I don't think opposing coaches read the boneyard. | The Boneyard

I don't think opposing coaches read the boneyard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Early in the season, many posters said that if Jefferson didn't make a decent percentage of her three point shots, teams would just back off and play 5 on 4 defense leaving her open.

Well, she is shooting 23.5% on 3's. And I don't think I've seen many time where teams have employed that tactic.

Hartley in shooting 26.7% on 3's.

Maybe they will wise up and play 5 on 3 and back off both of them.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yeah but Bria is making over 56% of her twos and Moriah is at 67% so you can't ignore either of them. And they are constantly in motion and setting screens so if you aren't tight on them, the screened for player will be wide open. And unfortunately - neither Moriah or Bria are taking contested threes so to some degree it is happening.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Yeah but Bria is making over 56% of her twos and Moriah is at 67% so you can't ignore either of them. And they are constantly in motion and setting screens so if you aren't tight on them, the screened for player will be wide open. And unfortunately - neither Moriah or Bria are taking contested threes so to some degree it is happening.
I don't see how them not taking contested threes mean that teams are laying off them.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't see how them not taking contested threes mean that teams are laying off them.
Well - when Moriah or Bria typically launch a three, there is no player within ten feet of them, so if you are saying they aren't laying off them, I shudder to think what that might look like!!!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I can't remember on time where they took an open three and I said to myself, wow, they left them open on purpose.

Most oft he time, it's because of good ball movement.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I can't remember on time where they took an open three and I said to myself, wow, they left them open on purpose.

Absolutely, they are not leaving them open and it is all about ball movement. Laying off MoJet just gives her more space to go by you or increases the likeliness you will need to foul her testing that 80%+ FT avg. The last thing you want to deal with is MoJet coming at you with a full head of Mach 2.

Last edited:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
MoJeff's 3-pt shooting isn't really much of an issue since she only takes about 2 a game, and guards do have to occasionally jack one up to keep the defenses honest. Bria's perimeter shooting is more of an issue since she's upped the jacks to 4.5 a game after averaging exactly 4 a game last year at 29.7%. At this point I think you gotta say that's not her strong suit, and I'm kind of hoping she doesn't suddenly go 4-6 in a game because it might steer her in the wrong direction. However, if she suddenly starts burying them in practice, give it a try in a game and see if suddenly you've found the touch. All things being equal, she needs to make a big leap to 37% on 3-pt attempts to equal the team average of 56.0% on 2-pt attempts, but 3s are also used to extend the defense so they can be cut some slack.

UTenn has a situation with their two starting guards where one is a good 3-pt shooter (Massengale at 40%) and one is not (Simmons naturally at 30%). But it is Simmons who is jacking more 3s, though as the shooting guard I guess that's to be expected. The two Vol guards shoot more than 10 threes a game while the Uconn pair average a little under 7 a game, which at least is a bit comforting. And though the teams average about the same on offense, UConn gives up 14 less points, and though UTenn shoots the 3s a little better, UConn's margin over opponent's 3s is higher.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Well, she is shooting 23.5% on 3's. And I don't think I've seen many time where teams have employed that tactic.
Hartley in shooting 26.7% on 3's.

Remember reversion to the mean.....

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Laying off MoJet just gives her more space to go by you or increases the likeliness you will need to foul her testing that 80%+ FT avg. The last thing you want to deal with is MoJet coming at you with a full head of Mach 2.

..........?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Agree Doggy and if you lay off Bria, she'll dribble in and shoot her pull-up which is much more deadly
(and is a classic jumpshot as well). :)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
.....?
When you lay off someone like MoJet you just give them more space to accelerate and more room for them to move around you. MoJet is not someone who will be cut off by someone without adjusting and getting. How many times have we seen her at speed split defenders. Play off her with body checking her you are just inviting her to be at speed, something you don't want to deal with.

Last edited:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Icebear said:
When you lay off someone like MoJet you just give them more space to accelerate and more room for them to move around you. MoJet is not someone who will be cut off by someone without adjusting and getting. How many times have we seen her at speed split defenders. Play off her with body checking her you are just inviting her to be at speed, something you don't want to deal with.

So, play her tight then?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
So, play her tight then?
No, surround her with 5 players with locked knees and hands clasped. Or maybe bring in Wile E. Coyote to try and deal with her. Pick your poison.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
So, play her tight then?
No, not tight but you must stay within about five to six feet about a full stride to stride and a half to react and deny her a head of steam by gaining a position to force her to take a short stride and turn. Laying off at 8' + is going to get you burned and get you chasing not defending. If you have to catch up to a reversal pass to MoJet by still coming forward to meet her she will use you momentum against you and she is attacking the basket then you are toast because she can shift her momentum easier than you. Advantage to speed packed lean and mean.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
No, surround her with 5 players with locked knees and hands clasped. Or maybe bring in Wile E. Coyote to try and deal with her. Pick your poison.
Wile E. Coyote's track record isn't stellar. Has anyone ever explained why he hasn't starved to death?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Wile E. Coyote's track record isn't stellar. Has anyone ever explained why he hasn't starved to death?
I'm thinking because he is a cartoon character.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
It's hard to set any track records when you're competing against speedsters like MoJeff. He might be able to take her in an ultramarathon, where canids do okay. As to why he hasn't starved to death, there's always a lot of UConn roadkill to feast on, that's my guess.

Reaction Score
sorry to disagree but laying off a dribbler 5-8 ft does not make it easier for them to go by you. playing too tight makes it easier for them to go by. Rule of thumb for 100 years is arms length.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
sorry to disagree but laying off a dribbler 5-8 ft does not make it easier for them to go by you. playing too tight makes it easier for them to go by. Rule of thumb for 100 years is arms length.
Phil, I said you play 5-8, not 8' plus. I do not consider 5' to 8' to be playing off the shooter. Reread what I said. Playing at arm's length is about 26" and way too close for the situation we're talking about. I really prefer having a defender at the 5-6' range, cheating to 8' but you cannot layoff to 8'+ for the reasons I noted. Also, we are talking players with exceptional speed, MoJet, not the average good athlete. I, intentionally, did not mention Bria who was mentioned by another poster.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Phil, I said you play 5-8, not 8' plus. I do not consider 5' to 8' to be playing off the shooter. Reread what I said. Playing at arm's length is about 26" and way too close for the situation we're talking about. I really prefer having a defender at the 5-6' range, cheating to 8' but you cannot layoff to 8'+ for the reasons I noted. Also, we are talking players with exceptional speed not the average athlete. I, intentionally, did not mention Bria who was mentioned by another poster.
I promise never to respond to any of your posts particularly if it relates to good basketball techniques.
Wow

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I promise never to respond to any of your posts particularly if it relates to good basketball techniques.
Wow
Wasn't disagreeing with you, just wanted be clear and that you understood we agreed on the 5-8' range and that the problems I was addressing began when really laying off 8' plus or minus a yard. You can't give MoJet that much room to get up a head of steam and expect to contain her off the dribble.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22