I’d start Clingan over Jackson … | The Boneyard

I’d start Clingan over Jackson …

Reaction Score
If I was coach, I would start Clingan and have Jackson come off the bench. I like Jackson, but I think he is best when he pairs with Diarra and they full court press. So I would start DC, AS, TN, AK, JH and start game with a slow grinding offense and crash boards. Then I would bring in Jackson and Diarra, pretty early and switch to full court press as a change of pace.

I think all that energy that Jackson brings might be better as an explosion off the bench. I realize he deserves to start, but think they’re better with him off the bench. I would still play him starters minutes but try to make sure his time lines up with Diarra’s time.

Reaction Score
CE8D31FD-0BDC-4F06-8552-EE94B75DEE46.gif

Reaction Score
You know Jackson is more or less our PG, right? You want to bench our PG?
Bench is not really the right word, as I would still play him 25 minutes, but I would have him start game on the bench. As far as minutes go, I would play Clingan more, and Newton less. I think the start of the game fits Newton’s calmer slower style. I think Andre could come off bench without pouting. If you start Newton on bench, I think he would be done for the season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would also rather see him play 25 minutes on hyperdrive instead of 37 minutes and be tired at the end of the game. When he is tired you don’t see the spectacular play on defense.

Reaction Score
If I was coach, I would start Clingan and have Jackson come off the bench. I like Jackson, but I think he is best when he pairs with Diarra and they full court press. So I would start DC, AS, TN, AK, JH and start game with a slow grinding offense and crash boards. Then I would bring in Jackson and Diarra, pretty early and switch to full court press as a change of pace.

I think all that energy that Jackson brings might be better as an explosion off the bench. I realize he deserves to start, but think they’re better with him off the bench. I would still play him starters minutes but try to make sure his time lines up with Diarra’s time.
You realize Jackson and Clingan are arguable the two guys that make other players better including each other. Chief struggles to say that about Newton. Diarra only in a tempo context.

Reaction Score
the eye test and the numbers indicate that Clingan needs more minutes. Hurley is going to have to figure out how to do that while not messing with Sanogo and while being able to function on defense against good spacing on the perimeter. Not easy but he has to do it. The easiest way to do it is to blow teams out but that doesn’t happen much in conference play.

Reaction Score
Andre needs to start and play 30 minutes minimum. But he also needs to get better and quit trying to be so cute with everything, just play. He’s not quite as good as he (and others here) believes he is as a passer or ball handler, especially with the shot clock winding down. Just play and make plays then go play defense and rebound, it’s what you do best. Style points don’t count.

Reaction Score
Clingen and Sanogo play the same position. Starting them together would be like starting to quarterbacks.

Reaction Score
Clingen and Sanogo play the same position. Starting them together would be like starting to quarterbacks.

It would be nothing like starting 2 QBs. In all reality minus the back to the basket game Sanogo is a 4. It may not be the way to start the game but if the game is like it was against Xavier and 2nd half versus Marquette then it's certainly an idea. Well for some.

Reaction Score
Jackson's the soul of this team and our only true creator. You don't bench him just for an uptick in defense. Terrible way to start the game.

Reaction Score
Clingan on the floor for 25-28 minutes sounds about right. Everything he does will not be perfect but even if he doesn’t score his shot blocking and disruption of offenses is a game changer.

Reaction Score
i think with clingan's long legs you could just give him the ball at the top of the three point line and he should be able to take a couple steps (since he's so tall he can just step over people with no worry of running into them) and dunk it at the rim with no issue at all.

Reaction Score
I understand where the OP is coming from. In that we have been driven to a mindset where coming up with ANY different iteration of the starting lineup might be the change we need. Lineup shift is only a small piece of what may make this team play like we want them to though. And for the record jax is the only guy that I would not take any minutes from.

Reaction Score

Having the generally non-dynamic, non-creative Newton try to run the team without / instead of the dynamic, creative Jackson in the game is a recipe for a stagnant offense. Although I think Clingan has many talents, running the point isn't one of them.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I'm with OP, Clingan should definitely start the game, because he would treat the opening tip like an Alley Oop and dunk it over the opposing center from 1/2 court. He's so long. We would start every game 2-0 and dominate from there. Although maybe a dunk from behind the 3 stripe is a 3? If it is make it 3-0. Im unclear on the rules for that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom