I don't get it ..... | The Boneyard

I don't get it .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why is the future of CFB based on eyeballs of old white men?

Which conference is the best conference in CFB, bar none? And which major markets are any of the SEC schools operating from? If eyeballs are the big add, why are they not going after NY, TX, and Cali schools? Why not add another FL school? And the gap between the SEC and ANY other onference is light years - when it comes to production, perception and demand.

And why are conferences who are supposed power conferences not making power moves? Adding UMd and UNJ to a watered down conference seems odd to me. The BIG is a football cul-de-sac; the move of talent - the lifeline of any program - is not growing in the rust belt. When is the last time the BIG had a serious shot at the NC? If the BIG wanted to be a BIG conference, would it not have gone after Bevo or ND or something other than UNJ or UMd? If you were Swofford why did you limit your next move to UL or UConn and not make a play for say WV? It ain't the academics anymore; not after admitting Kentucky C.C. Do you really think adding the Cards made FSU say, phew, we're back. No, they fully recognize like Oliver Luck did last year that they are in a room of strangers; one might argue they are the real NBE. As soon as they or Clemson see what it costs to leave, they are gone.

Cable TV is not a growth industry for anyone. I get it today folks like to sit around their big screen tv and watch sports, but the tv today is what the radio was in the 50s, a dying breed. Ad revenues are down and I can't imagine this idea that because we have a team in your state you must carry our network and charge folks 50 cents to pay will fly much longer. There is not a single network that Wall Street is clamoring to own. We are about to enter an age where the tv is replaced completely by a tablet or other small device that lets the user see what they want and pay what they feel is right. We are well on our way from a media pushed to us and towards one where we pull what we want. The days of take it or leave it cable TV have to be nearing an end. NO? And what happens when the rosy financial projections don't pan out - and they won't or NBC, ABC, and Comcast would be Apple and Google, in terms of investments.

Trust me, I wish UConn were in a better position than it is. But I am completely confused by the BIG's so-called power move and the reaction of the real NBE. I am not a media expert, but I simply can't believe that selling watered down product through a dying venue is a panacea. Then again, maybe it is just me.

Reaction Score
Why is the future of CFB based on eyeballs of old white men?

Which conference is the best conference in CFB, bar none? And which major markets are any of the SEC schools operating from? If eyeballs are the big add, why are they not going after NY, TX, and Cali schools? Why not add another FL school? And the gap between the SEC and ANY other onference is light years - when it comes to production, perception and demand.

And why are conferences who are supposed power conferences not making power moves? Adding UMd and UNJ to a watered down conference seems odd to me. The BIG is a football cul-de-sac; the move of talent - the lifeline of any program - is not growing in the rust belt. When is the last time the BIG had a serious shot at the NC? If the BIG wanted to be a BIG conference, would it not have gone after Bevo or ND or something other than UNJ or UMd? If you were Swofford why did you limit your next move to UL or UConn and not make a play for say WV? It ain't the academics anymore; not after admitting Kentucky C.C. Do you really think adding the Cards made FSU say, phew, we're back. No, they fully recognize like Oliver Luck did last year that they are in a room of strangers; one might argue they are the real NBE. As soon as they or Clemson see what it costs to leave, they are gone.

Cable TV is not a growth industry for anyone. I get it today folks like to sit around their big screen tv and watch sports, but the tv today is what the radio was in the 50s, a dying breed. Ad revenues are down and I can't imagine this idea that because we have a team in your state you must carry our network and charge folks 50 cents to pay will fly much longer. There is not a single network that Wall Street is clamoring to own. We are about to enter an age where the tv is replaced completely by a tablet or other small device that lets the user see what they want and pay what they feel is right. We are well on our way from a media pushed to us and towards one where we pull what we want. The days of take it or leave it cable TV have to be nearing an end. NO? And what happens when the rosy financial projections don't pan out - and they won't or NBC, ABC, and Comcast would be Apple and Google, in terms of investments.

Trust me, I wish UConn were in a better position than it is. But I am completely confused by the BIG's so-called power move and the reaction of the real NBE. I am not a media expert, but I simply can't believe that selling watered down product through a dying venue is a panacea. Then again, maybe it is just me.

I don't care where you think new eyeballs are coming from, ain't no region -- not Cali, not Tx, not Fla, not the southeast -- growing fast enough to deliver access to 50 million new sets of eyes in the next four decades. That's what the northease Super Region can deliver right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc
Top Bottom