I already can't stand ECU and they've been in our midst for less than 24 hours | The Boneyard

I already can't stand ECU and they've been in our midst for less than 24 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
To be fair, your original greeting may have been what set them off. Just sayin'...

It absolutely was. But they aren't our equal and no matter if we share a conference or not, I will not treat them like one.

I was just unaware that ECU was God's gift to college football.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
ECU fans are rabid. They went after the Channel 8 guy after he inserted them into a throw-away line about UCONN being stuck in a conference with schools that we aren't all that excited about. The UCONN game will suddenly become their Super Bowl and that's not good news for us since I thought we were going to lose that game anyway.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
In football they aren't our equal, they are ahead of us. As an athletic program, we dwarf them, however.

Correct, and since we have an athletic conference, not a football conference, I am less than thrilled to be associated with them.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Suit yourself, but that's not the way to play it IMO. You sound like a Cuse fan.

I have real championships to brag about though.

Reaction Score
I agree.. try to keep them over at that AAC board. No need to have that rabble here.

Reaction Score
I agree.. try to keep them over at that AAC board. No need to have that rabble here.

Nice way to welcome them to them to the AAC. Sure fire way to get them over here.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
this has all the makings of a big time rivalry already!

Reaction Score
We are a funny bunch at times. At any point in time someone/school looks down at us, we scream bloody heck. But the minute someone we feel is not our equal tries to align with us, we scream bloody heck. I get it, we belong in the P5, but i do find it ironic that we often do the very things that drive us nuts about other programs and their fans. Just a thought.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We are a funny bunch at times. At any point in time someone/school looks down at us, we scream bloody heck. But the minute someone we feel is not our equal tries to align with us, we scream bloody heck. I get it, we belong in the P5, but i do find it ironic that we often do the very things that drive us nuts about other programs and their fans. Just a thought.

Sort of like how football recruiting rankings are rubbish but getting highly ranked basketball recruits is a huge deal?

Reaction Score
Be careful. The last thing we need is a wave of ECU fans coming over here. It would just remind you each and every time what conference we are in.

I think it would be more of an entire ocean of them rather than a wave. They are a rabid bunch which I can admire, just can't stand the few sour apples of the crowd.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

I see a theme here: UCONN fans like to scream bloody heck a lot.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I'm not an elitist. I didn't mind when the Big East picked up Louisville and Cincy. They deserved to play with the big boys. ECU, not so much...

So they draw a crowd for football. Wonderful. Still a crappy school with crappy athletics, outside of football, which still isn't great, just not bad.

If drawing people is the measuring stick of athletic success then the Cleveland Indians were the best baseball team on the planet for about a dozen years, and the Cubs are going to win the World Series this year.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I would rather be in a league with ECU over Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, Houston and Navy and if not for proximity, Temple too.

The football games with them should be pretty good.

In retrospect maybe the Big East should've invited ECU, UCF, Memphis and Temple to get to 12, years ago.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I'm not an elitist. I didn't mind when the Big East picked up Louisville and Cincy. They deserved to play with the big boys. ECU, not so much...

So they draw a crowd for football. Wonderful. Still a crappy school with crappy athletics, outside of football, which still isn't great, just not bad.

If drawing people is the measuring stick of athletic success then the Cleveland Indians were the best baseball team on the planet for about a dozen years.

You're coming off as a sourpuss man, no need to rip them. They'll probably beat us in football this year and they draw better than we do. I'd rather be playing Penn State too but that doesn't take away from their track record as a pretty dang good FBS team.

Edit: had this originally but erased it but feel like adding it back in

When BC, Miami, VT left ECU UCF Temple and Memphis should have been invited to the Big East Conference

North:

UConn
Syracuse
Rutgers
Pitt
Temple
Cincinnati

South:

UCF
USF
ECU
Memphis
West Virginia
Louisville

would have made for a pretty dang good/competitive conference with fertile recruiting grounds. But thats in the past now. This is a big step up for ECU and they'll continue to grow their athletic department as they make more money/get more exposure in the American. They have the fan base support, now they are getting the exposure and more money.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I would rather be in a league with ECU over Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, Houston and Navy and if not for proximity, Temple too.

I'd rather be with Houston and Temple over ECU but ECU over the rest, which doesn't say much.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
You're coming off as a sourpuss man, no need to rip them. They'll probably beat us in football this year and they draw better than we do. I'd rather be playing Penn State too but that doesn't take away from their track record as a pretty dang good FBS team.

Not trying to be a sourpuss, just can't believe how far we have fallen to have to play in this league.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'd rather be with Houston and Temple over ECU but ECU over the rest, which doesn't say much.

Maybe, those were close.. Temple draws like 5,000 people to home games as opposed to 50k at ECU.

Houston is probably similar in terms of good football, but horrible basketball.

Reaction Score
Sort of like how football recruiting rankings are rubbish but getting highly ranked basketball recruits is a huge deal?

I see what you tried to do there. Unfortunately you're just flat out wrong.

The pool of talent in Basketball is much smaller and elite players face one another in the summer leagues from the time they are 14 through graduation. Based on all of that it's a lot easier to identify the elite basketball players. Basketball is also a very different sport, 1 or 2 elite players on a team can win a National Championship (Melo for Cuse, Kemba for us). This could never happen in football.

In football a team full of solid players with good coaches can beat a team full of elite recuits (WVU when they were in the Big East, Boise, Utah, Louisville pre-Big East, etc.)

So I see the point you were trying to make but unfortunately its wrong.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
This is kind of funny considering this is happening on the football board. Football may be the only sport where some of these new schools are actually as competitive, if not more, than we are that this moment. If you had this over on the bball board, I'd be more on your side. However, for football, I can't follow this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom