I love Danny, but…. | Page 6 | The Boneyard

I love Danny, but….

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Probably the same imbecile that I saw a video of yesterday. He was leaning over a railing, yelling at UConn fans about what an Hurley is, what scumbags (or something similar) UConn fans are and started challenging people to fight. Then he got into it with some guys who must have been employees of the AMP (had hanging passes around their necks) who from appearances were just trying to calm him down (they were by the tunnel, he was leaning over the rail). Then he continually turned around, stuck his backside out and pointed to it while yelling "kiss my ass". The guy had to be my age (I'm 63). What an embarrassment.
I made a joke on Twitter that that guy was every poster on Friar Talk. Sure enough, one of their posters confirmed it was him, claimed some UConn staff guy was patrolling the stands and getting people tossed for "clean" yapping, so he was going after the staff guy. Claims he wasn't drinking, all visible evidence to the contrary.

Reaction Score
It is probably personal with him. During a podcast at last year's Final Four, his wife said that she would never go back to Providence because Providence fans were spitting at her and throwing beer. She said something to the effect that if you were a Uconn fan and an balloon knot, "go up the road to Providence."

About 5 1/2 minutes in.

She's great!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This thread is strongly giving this vibe:
Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Reaction Score
Totally respect that he's a fiery guy, no problems there. However he's a representative of the University I love, so he shouldn't be getting drawn into anything with (probably drunk and definitely dim-witted) opposing fans.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I made a joke on Twitter that that guy was every poster on Friar Talk. Sure enough, one of their posters confirmed it was him, claimed some UConn staff guy was patrolling the stands and getting people tossed for "clean" yapping, so he was going after the staff guy. Claims he wasn't drinking, all visible evidence to the contrary.
If that were me, not only would I claim to have had far too much to drink (even if I hadn't), I would claim that someone must have put something illicit in my drink.

He believes that UConn staff members have the ability to get people tossed from an opponent's building?

Reaction Score
I was right next to him after the Butler game in Indy and some one was heckling him pretty baldly, he turned to the dude and said “that’s why we wear rings balloon knot” and pointed to his ring finger…… you can move the boy away from the mountains but you never can get the mountains out of the boy …… he is a Jersey boy that won’t take any love it

Reaction Score
Hurley is surrounded by security at these games. I don’t think he has much to worry about.

Some guy was running his mouth and Hurley told him there would be repercussions if he were to try anything. Why is everyone acting so upset over that? Hurley is not the type of guy who’s going to back down from a confrontation - it’s who he is. Nothing wrong with it.

Reaction Score
About the 1:45 mark Rip makes an appearance. What a brawl! Testosterone at it's best.
Oh good catch. Rip is in there...and looks like he's about to unleash some woopass on someone.

Reaction Score
The guy doesn’t even know Hurley’s wife. It’s a drunk yelling stupid stuff. You must be 12 years old.
5th grade level insults? I am disappointed in you, you can do better.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Can you? Your judgement is wanting. But you have a lot of company. Hurley was letting a drunk get under his skin, just what the guy wanted.

What is amazing is how people think conduct in a sports setting is justified that would be plain ridiculous elsewhere (applies to the drunk spectator as well as Hurley). So you are walking down the street with your family and a clearly drunk guy across street starts shouting insults at you. Tell me what you would do.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
About 2 cents over-priced.

Calling some anonymous guy a p***y and saying he wouldn't defend his wife is about the most keyboard-macho jabrone (thanks Andrea) thing you could post.

Try harder Felicia.

Reaction Score
Can you? Your judgement is wanting. But you have a lot of company. Hurley was letting a drunk get under his skin, just what the guy wanted.

What is amazing is how people think conduct in a sports setting is justified that would be plain ridiculous elsewhere (applies to the drunk spectator as well as Hurley). So you are walking down the street with your family and a clearly drunk guy across street starts shouting insults at you. Tell me what you would do.
Hurley wasn’t walking down the street here though, let’s rear back to what actually happened and not play your hypothetical game.

This was nothing fans giving it to Hurley and Hurley giving it back, good natured trash talk that lasted maybe 20 seconds.

Reaction Score
Context is needed here regarding the long history of bad blood between the Hurleys and PC. No way DH ever does this at any other school. This was personal, and no doubt he recognized a lot of those geriatric hecklers who‘ve been giving him the same for over a decade. Its one thing to be professional and not react to losing hecklers, but when you personally cross and harass a Jersey City family repeatedly in a vile manner, the gloves are coming off.

Reaction Score
In many cases I would agree that DH should have ignored it but this case is a bit different. Their fan's (especially when it comes to us) are absolute a**wipes (a saw a social media clip yesterday of a 60+ year old yelling at every UConn fan around after the game) and have crossed the line more than once with his family.
To me, I agree that security needs to step up at these games to protect coaches from drunk fans running up to them, shouting obscenities and antagonizing family members.
Perhaps the assistant coaches should be more active ensuring that their coach doesn’t get tangled up at end of the game as well.

As fas as Andrea’s comments, when you start calling some of your own fans names like this and asking them to go root for the other team, maybe it’s time to stop reading the message boards and take a chill pIll. There’s always a fringe element in any program, she gave them way more attention then they deserve IMO.

Just don’t want to see Dan go down this road and risk getting a suspension or something like this now that opposing fans know they can get a reaction from him.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
These episodes are another item on the ever-evolving list of DH's 'growing edges.' I predict that he'll grow from this and the Creighton encounter, and that his responses will evolve and show greater maturity.

Yes, the haters will have some ammo from this, but with an off-season to reflect, coach will realize the greater dividends of a 8-2 Big East road record.

The range of opinions in this thread can also be helpful, assuming that somebody will brief him. It's also an opportunity for us to internally de-escalate rather than proxy fight each other about which type of response ought to be declared the clear winner. I'm reading well-offered points of view that drastically differ from other well-offerred ones. That always strikes me as a time to pause. The emotions are strong, but is the fight worth it?

DH has greatly improved his graciousness, self-awareness, and sense of humor in post-game interviews, and this has led to many media appearances where he presents much better than most of us would have imagined not too long ago.

Also, the in-game Technical was the most effective I've ever seen from him. He even seemed pretty receptive when Kimani leaned in to say something like, "Hey, not yet. I need some breathing room to think about how I want to coach the rest of the game before it gets dumped on me. I think you made your point."

Malice at the Palace. There's a good Netflix documentary about it.
Thanks for the heads up. Metta Artest's story before and beyond that episode has a lot of layers. I'm interested in seeing how it's told.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
She's great!
I loved that when it aired live in Houston, and was so excited to share it with my sister. Her response was the same as yours.

So much about it makes me burst out laughing. AND I can imagine an uptight professional media handler getting so freaked out by every little, "Whoa, you can't do that" thing that everything gets cut out.

There has probably never been, nor will there ever be another pre-Final 4 first appearance interview like it: a free-wheeling, mid-40s Jersey Girl accepting a pre-ordered drink and talking very loosely with a trio of sports guys. In a most atypical way, she embodies the 3 top characteristics of the super-important "Supportive Spouse," as determined by survey research in Thomas Stanley's book "The Millionaire Mind" -

1) Down to earth.
2) Traditional values.
3) My emotional backbone.

And just like with the disapproving Tweet at the top of this thread, there are portions that could be and have been tightly edited for Providence fans or other detractors to exploit in order to paint a negative picture of her.

Yes, "She's great!"

Reaction Score
I loved that when it aired live in Houston, and was so excited to share it with my sister. Her response was the same as yours.

So much about it makes me burst out laughing. AND I can imagine an uptight professional media handler getting so freaked out by every little, "Whoa, you can't do that" thing that everything gets cut out.

There has probably never been, nor will there ever be another pre-Final 4 first appearance interview like it: a free-wheeling, mid-40s Jersey Girl accepting a pre-ordered drink and talking very loosely with a trio of sports guys. In a most atypical way, she embodies the 3 top characteristics of the super-important "Supportive Spouse," as determined by survey research in Thomas Stanley's book "The Millionaire Mind" -

1) Down to earth.
2) Traditional values.
3) My emotional backbone.

And just like with the disapproving Tweet at the top of this thread, there are portions that could be and have been tightly edited for Providence fans or other detractors to exploit in order to paint a negative picture of her.

Yes, "She's great!"

It's quite refreshing to see people willing to be their authentic selves, knowing that some will embrace them and some will find fault with them as opposed to those who are afraid of offending anybody, anywhere, and any time or any place.

Reaction Score
About 2 cents over-priced.

Calling some anonymous guy a p***y and saying he wouldn't defend his wife is about the most keyboard-macho jabrone (thanks Andrea) thing you could post.

Try harder Felicia.
You "Karens" are a complete joke.

Reaction Score
Sure he shouldn't engage with fans like that, but Danny is a tough Jersey boy, and knows no other way.

Just saying fighters gonna fight.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Hurley wasn’t walking down the street here though, let’s rear back to what actually happened and not play your hypothetical game.

This was nothing fans giving it to Hurley and Hurley giving it back, good natured trash talk that lasted maybe 20 seconds.
Did you actually watch the clip? Told the guy to ”come here”. Paint it any way you want. And who gives a crap if the fans there have a history of taunting. Harassing his wife in person is far different. They know they can get under his skin. just what they want. .

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You "Karens" are a complete joke.
You could be 1,000% right and still not see the log in your eye.

And Karen was invented by people pissed off about not being allowed to punch women or call whoever they wanted "apussies" (it's a New Haven thing) whenever they wanted to shut them up.

Your sense of irony is deliciously unintentional. Mine is heavy-handed and self-canceling. They both stink. Yay for us, eh?
Did you actually watch the clip? Told the guy to ”come here”. Paint it any way you want. And who gives a crap if the fans there have a history of taunting. Harassing his wife in person is far different. They know they can get under his skin. just what they want. .
Then again, you know you can stop any time and choose not to. If it were easy, we'd all be doing it.

Feel free to substitute any other two comments or posters that reveal us as combatants with our teammates. Too bad the power of love isn't as appealing as the love of power. Metta Jimi @Chin Diesel

Reaction Score

beta-jesse-lee-peterson.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog