"I defy anybody to say well we know exactly what you're going to do on first down" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"I defy anybody to say well we know exactly what you're going to do on first down"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
None of us on this forum, to my knowledge, is paid to win football games. We're all backseat drivers. Howerver, corporations pay big bucks for marketing and focus groups to see how their product was being received.

With the advent of this here internet, and this particular forum, feedback on the UConn product is immediate and in real time. Tony Robbins aside, never sell the power of your voice short. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to gauge the mood of UConn football fans. You can belittle us, marginalize us, pretend we don't exist, but the stickiness of fans is something that no team ever wants to test.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Who still has the guts to remind the Board why they thought he was a good hire?

I thought it was an adequate (not great) hire for several reasons:

1. He has a strong connection to high school coaches in Connecticut, so in theory our recruiting in-state should have improved under his leadership. Though we have landed a couple of good-looking prospects from the Nutmeg state the past couple of years, our local recruiting has clearly not improved from Edsall's tenure. Our out-of-state recruiting has improved but only a little bit.

2. I thought he would be significantly more media-friendly and stop the Edsall tradition of treating reporters like they were house centipedes taking up space on his living room wall. He has done so, and I give him credit for fulfilling this goal.

3. I thought his years of coaching experience would make him capable of winning close games. I also thought his clock management would be exemplary, despite Syracuse fans warning us otherwise. Obviously, he has been a colossal failure in both regards despite his experience.

4. I thought he would beat the teams he should beat because of his conservative style, and likewise fail to pull off major upsets. I consider Maryland and 2010 Rutgers to be upset wins, so he has delivered on that account. Western Michigan 2011 is the only game where I thought we clearly had the better team and lost, so I suppose he wins games that this team "should" beat playing Pasqualoni-ball. Unfortunately, our team hasn't been very good despite having an adequate amount of talent, so I feel like the teams we've fielded the past two years should have been better than they turned out to be. As they have not turned out to be good, judging them solely by the wealth & material of their accomplishments in P's first 18 games here, we haven't been losing to inferior opponents. I don't think that our team is weaker than the likes of Iowa State and Vanderbilt from a talent perspective, so the fact that I can't point out these losses as "bad" losses isn't really a good thing.

5. I thought that the passing game would improve. Though the growth has been incremental, I do think it has (despite a lack of Ryan Griffin and LM in the passing game). Whitmer can throw the ball down the field, and our receivers have done an adequate (though not good) job of getting open and catching the ball. We are not as bad as we were in 2008 or 2010 at least. Unfortunately, this mediocre improvement has come at the expense of the running game, which is now one of the worst in the country by any metric.

6. Finally, I thought he would assemble a quality staff. I do like some of our coaches (Don Brown, Shane Day so far, etc) but others are killing us. I am not pleased with our special teams in either the return or the coverage game, which is on Clayton White. DeLeone's offensive line has been horrible, and Foley (through little fault of his own) has failed to get Ryan Griffin to the next level. It's a shame, as Griffin has the blocking ability and athleticism to play on Sundays. Though he has made some very good hires, including some from other 1-A coaching staffs, DeLeone prevents me from giving P anything more than a "C" here.

Step 4 and 6 get "C's," step 2 gets an A, steps 2 and 5 get "D's" and step 3 gets an F. That averages out to a C- or D+, depending on how one views the talent level here. I personally don't think this team would be that good even if Saban were here, as there are too many holes in terms of depth, the passing game, at RB (I am not high on Lyle and never was), etc but Pasqualoni has done a mediocre at best job. If he were a young, aspiring coach I would easily be willing to cut him some more slack, but as he in his 60's, and next year will be a down year for the program talent-wise, I am not willing to afford him the patience that I would give a Mike MacIntyre or a Garrick McGee.

In sum, though there are worse coaches in Division One (look at Arkansas, Rice, Boston College for examples of this) I do think Pasqualoni needs to go, even if his job performance hasn't been as bad as some drama queens on this board have made it out to be. He will need at least 8 wins and show a willingness to change and grow (stop running up the middle on first down, run a trick play, improve game management, etc) at the end of the year to gain back my support, and I doubt he'll do it. I do like him and will not root against him or the team for the sake of getting a new coach.

One final note: I have not counted graduation rates or player behavior for or against him yet as these are by and large not his recruits he's working with.

Reaction Score
Our defense is better than it was last year. Our kicking coverages and returns look better, (don't know stats). Teggart is hard to replace, but Christen is doing pretty good.

On offense? There's nothign that Coach P said that isn't accurate. We are starting a whole bunch of new players on this offense, that had limited or no game experience in the system prior to this year,and we've got very little OL depth. Center new. QB new. Fullback new. WR1 new. WR 2 new.

All that said, Deleone's play calling still gives me ulcers, and I"m not convinced that P doesn't have his head in the sand. it's not because we run the ball a lot on first down. It's because I don't see an offense that has any simple bread and butter, that they can automatically go to, get settled and confident on the field, and I am very sure we've got enough talent to develop some kind of bread and butter offense, and an offense can't function without bread and butter. I get nervous as hell for our offensive players on the field, when there's a pressure situation. If I'm nervous in teh stands, you can bet they're nervous on the field.

You absolutely need a play call, that when it comes out of the QB's mouth, the offense settles down, and goes and does their job, whether or not the play is successful? WHen you've got it, and you've got at least marginal talent, more often than not, you'll get some kind of success out of it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It all comes down to putting your players in the best position to succeed. From my view in row 5 on the 30 yardline, this offensive coaching staff has not done that. Everything else is PTI fodder.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
"I defy anybody to say well we know exactly what you're going to do on first down."

Paul Pasqualoni,

University of Connecticut Head Football Coach
to the Hartford Courant, October 10, 2011

To be fair, what he said is true. We are leaving the defense completely confused and guessing whether our first down play will be a run off the left guard, center, or right guard. We have that defense right where we want them...they can't figure out which of the gaps to contain!!!:rolleyes:

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
(except for the Chicago Cubs who draw no matter what their record is (and we ain't there).

And even the Cubs fans have finally reached their limit of what they can justify as fans. At the end of the year this year, the Cubs were playing in front of hundreds of fans in the bleachers...they were literally empty. You could get tickets for the Cubs last homestand on stubhub for $1 a piece.

Reaction Score
It's almost like PP and GDL are the equivalent of Don Quixote and Sancho Panza

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I can proudly say I fought this choice from day one......

I guess you are real proud to see the team struggling.

Reaction Score

I thought it was a good hire. Apparently I was wrong. Though in fairness to me I did offer the caveat that I was assuming he hadn't lost his fastball.

Reaction Score
It hardly took guts for you to say that, now, did it?
Hello, I have said it from day one......I just do not have the time to spend on this board you do. I respect you and your opinions. I read here a lot but do not always have time to comment. That and I love my Huskies....

Having said that, why slander someone who saw the light before yourself? You saw it as a good hire, I did not, we disagree. This is not rocket science. We are both UConn fans.

Is your lawyer status getting in the way of conversing with us mere mortal fans too much?

Foregive me I will bow out. Not here to argue with the home team.........

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If he hadn't lost his fastball he never would have left Syracuse.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Hello, I have said it from day one......I just do not have the time to spend on this board you do. I respect you and your opinions. I read here a lot but do not always have time to comment. That and I love my Huskies....

Having said that, why slander someone who saw the light before yourself? You saw it as a good hire, I did not, we disagree. This is not rocket science. We are both UConn fans.

Is your lawyer status getting in the way of conversing with us mere mortal fans too much?

If it were defamation, it would have been libel, not slander. It's libel when written or published.

Keep in mind I did not obtain lawyer status and have no idea why I can remember the difference between slander and libel, but based on the lawyers I work with, I figure I'm 90% of the way there.

Reaction Score
I'm not toting water for the guy, I'm commenting on some of the reactions I've seen on this board

When I first came here about three years ago when trying to find a place to discuss UConn football, I found a place that where people loved UCONN FOOTBALL, not necessarily the coach or the players or the AD, but the UCONN FOOTBALL PROGRAM and had knowledgeable discussions about it and would support the program NO MATTER WHAT

Then two years ago our coach who most probably thought would take the program to the promised land left in the middle of the night and personally I think this board has eroded ever since. Now people seem (keyword) ignorant and down right stupid in some of the comments and discussions that have happened particularly over the past 6 games......say that again to yourself......SIX GAMES!!!...like are you freaking kidding me

I guess people gave PP a pass last year because we were breaking in a new QB and lost some playmakers.....well guess what, we're doing the EXACT same thing this year, with a completely inexperienced Offensive Line

Look, do I want and wish we had a better record....sure of course I do, everyone wants to be 12 - 0 every year

Do I think this coaching staff has made a multitude of mistakes that they probably shouldn't have......sure of course I do, but show me a perfect season called by any coach in the NFL or college and I'll sing a different song

This is college football people.....not the NFL, we don't have grown men that have been playing for the same coach for 8 - 10 years or an offensive line / QB tandem that has had 500 starts with each other

Just because you win the national championship one year, does not mean you should even be in a bowl game the next because every year is potentially different because in all reality you only get 2 - 3 years with a player before he moves on and a younger, rookie takes his spot

All I'm saying is, this is HCPP's 18th game and has been with the program for less than 2 years, AT LEAST wait until the end of next year before you start calling for his head.....I mean if I was a recruit and saw this board I would be turned off instantly, there is a line between passionate and crazy
Stop kidding yourself, if there was a semblance of building to the future we'd be fine. Fact of the matter is our offense will be no better next year and we're losing a ton on d, with nothing to replace it. We're going to be in this situation year after year after year.

Unless the wildcat saves us (sarcasm)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
To be fair, what he said is true. We are leaving the defense completely confused and guessing whether our first down play will be a run off the left guard, center, or right guard. We have that defense right where we want them...they can't figure out which of the gaps to contain!!!:rolleyes:

Actually, they can. The first play will be McCombs between the left tackle and left guard (5) or left tackle and left side TE (7). There is no where else Deleone is going to go.

Reaction Score

WTF? I was making an obvious joke -- it doesn't take guts at the moment to say one was opposed to it from the beginning, which I why I was asking who would admit to have liked P's hiring.

And, by the way, I was not one of them.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
WTF? I was making an obvious joke -- it doesn't take guts at the moment to say one was opposed to it from the beginning, which I why I was asking who would admit to have liked P's hiring.

And, by the way, I was not one of them.

We need to work with you these jokes of yours before someone shoots you.

Reaction Score
The season is not over yet guys hang tough. We can still turn this around. Save the Coach talk for January a change now is not going to do any good for the players.

Reaction Score

I hated the hire at first. And then I deluded myself for a time. I was even encouraged by the recruiting. But boy was I wrong to not go with my initial instinct. It might have been because it seemed wrong to not be supportive. After we thrashed Rutgers, I thought that things may have been congealing.

I turned when Foley was demoted. I bit my tongue when I saw predictions of 9-3 or 8-4. I think my prediction was 5-7 with an absolute best case being 7-5.

These coaches are probably doing the best they can, but it just isn't good enough.

I hope that the relationship ends in December. I have stopped believing that Pasqualoni will lead this team to a bowl.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I hated the hire at first. And then I deluded myself for a time. I was even encouraged by the recruiting. But boy was I wrong to not go with my initial instinct.

This was my feeling exactly. When P's name was first floated, I thought "no way they pick him". When he was chosen, he became my guy. No more. His recent comments about "having fun" and "defy[ing] anyone" is basically him giving us the finger.

Reaction Score
This was my feeling exactly. When P's name was first floated, I thought "no way they pick him". When he was chosen, he became my guy. No more. His recent comments about "having fun" and "defy[ing] anyone" is basically him giving us the finger.

Exactly.

I also think his level of self awareness is pretty poor, other defensive coordinators probably look forward to playing us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psttc

Top Bottom