought after coaches in the country. Edsall has a poor record and no college wanted to hire him.

huskiepride

New Kid On the block
Reaction Score
i still think he gets this year to prove himself. He has his kids now and hopefully he will surprise people. We didn't really have many options when it comes to coaches anyway. I wasn't thrilled with the pick, but i feel like its doesn't hurt to bring back the only guy that has had success at this program during its fbs years. I feel like we will be back but it will just take patience. his first go didn't start smoothly, neither did jimmy's time with the mens basketball program .we just have to be patient!!! we have dealt with 7 years of crap football...i pretty sure all of you would put up with a few more if it meant the future had a chance at being brighter.

Reaction Score
UConn's 2017 recruiting class was ranked 101st in the country (based on 247), the excuse was that Edsall didn't have the full time to put a good class together, unfortunately UConn's 2018 class is ranked even worse at 105th in the nation. The 2019 class is ranked 136th so far (sure this will rise but probably not above 100th).

247 only has 3 of UConn's 7 2019 commits listed (They do not cover UConn). Rivals has the 2019 class @ 100 and the 2018 class @ 89

Reaction Score

I don’t post too often anymore (yes I know insert post that says “keep it that way”) and I was not looking forward to making this post because I knew Edsall is still viewed very favorably by most of the Yard. I did so because I thought it was very clear Edsall was not a good choice and yes the 2017 only made my belief stronger.

Your point about UConns choices being limited due to financial considerations at the time is very valid, but I still believe it was a perfect time to hire an up incoming offensive coordinator. Look at the hires made by UCF, UH, and Memphis. Great young hires that turned programs around really quickly. If those schools can find great up in coming offensive coaches then so can UConn.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Not sure why I am even acknowledging this thread. Everyone is entitled to their opinion I guess. I will say this- this years freshman class is physically ahead of any other I can remember. Once these guys gain experience, we will have a very good football team to go along with a solid program.

Reaction Score
I don’t post too often anymore (yes I know insert post that says “keep it that way”) and I was not looking forward to making this post because I knew Edsall is still viewed very favorably by most of the Yard. I did so because I thought it was very clear Edsall was not a good choice and yes the 2017 only made my belief stronger.

Your point about UConns choices being limited due to financial considerations at the time is very valid, but I still believe it was a perfect time to hire an up incoming offensive coordinator. Look at the hires made by UCF, UH, and Memphis. Great young hires that turned programs around really quickly. If those schools can find great up in coming offensive coaches then so can UConn.
Those schools are in talent hotbeds. We're not. We never will be.

Reaction Score
I always thought Edsall was a coach that fit at UConn. At least he brought us to bowl games and find diamonds in the ruff for recruits

Reaction Score
If Randy Edsall isn't the coach, then who should be? A burnout like Coach Paul Pasqualoni? A largely untried person like Bob Diaco? Often, a school like UConn if it is successful will be the target for more successful teams to hire away the coach. Randy knows the community, culture and what needs to be done to turn the program around. I don't think he would be hired away too quickly given his age.

Reaction Score
W

What’s the fun in that?

Again I will ask you the same question I asked JMick, what fact/statement was inaccurate?... I have a feeling that you, just like JMick, will avoid answering the question.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom