I simply cannot accept this | The Boneyard

I simply cannot accept this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
According to Jeff Jacobs.

"I'm convinced that in a football league with Louisville, Rutgers, Boise State and South Florida, UConn is never going to be the top tier in raw talent."

There is no reason on earth why UConn cannot recruit with teams of this caliber. None. Alabama? USC? No, not for a while anyways. But Rutgers, good god how low do some people set the bar.

Reaction Score
Rutgers was getting multiple 4-stars under Schiano. We are doing better than USF's class for next season. A new conference affiliation would help take the next step up. Unless we (or the rest of the newest Big East) start winning BCS bowls.

Reaction Score

"I'm convinced that in a football league with Louisville, Rutgers, Boise State and South Florida, UConn is never going to be the top tier in raw talent."

There is no reason on earth why UConn cannot recruit with teams of this caliber. None. Alabama? USC? No, not for a while anyways. But Rutgers, good god how low do some people set the bar.

I'm with you. Clearly I think we have somewhat of a disadvantage versus most SEC teams and the perennial top 20 programs, and for now UL and BSU have a clear edge, but Rutgers and USF? Not buying it. Clearly a "homegrown" edge, but with the right program I wouldn't worry about them at all. Our biggest enemy in the NNBE is our own decision making. Get the right staff in here and let's go.

Reaction Score

While they all have marked advantages over us (Rutgers-larger home state talent base; Boise State, Louisville, South Florida-will accept any student), I agree, it is not a good mentality to adopt that it is a "given" their talent will be better than ours. I think RU and USF are perfect examples-since we have been playing them, USF has been "faster" than us, and RU has had better ranked recruits BY A LANDSLIDE, yet my eyes tell me otherwise every time we line up against both of those teams.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

It's Jeff Jacobs. That should be enough for you not to get too worked up from what he says...

Reaction Score
I still feel the same way about Jacobs, no matter what he's writing about...
Oh, I understand. But it was still nice of him to write on PP and GDL. OK? :D

Reaction Score
There is no reason on earth why UConn cannot recruit with teams of this caliber. None. Alabama? USC? No, not for a while anyways. But Rutgers, good god how low do some people set the bar./I]
I think it's funny people still hold out hope that one day we'll be able to recruit with USC and Bama

Reaction Score
I think it's funny people still hold out hope that one day we'll be able to recruit with USC and Bama

People thought the same thing about UCONN basketball in the late 80's.

A good coach WILL make all the difference.

Who the heck ever thought Boise St would ever recruit players, and add 10-11 wins per year.

Why bother being a fan if you think there's no hope that we'll ever win ???

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

I think it's funny that people still frequent a fan chatboard in order to tell other fans of the same team that they shouldn't aspire to be great...

People thought the same thing about UCONN basketball in the late 80's.

A good coach WILL make all the difference.

Who the heck ever thought Boise St would ever recruit players, and add 10-11 wins per year.

Why bother being a fan if you think there's no hope that we'll ever win ???

both of you guys are right. i'll say it in a not so nice way. off and go root for some 1 else.

Reaction Score
We'll never be able to recruit the level of players 'Bama does, in my opinion. But I have no doubts that the players leaving the program can be just as good as the ones leaving the Alabama program.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
We'll never be able to recruit the level of players 'Bama does, in my opinion. But I have no doubts that the players leaving the program can be just as good as the ones leaving the Alabama program.

this is just silly. a drummond or gordon are great examples. u build a program and get to that level. then u get a top player or so and take it from there. if we continue to build and get a new coach here, i can see us one day a couple years from now with 5 of the 10 best new england players in a recruit class going to uconn. typically those top 10 kids go to acc/nd/b10/sec schools. no reason we cant recruit on that level one day. no reason at all. now recruit in deep numbers is another question and thats a 20 years of building thing like bball had done vs what we have done so far in fball.

Reaction Score
It's more to do with location than anything else. But if your win they will come.

Reaction Score
Just so people understand what UConn football is up against, the Sun Belt is now better than the ACC and the BE. They are taking all the kids that no one else will take (other than the SEC) and slicing through teams. ULL over Florida is not shocking to me in the least. I've been watching the Sun Belt this year, and I've been thankful that the BE teams don't schedule them. Those teams as a conference are doing what TCU and Boise St. did before them.

Reaction Score
I'm with you. Clearly I think we have somewhat of a disadvantage versus most SEC teams and the perennial top 20 programs, and for now UL and BSU have a clear edge, but Rutgers and USF? Not buying it. Clearly a "homegrown" edge, but with the right program I wouldn't worry about them at all. Our biggest enemy in the NNBE is our own decision making. Get the right staff in here and let's go.

Your last sentence says it all.

Reaction Score
I think it's apples and oranges with basketball and football. In basketball there are only five starters. If your recruit a couple of players who are either elite or develop into elite players you are well on your way to success. In football with 22 starters a couple of elite players aren't going to cut it. In 1989-90 the basketball team got a big bump in recruiting by the exposure they got when they won the BET and went to the final 8. Recruits got to watch a run of games. In football you go to one of 35 bowl games. Then it is more one and done then watch the next bowl game. The other problem is the conference. I am sure it was much easier to convince a recruit from 1000 miles away to come to the Big East to play against Syracuse or Georgetown in basketball on national TV, than it is now to play against Rutgers or Louisville in football on regional TV.

Reaction Score
Get the right coach and he can start changing that apologista view.
One concern I have is retaining a coach that has success. Lately any coach in the Big East has any success moves to greener pastures. Doug Marrone is currently the longest tenured coach in the Big East in his fourth year.

Reaction Score
We're already at the level of some football programs that have won multiple national championships in the past. That is not bad, at all.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
It's more to do with location than anything else. But if your win they will come.
Which is why, with Boise on that list, we have no reason to believe we can't elevate to the same talent level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom