I knew this shot was going in | The Boneyard

I knew this shot was going in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Until it didn't. Horn at the horn with the challenge by Lamb.

I never felt so awful as when Arizona got the rebound and passed it out to a wide open shooter. I watch it now and it just looks like a shot but I remember that when it happened the ball was in the air for infinity.

Reaction Score
I still get a weird feeling in my stomach when I watch that possession, that shot scared the hell out of me.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Yeah, I thought for sure we were going home right then. I couldn't believe when it didn't go in.

Reaction Score
When the shot went up I think I was clinically dead, heart stopped beating, zero brain activity, and not one breath being taken.

I still watch it and no clue how it did not go in.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I yelled, "It's long, it's long." I thought it was longer than it was, and was surprised when it hit the rim.

Reaction Score
Kemba said that when he saw in arcing towards the hoop, he thought it was good!

Reaction Score
We had forced Derrick Williams into a major brick too (Chuckie O providing the man to man D in a big spot). Then if Kemba was 6-2, he would have had the defensive rebound, but it got tipped away from him.

Would have been a tough loss to take.

Reaction Score
Those are the breaks you need to bring home a banner. After that I just keep thinking we deserved the good karma and whew!

Reaction Score
Being a UConn fan and having seen so many of those shots go in had conditioned me to accept that the 3 pointer was going in...and like you said...then it didn't. Again, like you, I still have a hard time believing it doesn't drop when I see it in the air.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If it was the year before it would have gone in. Seemed that every clutch shot taken against UConn in 2010 went in. In 2011 things went the opposite way. 2012 clutch shots taken against UConn followed a more random pattern.

Reaction Score
Until it didn't. Horn at the horn with the challenge by Lamb.

I never felt so awful as when Arizona got the rebound and passed it out to a wide open shooter. I watch it now and it just looks like a shot but I remember that when it happened the ball was in the air for infinity.

Had it gone in, I'm sure you would have found some way to blame Obama.

Reaction Score
Both this game and the UK game boiled down to the opponent missing a go-ahead 3 in the final seconds.

As said, those are the breaks you need to bring home a banner. Survive and advance.

Reaction Score
I remembered 2 things:

1. What a G-d damned beast Williams was. That guy abused us. Never figured out why his coach didn't go to him every play down the stretch.

2. The Lamb steal - his arms look like 10 feet long when he reaches out and grabs that. Awesome memories.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I remembered 2 things:

1. What a G-d damned beast Williams was. That guy abused us. Never figured out why his coach didn't go to him every play down the stretch.

Made no sense to me, either. Oriakhi did a decent job slowing him down at times, but for the most part he kicked our ass.

Reaction Score
Made no sense to me, either. Oriakhi did a decent job slowing him down at times, but for the most part he kicked our ass.

Okwandu deserves a big chunk of the credit here. He had a limited role in our run to the title, but we don't win without his 24 minutes against Zona. He forced - or influenced at least - Williams to go out to the perimeter to be a face the basket guy, where he was less effective. Williams was 0-4 from the floor in the last five minutes. All three-pointers.

Lest anyone think I'm on an anti-Alex slant, I've usually thought of Lamb as the guy who stepped up vs SDSU, Chuck vs Arizona, and Alex vs Butler.

Reaction Score
I can't watch the replay; every time I do I'm convinced the shot is going to go in. I feel the same way about the end of Super Bowl XLVI.

Reaction Score
Shot looked perfect. I was ready to scream out in anger/anguish and instead got to yell out in joy. That's one of those shots that let you know UConn was destined for immortality that year. If we were wearing orange jerseys that had the letters S-y-r-a-c-u-s-e on them, that shot goes in. Guaranteed.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Okwandu deserves a big chunk of the credit here. He had a limited role in our run to the title, but we don't win without his 24 minutes against Zona. He forced - or influenced at least - Williams to go out to the perimeter to be a face the basket guy, where he was less effective. Williams was 0-4 from the floor in the last five minutes. All three-pointers.

He must have. I didn't follow his off-ball defense either time I watched the game too closely; all I know is, when Williams caught the ball inside the 3-point line, Alex was the only one with a legitimate chance to stop him. Either way, both did their part.

Reaction Score
He must have. I didn't follow his off-ball defense either time I watched the game too closely; all I know is, when Williams caught the ball inside the 3-point line, Alex was the only one with a legitimate chance to stop him. Either way, both did their part.

Okwandu got dunked on by DW at one point, so it wasn't all a Chuck highlight film. I'm sure Alex had his moments too - but down the stretch I just remember Okwandu getting the task and Williams seeming to think he could take this big no-name outside and school him, and it never happened. Perhaps Chuck was a bit lucky that Williams missed on one or two, but the last one was a total brick over a well-timed contest.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Oh yeah. Chuck was athletic and could guard in space; I remember him shutting down Marshon Brooks earlier in the year.

Reaction Score
Shot looked perfect. I was ready to scream out in anger/anguish and instead got to yell out in joy. That's one of those shots that let you know UConn was destined for immortality that year. If we were wearing orange jerseys that had the letters S-y-r-a-c-u-s-e on them, that shot goes in. Guaranteed.
Not really. If our jerseys said Syracuse we would have lost by 8-10 points, but we would have won for sure if it wasn't for those damn refs.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Had it gone in, I'm sure you would have found some way to blame Obama.
Bush........................ There I fixed it. Isn't that the rally cry in this state?

Reaction Score
I actually felt worse in the UK game, but yeah both had my heart in my toes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom