I hate ESPN telecasts | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I hate ESPN telecasts

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
ESPN in it's entirety really sucks. They started as an Entertainment and Sports Network. Then they started to grab as many sport contracts as they could possibly get and then started gravitating back to Entertainment, albeit sports related. Look at all their talk shows. Everything went downhill from there. But for me, the downturn started once they changed the Bottom Line from twice an hour to continuously showing it. Kinda hard to watch a sporting event with that scrolling across the screen. What does ESPN want us to watch, the televised event or soccer scores from 12 hours ago in Europe?

Reaction Score
i finished watching the replay. third quarter continued like the first half, not too much talking, long periods of dead air, and calling the game action as it happens. This was the time when Duke cut into the lead, and uconn built it back up. They could have tried to put a little more tension into Duke cutting the lead to 13, but they were still calling the game at this point. After the media time out they started highlighting Brown setting the duke steal record, and then had a general talk about defense for a few minutes. During this defensive talk, there was some game action which went uncalled, though UConn built their lead back up and no one scored for the final 2 minutes of the quarter.

The fourth also wasn't too bad, generally calling game action until after the media time out. the score wasn't closer than 16 until it was clear the game was over. The fashion talk was for a duke senior talking about her major and career goals, the kind of thing the NCAA loves to highlight. The ESPN crew did ham it up a little too much, and should have kept the focus on the player, but with less than 5 minutes in a ~20point game, with duke not pressing or running it was pretty clear what the outcome was at that point. With less than 2 minutes left and a 17 point game the announcers started looking ahead to UConn's next game.

So for the majority of the game the announcers talked about the basketball game they were watching, and most of the rest was talking about basketball principles or the players off the court. i think the hyperbole in the criticism of the broadcast is representative of the hyperbole in the criticism of UConn on the bone-yard after a 15 point win. I agree some of the UConn broadcast earlier in the year were bad, but this was fine. There is room for improvement but i'd probably give it a C-

Reaction Score
They had Eric Frede calling a game together, and it was terrific! Wish they could get rid of Adam and just have Kara and Rebecca do it. Three is definitely a crowd. And the “fashion” segment . I wish Erin Mathias all the best, but I hope she picks a different career. Bottle caps?!?!

Reaction Score
i finished watching the replay. third quarter continued like the first half, not too much talking, long periods of dead air, and calling the game action as it happens. This was the time when Duke cut into the lead, and uconn built it back up. They could have tried to put a little more tension into Duke cutting the lead to 13, but they were still calling the game at this point. After the media time out they started highlighting Brown setting the duke steal record, and then had a general talk about defense for a few minutes. During this defensive talk, there was some game action which went uncalled, though UConn built their lead back up and no one scored for the final 2 minutes of the quarter.

The fourth also wasn't too bad, generally calling game action until after the media time out. the score wasn't closer than 16 until it was clear the game was over. The fashion talk was for a duke senior talking about her major and career goals, the kind of thing the NCAA loves to highlight. The ESPN crew did ham it up a little too much, and should have kept the focus on the player, but with less than 5 minutes in a ~20point game, with duke not pressing or running it was pretty clear what the outcome was at that point. With less than 2 minutes left and a 17 point game the announcers started looking ahead to UConn's next game.

So for the majority of the game the announcers talked about the basketball game they were watching, and most of the rest was talking about basketball principles or the players off the court. i think the hyperbole in the criticism of the broadcast is representative of the hyperbole in the criticism of UConn on the bone-yard after a 15 point win. I agree some of the UConn broadcast earlier in the year were bad, but this was fine. There is room for improvement but i'd probably give it a C-
So it’s ok to get paid for c- that’s a below average grade

Reaction Score
they suck. The announcers are talking about themselves after someone - Lou? - was called for a foul. These announcers should never do another game together
Absolutely correct. Once a game is " out of hand," they just blather on about meaningless crap and giggle. Where are the professionals?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
They had Eric Frede calling a game together, and it was terrific! Wish they could get rid of Adam and just have Kara and Rebecca do it. Three is definitely a crowd. And the “fashion” segment . I wish Erin Mathias all the best, but I hope she picks a different career. Bottle caps?!?!
Ms Mathias 's taste was certainly not aligned with mine. However, my wife insists that I have no fashion sense and I may not be an apt comparison. If she founders in the fashion design business, poster TRB123 can point her to a job waiting tables. This is apparently a common fallback move for Duke grads as per Boneyard lore.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
There’s a radio that costs around $60 that you can adjust up to (I think) 42 second delay to synch it with TV sportscasts. Easy to Google for it.
I am curious about the technology of that , and I wonder if perhaps I paid a little more could I get one that broadcast the outcome I desired. ;)

Reaction Score
I am curious about the technology of that , and I wonder if perhaps I paid a little more could I get one that broadcast the outcome I desired. ;)
here's what I was thinking about:
SR-404 SportSync Digitally tuned AM/FM Radio with 60 Seconds of Audio Delay

But this is probably what you need:
Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 3.04.43 PM.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member