I cant get excited for these AAC games anymore | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I cant get excited for these AAC games anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It's not as good as the big east but some people act like it's a horrible conference. I have watched a lot of American games this year. It's not that bad. SMU, Tulsa, Cinn, Temple, Memphis, and UConn are soild teams that can compete with any team. UCF and Houston have good talent and are 2 years away from moving up to the next level. Tulane is decent. The only bad teams are USF and East Carolina but every conference has bad teams. I think in 2 to 3 years this conference will get the respect we deserve. As long as we play 4 good OOC teams every year and our conference has 6 good teams a year we will be fine.
if it wasnt mudilay(spelling) going overseas, transfers, and injuries SMU would be in the top 25... Memphis either needs a new coach or recruit better players, cinci is never going to to put up massive offensive numbers but I think next year they will be in the top 25, doesn't houston have a good recruiting class coming in? This conference is nowhere near being being like the ACC or big 10 but I think it can be better than the SEC and Big 12... saying that if we get an invite to any P5 or even the old big east we have to take it

Reaction Score
I love Uconn basketball dont get me wrong, but there has been a serious drop off of interest ever since we have moved to the AAC. I know we dont have much control to the conference which we are in right now but it makes me nervous if Uconn has to be in the AAC beyond the next few years.

Curious as to what others think...
I am sorry that winning a national championship 9 months ago does not interest.

Just go be a PC fan you will never be bored.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Let's beat a good number of these crud AAC teams before declaring this beneath us.

If you don't think they're beneath us at this point in the game, you're beyond saving.

Far more mystifying that reading about a guy who can't get excited for some of these AAC games is the moralists telling us that we're no better than the likes of UCF or Memphis or throw-a-dart-at-the-AAC.

Here's the message to the rest of the AAC - we're tolerating you because we have no other choice. It's just reality - if we weren't in a conference with them, there isn't a single program in this conference save Cincinnati that would ever get a home and home series with UConn. We might see them the early round of a tournament somewhere, they might get a few bucks for a trip to Connecticut, but they would never, ever, never have the clout to get a home and home.

They are what they are. The challenge for UConn is not to become one of them and pray for a call up. If it doesn't come, we'll be like them soon enough and then you can all trade kissy posts with the Memphis nitwit.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Wow either frustrated, arrogant or bitter fans we are. Its disrespectful to our conference foes as fans to belittle their teams.

Sure its a new day and we would prefer to be in the P5, but what message are we sending to Memphis, SMU, and all other AAC fan base?

Some may say they don't care but to our players we indirectly represent them on message boards, in public and at games.

They are our partners whether we like it our not. Unless perhaps someone here has the power to instantly change that.

I'm not (intentionally) belittling them.

I just feel that:
1 - the level of competitiveness exhibited by this league, top to bottom, is not at all what I have been conditioned (by the OBE) to expect.
2 - the rivalries are not there for me (yet)
3- the sense of "ownership" of this league isn't there for me (yet)

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
think scheduling a good OOC schedule is crucial and they have been doing that. But they need to get some games with the old BE rivals like Cuse, Gtown, Nova, St Johns, Pitt ect
look at our OOC for the next few years, it's legit..

Reaction Score
With this team I am more excited than ever because they need to win games and everyone on their schedule is capable of beating them if they don't play at a high level. (Level 5?)

It will never be like the women averaging 49.5 point victories in the league I promise. While I would love to be somewhere else this is n't as bad as many like to make it sound, not close!

Reaction Score
I cant stand the people on the board where if you bring up the slightest question of the team or conference you get attacked especially the posters that offer little to no argument other than you suck bye, questioning your fanhood.

Most posters or Uconn fans that watched the big east in its early days or throughout its evolution probably long like me for the old conference rivalries. I never meant that i was belittling the AAC teams. Its not their fault. I'm simply stating that the likes of UCF, ECU, Tulsa, ect are not as exciting as a conference with Gtwon, Cuse, Nova, Pitt, Louisville. I use to look at the schedule and be so pumped to watch a prime time game on ESPN with Uconn and whoever in the big east. Now im scrambling through the TV guide trying to find which channel is CBS sports 4 is to watch Uconn play.

Reaction Score
Frankly ...

A B1G schedule would make us feel better. But, I think that we'd never ever quite have the Big East feel again. A Four Team Semifinal in MSG with schools from Michigan included just won't vibe the same.

Reaction Score
There's no denying our OOC is gonna be good but we have to just be prepared for it early because much of it occurs before Jan. We don't have the luxury that teams in the P5 have playing ranked teams in Jan and Feb.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
If you don't think they're beneath us at this point in the game, you're beyond saving.

Far more mystifying that reading about a guy who can't get excited for some of these AAC games is the moralists telling us that we're no better than the likes of UCF or Memphis or throw-a-dart-at-the-AAC.

Here's the message to the rest of the AAC - we're tolerating you because we have no other choice. It's just reality - if we weren't in a conference with them, there isn't a single program in this conference save Cincinnati that would ever get a home and home series with UConn. We might see them the early round of a tournament somewhere, they might get a few bucks for a trip to Connecticut, but they would never, ever, never have the clout to get a home and home.

They are what they are. The challenge for UConn is not to become one of them and pray for a call up. If it doesn't come, we'll be like them soon enough and then you can all trade kissy posts with the Memphis nitwit.

ah, such arrogance...

"Here's the message to the rest of the AAC - we're tolerating you because we have no other choice."

news flash...that's the message from EVERY member school to the AAC...please don't act like your situation is unique.

if you are in a G5 conference, you want into a P5 conference...end of story.

that said, some of us want to make the best of what we've got...while others want to sit around and cry over the past.

the Big East..."Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings"

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
moreover, I'd rather be in the Metro or CUSA 1.0, but we'll make do here in the AAC.

Reaction Score
The problem is that the Central Floridas in January have the same appeal that Central Connecticut used to have in November. We've inverted our schedule, with actual big games in the early season and some yawners when things should be getting going.

Yup, that's it for me too. I'm not going to pile on this conference, but this is the first season I can remember where I've forgotten to record games and/or not watched recorded games for a couple days after they were played. I just could not get excited about watching a slogfest against USF. I know "woe is me" but that's what it is.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
that said, some of us want to make the best of what we've got...while others want to sit around and cry over the past.

the Big East..."Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings"

Stop.

This is better than what you had.

It's like a cruise ship sank off the coast of your island of misery and a better class of castaway washed onshore.

For us....

It's like our gated neighborhood burned down around us and then we woke up to find your trailer on one of the newly vacant lots.

You are killing our property value on a daily basis.

Reaction Score
ah, such arrogance...

"Here's the message to the rest of the AAC - we're tolerating you because we have no other choice."

news flash...that's the message from EVERY member school to the AAC...please don't act like your situation is unique.

if you are in a G5 conference, you want into a P5 conference...end of story.

You can't seriously think our situation isn't unique, right? I'm not even an AAC basher, because I think it's better than a lot of people make it out to be, but our basketball accomplishments are greater than the accomplishments of every other team in the conference combined. By far. duck*, our accomplishments from last year are greater than the total combined accomplishments of every other team in the conference not named Cincinnati.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Stop.

This is better than what you had.

It's like a cruise ship sank off the coast of your island of misery and a better class of castaway washed onshore.

For us....

It's like our gated neighborhood burned down around us and then we woke up to find your trailer on one of the newly vacant lots.

You are killing our property value on a daily basis.

life's tough, sunshine...

we went from the Metro that featured Memphis, Louisville, Cincy, Georgia Tech, Va Tech, South Carolina, Florida State, St Louis, Charlotte, VCU, etc.

to CUSA 2.0, playing Rice, UTEP, and Marshall.

don't expect any tears from me.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
You can't seriously think our situation isn't unique, right? I'm not even an AAC basher, because I think it's better than a lot of people make it out to be, but our basketball accomplishments are greater than the accomplishments of every other team in the conference combined. By far. duck*, our accomplishments from last year are greater than the total combined accomplishments of every other team in the conference not named Cincinnati.

I'm glad you see it's not a unique situation...

Reaction Score
Oh, you're just here to troll. Cool. Ignore list it is. You're right though, there is one other school in the conference that has accomplished more in it's entire history than we did last year.

Reaction Score

There are 351 teams in Division 1 and if you think Uconn finished anything other than 351st in conference realignment, you are completely lost. You aren't going to convince anyone here otherwise, so please stop trying.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Okay Memphis, we extended you goodwill when you came last year to chat about games and wish us luck in the tourney.

Now you only come here to lecture us, a completely separate fan base from your own, on how we should feel about where our team is relative to our sense of tradition and history as a program.

Know your place and cut the shtick.

Reaction Score
Fact: Playing teams that we have established rivalries (Cuse, Pitt, G'Town, Nova, St Johns, PC) > teams we have little history with (AAC)

Fact: We are in the AAC for the foreseeable future, hopefully we can dominate this league until we get into the ACC or B1G

Reaction Score

I'd like to beat Tulsa and SMU before telling them they suck.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
You want out of this conference - buy Football season tickets...

Yep - BB going nowhere without FB.

Get on the bandwagon now even though they were 2-10. Don't be that Whalers fan of 20 years ago

Reaction Score
Memphis was a pretty cool fan last year. Not sure what happened, maybe Kuran Iverson or girlfriend I don't know, but he certainly forgot who the fn visitor is and who the damn home team is.

Imagine UConn fans expressing pro-UConn thoughts on their own board, and some being a little whacked? Maybe divert back to yesteryear Memphis or stay home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom