I am shocked | The Boneyard

I am shocked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
by this team's performance. Combination of veteran and young players, all with great skills, playing this late in the season this poorly. Love Kevin, but is this bad coaching? No answer....

Reaction Score
I'll say it again..........Bad coaching, no chemistry and poor decision making. Why were we shooting 3's like there were no inside options? Tonight I blame everyone except the fans!

Reaction Score
I think we need to accept the fact that this core group of players just can't get it done on a consistent basis. We are what we are and that is the same thing as last year. Don't see much of a difference. So the question is, could it be the coaching?

Reaction Score
I think we need to accept the fact that this core group of players just can't get it done on a consistent basis. We are what we are and that is the same thing as last year. Don't see much of a difference. So the question is, could it be the coaching?

My confidence in Ollie is slowly dwindling....he better get it together quick or else this season is a lost cause.

Reaction Score
They are not that good. I am not sure what people were expecting. They run an offense predicated having on a ball dominant point guard. They don't have a point guard. They are far below average behind the arc. Overall, they are not good man to man defenders; without brimah to clean up the messes, that deficiency is magnified. Ollie has tried offset some of the deficiencies by putting the ball in Hamiltons hand in a point forward role, which has been a disaster. Not a lot of answers left to find.

This is a transition year. They may make the tourney but it is no sure thing.

Reaction Score
Good lord, is Amida that important to our success? I don't' think so, but I could be wrong.

Reaction Score
You take out the 2 5th year seniors and the FGs made and scoring for the rest of the team is the most pathetic display of offense I have seen from a Uconn team in years.....God help us.

Reaction Score
Agree with the last few posts. It's the same core that were here last year that aren't getting it done and not seeing any improvement from last year to this year.

Reaction Score
Does this team remind anyone else of the 2009-10 team? no heart, no hustle, and seemingly terrible chemistry on a team that, on paper, has the talent to play with any team in the country.

Reaction Score
This team's important parts are still too young.

Purvis is who he is. He's streaky. He can't be our best player.

Hamilton is our most important guy, and he's just too young to take over yet. I thought it was silly that people were predicting he'd be a professional after this season.

And Adams will be the third member of that trio.

Gibs is all right, and Miller is a really really solid player, (and I wish we had more years of him)...but those three will be back next season, and Next season we'll look like a great team. We're a year too young.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
It 1009% keVin

Coaching malpractice

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm about to burn my wife's Olliewood shirt

:)

Reaction Score
Ive said before that this team plays like a young team because the core of this team has not played many games together. We are basically at mid season and this team should be getting it together at this point. Its very frustrating watching some of these games and to see how poorly we are playing on both sides of the ball. Its hard because the expectations were high this year, kind of like they were in 09-10, and 11-12. The worst kind of seasons are the ones where we expect so much and we have to deal with what we have been watching so far.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
This team's important parts are still too young.

Purvis is who he is. He's streaky. He can't be our best player.

Hamilton is our most important guy, and he's just too young to take over yet. I thought it was silly that people were predicting he'd be a professional after this season.

And Adams will be the third member of that trio.

Gibs is all right, and Miller is a really really solid player, (and I wish we had more years of him)...but those three will be back next season, and Next season we'll look like a great team. We're a year too young.
Good points.
I do not doubt thatCoach Ollie shares some of the blame here, but IMO many fans are taking it to the extreme.
Before the season, on paper, this team looked like they could be true contenders.
But, as you pointed out, although the players have talent had had statistics that that looked very promising, they all have flaws that unfortunately add up to a cumulative effect of team flaws that have had bad consequences.
Gibbs can be deadly from outside and has the quickness to make straight-line drives that can give him separation to score inside. But, he is not a good enough ball-handler to effectively drive through traffic and doesn't have the innate PG passing skills to make the tough passes on the move.
Purvis has shot well this season but over his career has been a streaky shooter and his cold streak today definitely hurt the team. He can be a powerful straight-line dribbler but is not a great ball-handler and although he has improved his passing this year, he is not a great passer and cannot create well for others.
Hamilton has a good handle for his height and is a good passer but before this season, he has never been expected to play the point guard role. Over the last several games, he has tried to do too much and when the defenses have adjusted, he has seemed unsure of what to do next and when his shot has not fallen, his overall confidence has been shaken. He has relatively short arms and is not an exceptional athlete, so he is not great at finishing at the rim. Defenses are now ready for the spin move and without an alley-oop target when he drives in it traffic they collapse and given his shooting struggles they give him open threes. Shonn Miller could be a good target for the passes at the rim but when he has to sit out for foul trouble, no one is left to be a finisher inside (Enoch doesn't appear to be ready yet).
Miller is vitally important to the teams effectiveness on both ends of the court. When he is not on the floor, the team must have an awful plus/minus. With problem is magnified without Brimah. Part of the reason Coach Ollie went to zone today (and the zone was effective for much of the game) was to save fouls on the big men. Shonn needs to cut down on the fouls!
Adams has talent, but he lacks confidence in his shot at present and although he has ball-handling skills, he lacks the experience to know when he will get into trouble with his dribble.
It has discussed over and over about the mental lapses on defense, particularly Hamilton and Gibbs, but others as well, which have made man-to-man problematic. This has been exacerbated by Brimah's absence/no rim protector.
Coach Ollie has clearly not made the best adjustments to mask the team's flaws. On the other hand, the flaws run pretty deep and fixing this mess is no cakewalk.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
tumblr_mahc3dKe431r8wy9io5_250.gif

Reaction Score
by this team's performance. Combination of veteran and young players, all with great skills, playing this late in the season this poorly. Love Kevin, but is this bad coaching? No answer....

Do we really have "great skills"? Who exactly?

Hamilton is a stat-sheet stuffer but at times that is a detriment b/c he is a ball-stopper offensively. He is not a great shooter and he alternates between being too selfish and forcing ill-advised shots or penetrating with no intent to score and leaving his feet to pass. Right now his low-IQ prevents any great skills from being a consistent threat. And, when DHam is bad, he is really, really bad. I really think all of those near triple-doubles against bad teams has had a negative effect on his game.
Gibbs can shoot it. But he is not a point guard, takes far too long to get the offense initiated, struggles to beat his man off the dribble or finish, and is a poor defender.
Purvis is a set-shooter with below average skills in almost all other areas. He does not finish very well in traffic, penetrates with no real "plan" more often than not, is a below average ballhandler/passer for a guard, and is an awful free throw shooter. He is the classic undersized guard who was too athletic for high school and never really enhanced his skills.
Miller is our smartest player, imo, but we do not use him nearly enough. Just having him touch the ball makes us better because he moves the ball on the perimeter rather than pump faking and jab-stepping for 5 seconds thus stopping the offense the way Purvis, Gibbs, and DHam do.

I could go on. I think the point is that I don't think this is a team with great skill players. We are immensely flawed offensively due to poor ballhandling/passing, low bball IQ, and unfortunately, a coach who does not seem able or willing to make any adjustments. KO has obviously not a good year coaching. I am baffled by his complete lack of adjustment; in-game or out. This is his first all KO coached team and we are not getting better and instead regressing at a hideous rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom