I Don't Want To Be Diacritical, But... | The Boneyard

I Don't Want To Be Diacritical, But...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Our newest Husky is Azura. But more correctly, her name is Azurá. The difference is called an "acute accent." In this instance, the diacritical marking is appropriate because the purpose of it is to help us correctly frame the pronunciation of her name. And because mispronouncing or misspelling someone's name (especially when done with sarcasm or lazy disregard) is generally considered disrespectful, I want to get it right.

I think the pronunciation "AH-zhoo-ray" is correct. Does anyone have a better handle on it - for sure?

And, as I couldn't get my Ipad to think "diacritically," I just copied and pasted the young Husky's name into the first sentence above. If you care to use the same method, let me make it easy for you to find, highlight, and copy...

Azurá

Glad to help...

Reaction Score
in Spanish, the accent signals which syllable to emphasize.
I assumed it would apply here as well, so it I figured it was pronounced like
eh-zur-UH. I think that's how I've heard it.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
2 birds with one stone
police_force_edition_hyundai_accent_by_monkeyfan250-d6qd5h4.png

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I have heard all the commentators say "AZ-ur-AY". The acute accent with which Azurá writes her name is merely a stylization, and has little or nothing to do with the role of the diacritical mark in Spanish or French (or, as far as I can tell, any other language for that matter). Maybe one day we can get the scoop from Azurá herself on the provenance of this name and its spelling.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Our newest Husky is Azura. But more correctly, her name is Azurá. The difference is called an "acute accent." In this instance, the diacritical marking is appropriate because the purpose of it is to help us correctly frame the pronunciation of her name. And because mispronouncing or misspelling someone's name (especially when done with sarcasm or lazy disregard) is generally considered disrespectful, I want to get it right.

I think the pronunciation "AH-zhoo-ray" is correct. Does anyone have a better handle on it - for sure?

And, as I couldn't get my Ipad to think "diacritically," I just copied and pasted the young Husky's name into the first sentence above. If you care to use the same method, let me make it easy for you to find, highlight, and copy...

Azurá

Glad to help...

If you want to produce the diacriticals with an iPad (or iPhone), just press and hold the key of the relevant letter (in this case, the "a") and you'll see the "á" as one of numerous options that you can slide over to select.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
If you want to produce the diacriticals with an iPad (or iPhone), just press and hold the key of the relevant letter (in this case, the "a") and you'll see the "á" as one of numerous options that you can slide over to select.
wonder if it matters which "keyboard" you're using

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Azurá

Glad to help...
I make it easy.

Stevens

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So is Jewell Loyd with 1, 2, 3, or 4 l s?
I always remembered, it and extra one where there isn't usually one, and one less where there is usually more.

Jewell Loyd instead of Jewel Lloyd.

Reaction Score
\

Thank you for this---I like having Ms Stevens in a Uconn Uniform so much I want us all to pronounce her name as she wants it said. Is this how she says it?? If not sure please find out--I want this talented lady happy with us..

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
\

Thank you for this---I like having Ms Stevens in a Uconn Uniform so much I want us all to pronounce her name as she wants it said. Is this how she says it?? If not sure please find out--I want this talented lady happy with us..

Yes, we want to get it right. We're going to be referencing her many time over the next few months. She's got a name that is very easily mispronounced.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score

Thanks, Plebe! I'd guess we'll be using this feature in the future...

Reaction Score
Yes, we want to get it right. We're going to be referencing her many time over the next few months. She's got a name that is very easily mispronounced.
The original poster is "correct" in the use of a diacritical mark--I was questioning is this how Ms Stevens actually says her name. As I previously stated: I want this very very talented lady happy with us at Uconn. We'll be pronouncing her name many times in the next 3 plus years. I may be wrong (often am) but I look to this to be a Franchise continuer (if there is such a word). Frank S. sang it : I have high hopes, high in the sky -apple pie hopes.

Reaction Score
I have no idea how she pronounces her name, but that mark has nothing to do with French except that it resembles an acute accent. The only problem is that to get that "ay' sound in French, you need to put it over an e. In French, there are no accents over As. So if she were trying to spell her name so it came out Az-zhoor-AY in French, it'd have to be Azure, with the acute accent over the e. As others have pointed out, she may have added the mark to make people hit the last syllable to avoid folks calling her a-ZOO-ra. In fact, I'd almost bet on that being the reason.

Reaction Score
I have no idea how she pronounces her name, but that mark has nothing to do with French except that it resembles an acute accent. The only problem is that to get that "ay' sound in French, you need to put it over an e. In French, there are no accents over As. So if she were trying to spell her name so it came out Az-zhoor-AY in French, it'd have to be Azure, with the acute accent over the e. As others have pointed out, she may have added the mark to make people hit the last syllable to avoid folks calling her a-ZOO-ra. In fact, I'd almost bet on that being the reason.
Reason number 3 to ask this young lady how to pronounce her name!! Speculation is funny but not always accurate..

Reaction Score
I always remembered, it and extra one where there isn't usually one, and one less where there is usually more.

Jewell Loyd instead of Jewel Lloyd.
The Jewellll of the nillle wasn't Jewelll LLoyd. (in Spanish it would be Yoyd--better to drop the first L)

Reaction Score
So how did Breanna Stewart become "Stewie". I have heard her say it happened when she came to UConn. Was it teammates? Geno? The Boneyard?
I suspect Geno has a big input as we got "Polly" when he felt there were too many Brias and Breannas :D

Reaction Score
Jewel of the Nile!! Question did this Jewel (the guy in the middle) actually produce any wealth?? Devito, a little tough NY guy, was better than a diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom