I believe Fishy has been right all along | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I believe Fishy has been right all along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's really not that simple though.

I'm hopeful, but the cavalier attitude some people have here assuming we'll get an invite somewhere amazes me. Maybe it's denial.
What's simple is that we provide a huge market and a championship-caliber athletic department.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Uconn has a shot at the BIG ( better chance than with the ACC,im0) but it must get 8 of the following schools votes:

Minnesota
Nebraska
Maryland
Ohio State
Michigan
Rutgers
Penn State
Purdue
Northwestern
Michigan State
Indiana
Illinois
Iowa
Northwestern

The key will be for the Uconn Admin. to develop outreach communications and their contacts within these predominently midwestern schools to secure the neccessary 8 votes.

I agree with you. The ACC ship has sailed time and time again. I think UCONN is better suited for the B1G. UCONN has had recent (read: while we are AAC member) success scheduling football with Illinois and Indiana. Our AD is a Michigan guy. Tom Izzo loves UCONN basketball (as does any other basketball coach in the conference, I would imagine). We are in the Universitas 21 with Ohio State and Maryland. Rutgers is a wildcard: will they p1ss on the northeast to mark territory or will they realize that they need a local rival to grow? Bottomline: the opportunities to network with B1G schools are there.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Dooley said:
I agree with you. The ACC ship has sailed time and time again. I think UCONN is better suited for the B1G. UCONN has had recent (read: while we are AAC member) success scheduling football with Illinois and Indiana. Our AD is a Michigan guy. Tom Izzo loves UCONN basketball (as does any other basketball coach in the conference, I would imagine). We are in the Universitas 21 with Ohio State and Maryland. Rutgers is a wildcard: will they p1ss on the northeast to mark territory or will they realize that they need a local rival to grow? Bottomline: the opportunities to network with B1G schools are there.

The ACC has sailed only if you believe they have any integrity. The second they need to fill a slot, it'll be, "Hey, why haven't you called..."

We won't care.

Reaction Score

It would also have been beneficial if Uconn hockey program had been a bit futher along in its development as well. The Big just started up their league's new hockey league, and Uconn could have gone there as a precursor to get the BIG teams that play hockey at a high level to vote for Uconn to their league for all sports. The ACC has no hockey league. Uconn will need to move their hockey program out of Hockey East if they get the BIG invite. Not a problem, per se... but it would have been advantageous for Uconn if Uconn was in the BIG for hockey now, imo.

Reaction Score
You have no clue. UConn's conference situation has only increased my support and enthusiasm for UConn. For Pete's sake, we just won both NCAA basketball championships! And, did you see the support at MSG during the Sweet 16 and Final 8? Seemed like an energized fan base to me. And, UConn has probably the best statewide and legislative support of any university in the Northeast.

The Herbst tenure at UConn has been terrific for the academic side of the university as well. UConn continues to improve as a university and isn't that what universities are all about?

I'm optimistic about the future even though our current conference situation is not ideal.
I was at the games. I gave support. I am just concerned that it won't last. If UConn will be unable to schedule with the big boys, things will deteriorate rapidly.

Reaction Score
I've always hated the ACC and after several snubs, I really would not want to be a part of it. Seriously. The Big 10 is a better conference with a clear plan, model, identity. I believe Rutgers would understand that having a local rival is far more beneficial to both schools, unlike BC which failed miserably in the ACC and never grasped the concept of local rivalries.

Reaction Score
I've always hated the ACC and after several snubs, I really would not want to be a part of it. Seriously. The Big 10 is a better conference with a clear plan, model, identity. I believe Rutgers would understand that having a local rival is far more beneficial to both schools, unlike BC which failed miserably in the ACC and never grasped the concept of local rivalries.
I agree 100%......

...but would still scream 'yes' if Swafford was on the other line.

Reaction Score
I agree 100%.

...but would still scream 'yes' if Swafford was on the other line.
I could only stomach it knowing half of the conference would then be former Big East schools...a merger, if you will.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I have always thought that this will end up in litigation, and UConn is most likely going to be a plaintiff.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
UCONN13KC said:
Julie Hermann's Rutgers is no fan of UConn. Tim Pernetti and Warde were working on a deal for a series. There's no doubt that she squashed it.

We live in a world with no regional allies and quite a few enemies. Our only way into the P5 club is to be the difference maker for more money on the next TV deal. And the only way to do that is to win enough in football that it makes it hard for the FSU's and Michigan's to bow to the BC's and Rutger's of the world.

We are held to a different standard. We have to win. We have to support. We have to grow the football culture in every corner of the state where just about all other activities cease when UConn is playing.

We are all in this together and we are all in this alone. Winning ails all problems!

Reaction Score
I have always thought that this will end up in litigation, and UConn is most likely going to be a plaintiff.

Litigation helped UConn out so much 10 years ago. I hope UConn doesn't go down that road again and piss off more ADs.

Reaction Score
Julie Hermann's Rutgers is no fan of UConn. Tim Pernetti and Warde were working on a deal for a series. There's no doubt that she squashed it.

We live in a world with no regional allies and quite a few enemies. Our only way into the P5 club is to be the difference maker for more money on the next TV deal. And the only way to do that is to win enough in football that it makes it hard for the FSU's and Michigan's to bow to the BC's and Rutger's of the world.

We are held to a different standard. We have to win. We have to support. We have to grow the football culture in every corner of the state where just about all other activities cease when UConn is playing.

We are all in this together and we are all in this alone. Winning ails all problems!
We also live in a state in close proximity to at least a dozen pro sports with rabid fan bases. UCONN Football has much more competition for entertainment dollars than other large state universities. We desperately need the support of member universities in order to get an invite. Just saying. Julie can stuff it, I don't think she has many fans in NJ these days.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I think you are right and it scares the crap out of me. (Both agreeing with you, and knowing how well the lawsuit approach worked the last time we tried it)

Reaction Score
I was at the games. I gave support. I am just concerned that it won't last. If UConn will be unable to schedule with the big boys, things will deteriorate rapidly.
We are scheduling home-and-homes with some big boys (B1G and ACC) until 2020, at least. I wouldn't sweat it.

Reaction Score
What's interesting (and by interesting I'm suggesting Conspiracy Kitty interesting) is that Indiana's AD in his formal quote after scheduling the home and home referred to UConn as a Power school. . .

Reaction Score
Relax gents. UConn will not be left at the alter. I promise.

at the very least I hope we get the hot bridesmaid into the broom closet during the reception.

Reaction Score
More like cautious optimism. Of course it's painful and frustrating seeing our northeast rivals in P5 conferences while we are not after we've achieved more success, but I have faith in my school and, most importantly, our school's leadership. I've said this a thousand times before: I really wish we had our current leadership many more years ago. If that happened, we might be in a P5 conference today. If our school's leaders believe in UCONN, why shouldn't the fans?

I do too, but ultimately the decision does not lie with them, but university presidents who don't give a fk about UConn and think our football program hasn't accomplished anything.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The P5 combatants all survived, all got stronger financially and now they're consolidating power, access and counting the piles of cash. If anyone thinks they're concerned about throwing the velvet rope in front of UConn, BYU or Cincinnati, they're not.

Unless the Big 12 suddenly needs to get bigger - and they seem determined to stay at ten until Texas blows them up - this round of expansion has settled. There's a lack of movable parts, the networks have put away the checkbooks, etc.

So here we sit - a $65M athletic program fresh off of yet another pair of hoop championships who has been equally snakebit by bad timing, bad luck and the misfortune of having regional rivals who'd rather not have to deal with UConn on a level field. It's insane.

Reaction Score
I think you are right and it scares the crap out of me. (Both agreeing with you, and knowing how well the lawsuit approach worked the last time we tried it)
Bear in mind the last time there was a lawsuit it was NOT only UConn that had sued. Also, we had Blowmenthol who thought that winning the case regardless of the cost was necessary to send a message. We now have better administrators and we can evaluate some of the intangible costs such as PR. With this in mind, I will trust in UConn's administrators to get necessary legal advise when moving forward. I do NOT believe they will allow UConn or our state to be manipluated the same way again. ...And it was a an emotional time back then, just having switched to div I, a new stadium, the Patriots not coming to Hartford, old wounds with regards to the Whalers! It did make it into the media especially with governor Rowland who was responsible in part for them leaving, etc. It was this state of emotion that prevented cooler heads from prevailing - or rather what let us be controlled.

I am NOT someone that believes in litigation or even threats of litigation but rather evaluating litigation privately and only pursuing if the timing is necessary with benefits outweighing the consequences.

Reaction Score
Unless the Big 12 suddenly needs to get bigger - and they seem determined to stay at ten until Texas blows them up - this round of expansion has settled. There's a lack of movable parts, the networks have put away the checkbooks, etc.

Not to sound optimistic, but I don’t think we can close the book on this round of Expansion until The B1G gets its upcoming contract settled. After that (excluding the Big 12 needing to expand, which probably doesn’t help us anyway) we are in for a wait.

Though 2 possibilities remain. The ACC is finally offered their network and we are needed for high paying cable boxes and north east content or the ACC gets no network in the next couple years and having fallen behind in the race for $$$ needs to reopen it’s 15 year contract, which I believe adding schools would do.

Reaction Score
The P5 combatants all survived, all got stronger financially and now they're consolidating power, access and counting the piles of cash. If anyone thinks they're concerned about throwing the velvet rope in front of UConn, BYU or Cincinnati, they're not.

So here we sit - a $65M athletic program fresh off of yet another pair of hoop championships who has been equally snakebit by bad timing, bad luck and the misfortune of having regional rivals who'd rather not have to deal with UConn on a level field. It's insane.

The big 10 contract expires in 2016. If we're going anywhere else but the American conference, it sure seems like people in the ACC will need to have a vote, and vote differently than they did a few times in the past, or it will be the 2017 season.

What's really insane to me, is that it's crystal clear that the Big East conference folding, left a huge hole in the northeast corridor intercollegiate sports market, and that either conference that can stake a claim to replacing what the big east had - has not yet snatched up UCONN. To try to stake claim to the northeast corridor market without UCONN - ESPECIALLY with the way it's broken up now (with Cuse & BC in the ACC and Rutgers Maryland in the Big 10) - THAT'S insane.

Reaction Score
I fully understand the hate for all the ACC schools, particularly BC, but BC has been to 3 ACC Championship games, winning 3 regular season titles between football and basketball ( thats better than 70% of the current ACC schools in a similar timeframe ). So how is this a " failed miserably " record when more than half the ACC schools have not reached the ACC Title games more than BC has since BC has been in the ACC. Its ok to hate things, but it shouldn't cloud your objective assessment it seems to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom