I am very very very perplexed about PB | The Boneyard

I am very very very perplexed about PB

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Several threads created by various fulminating prophets of doom have been featured on this board about Geno's failure to compete successfully for top recruits. Each thread on that subject has enjoyed (!) a long lifespan and fanned some remarkably heated responses.
So . . . yesterday, the day after that splendid and exciting game vs. Louisville, a post appeared (and was echoed by the Courant, ESPN, and several other news outlets) declaring that Paige Bueckers had announced her commitment to UConn. That name should be more than barely recognizable to the Boneyarders, and seems to suggest that Geno is not all washed up, not yet.

And after receiving a scant four responses here, . . . nothing! No reactions, no comments.

Yes, it did appear on April 1, but serious medai sites bought in, and I'm willing to join them. How about the rest of you

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Several threads created by various fulminating prophets of doom have been featured on this board about Geno's failure to compete successfully for top recruits. Each thread on that subject has enjoyed (!) a long lifespan and fanned some remarkably heated responses.
So . . . yesterday, the day after that splendid and exciting game vs. Louisville, a post appeared (and was echoed by the Courant, ESPN, and several other news outlets) declaring that Paige Bueckers had announced her commitment to UConn. That name should be more than barely recognizable to the Boneyarders, and seems to suggest that Geno is not all washed up, not yet.

And after receiving a scant four responses here, . . . nothing! No reactions, no comments.

Yes, it did appear on April 1, but serious medai sites bought in, and I'm willing to join them. How about the rest of you

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
The rest of us are folding our thoughts into a thread about PB-come join us.

Reaction Score

If you're talking about OxiDiva's OP that only has 4 replies, there is a different thread (Wbbjan1 = OP) with 250 replies. (@OxiDiva actually scooped Wbbfan1 by 2 minutes, but ???)

Paige Bueckers Commits to UConn

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
I also think some of us,as gleeful as we are,are holding out the thought of nirvana until the letter of intent has become official,especially after the last few disappointments we all felt when what we thought were locks ended up not to be.

Reaction Score
I also think some of us,as gleeful as we are,are holding out the thought of nirvana until the letter of intent has become official,especially after the last few disappointments we all felt when what we thought were locks ended up not to be.
Did any of the previous "locks" actually post their intentions on social media (idk, thus the question).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Well, UConn did have a lot of bad news over about 12 months. I think people over-reacted, but here are some facts:

We lost a heart-breaking national semi-final game on a last-second shot in overtime for the second year in a row.

We lost Ezi Magbegor to a pro league in Australia.

Sam Brunelle, who maybe had an offer or not, chose N.D.

Charli Collier de-committed and chose Texas.

Azura Stevens suprised Geno et al. and decided to turn pro.

We lost Jordan Horston to Tennessee.

We lost Haley Jones to nearby Stanford.

We lost Aliyah Boston inexplicably to South Carolina.

That's a lot of bad news. But we still had Lou, Phee, Crystal, Megan, Christyn, Olivia, Mikayla, Molly, Kyla, and Batouly. And we still had Geno, CD, and Shea. We lost Marisa but got Jasmine back.

That team went 35-2 so far, made the Final Four for the 12th year in a row, and won the AAC regular season and tourney titles by continuing their undefeated in-conference streak.

So the on-court news was better than off-court news. People thought maybe Geno had lost his recruiting touch. Was it a temporary blip or a permanent shift? Paige's verbal is the first data point suggesting it was a temporary blip. Let's see who else Geno gets for 2019--I think there will be one or more additions--and for 2020 and 2021. The 2021 team could have a deep bench that includes future Olympians.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Would love Gusters, Fudd, DeBerry as priority. Cordosa Olivia Miles, Van Lith after that
My list is similar. I may move Miles up a little. And add someone like Daniels.

Reaction Score
Would love Gusters, Fudd, DeBerry as priority. Cordosa Olivia Miles, Van Lith after that

What about Natalja Marshall from NYC? The recruit post is just too many thousands of pages to go through? Short update?

Reaction Score
Well, UConn did have a lot of bad news over about 12 months. I think people over-reacted, but here are some facts:

We lost a heart-breaking national semi-final game on a last-second shot in overtime for the second year in a row.

That's a lot of bad news. But we still had Lou, Phee, Crystal, Megan, Christyn, Olivia, Mikayla, Molly, Kyla, and Batouly. And we still had Geno, CD, and Shea. We lost Marisa but got Jasmine back.

That team went 35-2 so far, made the Final Four for the 12th year in a row, and won the AAC regular season and tourney titles by continuing their undefeated in-conference streak.

So the on-court news was better than off-court news. People thought maybe Geno had lost his recruiting touch. Was it a temporary blip or a permanent shift? Paige's verbal is the first data point suggesting it was a temporary blip. Let's see who else Geno gets for 2019--I think there will be one or more additions--and for 2020 and 2021. The 2021 team could have a deep bench that includes future Olympians.

Any hints on who you think the one or more additions for 2019 will be?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
What about Natalja Marshall from NYC? The recruit post is just too many thousands of pages to go through? Short update?

2020's with reported UConn interest:

Aaliyah Edwards - F
Hailey Van Lith - G
Hannah Gusters - P
Nika Muhl - PG
Kamilla Cardoso - C
Angel Reese - F
Sasha Goforth - W
Natalija Marshall - F/P
Dalayah Daniels - F/P

Reaction Score

Good set of thoughts. While 1-2 poor recruiting years isn't necessarily a trend, neither should one great recruit wipe all the bad news away. Would suggest we are in a good spot with not enough info to predict trends one way or another.

Reaction Score

When I saw the thread title I wondered why you were perplexed about peanut butter..lol

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

If we get VanLith I'll have to stand next to the TV to figure out who is going out and who is coming in! ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Good set of thoughts. While 1-2 poor recruiting years isn't necessarily a trend, neither should one great recruit wipe all the bad news away. Would suggest we are in a good spot with not enough info to predict trends one way or another.
Agreed, but I think Geno has things in his pocket or up his sleeve that have not been made public yet.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Paige is the right hand; Hailey is the left hand.

How am I gonna remember that kind of technical basketball stuff! Maybe if we end up with both UConn could adopt the "towel baton" hand off that I find so endearing ...NOT!

Reaction Score
Geno's been doing this a long time. I really have my total faith in him and his staff to recruit the right kids and hope we get the right kids when we extend an offer. We've been fortunate (somewhat spoiled) because no one has a better recruiting record than Geno (ok maybe coach K or Calipari ;-))

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

I’m a bird in the hand type. Hopefully she sticks with us. DellaDonne actually made it to campus. If anyone should have known what playing at UConn would be like it would be Espinoza-Hunter who didn’t last a year. Obviously those are unusual situations. I don’t recall, didn’t Ekmark commit on the early side, too ? But I find it hard these days to get too ramped up about commits or anything to do with recruiting. PB is clearly terrific and presumably is fully ready to sign and be another Husky great.

Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith reminds of DT as she has the cockiness/confidence in her game but not the stuck-up personality!
She realizes hard-work is the key to success!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno's been doing this a long time. I really have my total faith in him and his staff to recruit the right kids and hope we get the right kids when we extend an offer. We've been fortunate (somewhat spoiled) because no one has a better recruiting record than Geno (ok maybe coach K or Calipari ;-))
Augh! Don’t put “Geno”, “Calipari”, and “recruiting “ in the same sentence. Yuck!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom