I hate ESPN telecasts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I hate ESPN telecasts

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I'll say it again for anyone in the WTIC broadcast area, if you can synch the audio feed with the TV video, the result is wonderful. Bob and Debbie call the game. You still get the distracting videos that go on during game play but if it's happening on the court, Bob and Debbie are telling you about it. I hope this is not a lost option with the radio switch next year but for most games this year my synch has been very good with my Comcast feed.

Reaction Score
I'll say it again for anyone in the WTIC broadcast area, if you can synch the audio feed with the TV video, the result is wonderful. Bob and Debbie call the game. You still get the distracting videos that go on during game play but if it's happening on the court, Bob and Debbie are telling you about it. I hope this is not a lost option with the radio switch next year but for most games this year my synch has been very good with my Comcast feed.
I thought Morgan Tuck was on the radio? What happened to that?

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Oh, I do wish I could get the streaming video synched with Bob and Debbie, but for me they're more than a minute ahead. What I often do is have my laptop set to ESPN's boxscore which lets me know who fouls are called on, a vital stat that seems like an incidental detail to ESPN's game announcers.

Reaction Score
I try to avoid what I hate.

I wasn’t watching, because I was at the game. But if I had been home I would have done what I do on virtually all sports telecasts: turn off the sound. What are you expecting to learn from them that you don’t already know or can’t see with your eyes? I agree that it’s incredibly annoying when they impose other visuals on the screen. We can’t control for what we see, but we can control for what we hear.
We seem to go through this every year...last year it was the inanities of Doris Burke and Company. Why can't some of us get it through our heads that Boneyarders are not the intended audience for these broadcasts and like the wise (beyond his years) Bags27...turn off the chatter!

Reaction Score
There’s a radio that costs around $60 that you can adjust up to (I think) 42 second delay to synch it with TV sportscasts. Easy to Google for it.

Reaction Score
Total reversion to form for these three back to their early broadcasts of the season. Why would ESPN put Rebecca back on this team when Amin and Lawson had finally proven themselves as a good two-person team in Storrs?
Good point. I was thinking the same thing. Kara and Amin by themselves were at least listenable.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Swaggie Aggie like a drill in my head. Head bangHead bangHead bangHead bangHead bangHead bang

Ok. she is very talented but come on, she can lose a game just as easy as she can win one.

And did so, in my opinion.

Reaction Score
I'm sure you Boomers caught this. But for the record (ha), "When I'm 64" was on Sgt. Pepper, not Yellow Submarine.

Oh yes, sure did.:eek: Plus it came out on the "Revolver" album, which is the one that preceded Sgt Peppers.

And yes, there is no chemistry with that team as constructed. They have never heard of the "less is more" approach. Head bang

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
they suck. The announcers are talking about themselves after someone - Lou? - was called for a foul. These announcers should never do another game together
Don't they get paid by the word? That's one reason I prefer seeing games in person - no commentary.

Reaction Score
I agree about the segment on Vic Schaefer's son, and generally I am happy to see the human interest segments. I just hate them running it is a window half the size of the screen, and totally ignoring the game. They can show those pieces during time outs, or in place of the studio pieces where they rehash what we have seen.

Of course you are right. But timeouts and halftime are now nothing but advertisements. I remember when timeouts were when the color announcer would give insights into the action. Now they have to do it during the game. Same with human interest features. Fine, but do it at the half instead of fill the 20 minutes with ads and studio hyping of upcoming events.

ESPN has been making their announcers the focus of sporting events and I can only guess that came from expensive focus group studies. General audiences must be less likely to turn to something different with the chatter some of us hate. To me it all goes back to the Monday Night Football trio of Gifford, Cosell & Meredith. They were the show. But the reason why was that they were so entertaining was that they were spontaneous. I remember one boring and lopsided game being played in the rain when the camera scanned the crowd and stopped on a guy rooting for the losing team in a front row who had his feet up on the railing and a disgusted look on his face. He noticed the camera and gave the finger to the national audience. There was a moment of silence and then I think it was Meredith who said "well that about sums up the game".
Since that time the networks have tried to reproduce that chemistry/entertainment value but have failed mostly because they script everything. No one like Dandy Don would ever get a job doing a national sports event in this day and age.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
My favorite ESPN moment today was Dave Pasch saying Mabrey had "nearly half" of ND's points with her 25.

ND had 68 points at the time.

Reaction Score
These announcers should never do another game together

Agree or disagree with your point, I absolutely love and am each day grateful for ESPN because I can see any and all games online and watch them as many times as I need to so I can fully grasp the genius (or not) of UCONN women BB games.

The Title of your Thread "I hate ESPN telecasts" is offensive to the gratefulness I feel for ESPN.

I can put up with anything anyone announces but I cannot put up with NO ESPN.

ESPN, I will always love you and respect you in the morning. Absolutely!:cool::cool::cool:

Everyone on this board who appreciates our women and those in the WBB NCAA league should be "on-boneyard-board" with this.:rolleyes::cool:

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Agree or disagree with your point, I absolutely love and am each day grateful for ESPN because I can see any and all games online and watch them as many times as I need to so I can fully grasp the genius (or not) of UCONN women BB games.

The Title of your Thread "I hate ESPN telecasts" is offensive to the gratefulness I feel for ESPN.

I can put up with anything anyone announces but I cannot put up with NO ESPN.

ESPN, I will always love you and respect you in the morning. Absolutely!:cool::cool::cool:

Everyone on this board who appreciates our women and those in the WBB NCAA league should be "on-boneyard-board" with this.:rolleyes::cool:
If there was no ESPN, there would be SNY or TBS or some other network.

Reaction Score
While it is somewhat understandable in a blow out game, but it is obvious that some announcers just get carried away with themselves period. Just the other day I was watching a close sweet 16 game when the announcers started talking about something during a time out and then just continued with that subject for quite some time even as exciting action was taking play on the court. The subject had little to do with any of the teams actually playing. Very irritating. Are these people working at a paid job or just bantering spectators like the rest of us? I suppose their ability to actually do their job matters less than their past reputations as players. I remember a time when announcers were actually announcers and not just positions available for ex players to fall into.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
i was at the game but just watched a replay of the first half, and i don't think the criticism is warranted for that half. the announcers were quiet for long stretches, with Adam calling who made shots. Rebecca and Kara were giving some background on players for both teams, and talking about some of the strategies each team is using on offense and defense. There were a couple of quick jokes, but the announcers overall were not intrusive nor off topic.

I would not be surprised to find in the second half, when espn feels the game is out of reach that changes, but i don't feel its fair to paint the entire effort as a negative

Reaction Score
i was at the game but just watched a replay of the first half, and i don't think the criticism is warranted for that half. the announcers were quiet for long stretches, with Adam calling who made shots. Rebecca and Kara were giving some background on players for both teams, and talking about some of the strategies each team is using on offense and defense. There were a couple of quick jokes, but the announcers overall were not intrusive nor off topic.

I would not be surprised to find in the second half, when espn feels the game is out of reach that changes, but i don't feel its fair to paint the entire effort as a negative
So it’s ok to do half a job

Reaction Score
Why during the game do they do a split screen? Once for an interview with Geno and the other watching Geno on the sidelines. I want to the game . Show interview at halftime.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
My favorite ESPN moment today was Dave Pasch saying Mabrey had "nearly half" of ND's points with her 25.

ND had 68 points at the time.
Well, he didn't define "nearly"...:p He may have a huge +- factor.

Reaction Score
they suck. The announcers are talking about themselves after someone - Lou? - was called for a foul. These announcers should never do another game together

Regretfully, painfully have to agree with you.

Reaction Score
If there was no ESPN, there would be SNY or TBS or some other network.

We are in California. ESPN is our only choice. For those in the SNY neighborhood, you still only get the shows on SNY and not the away games. There is no service like ESPN.

Besides, I am from Bristol, and ESPN put Bristol on the world map!:rolleyes::cool:

Reaction Score
We are in California. ESPN is our only choice. For those in the SNY neighborhood, you still only get the shows on SNY and not the away games. There is no service like ESPN.

Besides, I am from Bristol, and ESPN put Bristol on the world map!:rolleyes::cool:
SNY shows the away games too. They show 18 games a year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom