I’d probably cancel the Hurley presser | Page 8 | The Boneyard

I’d probably cancel the Hurley presser

Reaction Score
I think players leaving last yr was the exception. Not the rule. When else have others transferred?

Like I said, Ollie isn't free of blame. He absolutely has a hand in why we've had 2 bad seasons. I just want to make sure people realize it's 2 seasons. Not more.

Also - I'm not saying fans are ruining the program. Come on now. What I don't like is the fair-weather fan who wont go to a conference game because it's not against old BE rivals. I don't like the fair weather fan who comes to a home game for the sole purpose of booing Ollie. It doesn't look good.

I can appreciate the argument for wanting Ollie out. I get it. The points have been made and your opinion is your opinion. I don't agree, but I see where you're coming from. The thing that I hate the most is the negativity to impose their agenda. The goal should be for UConn to be good again. Booing our head coach at a home game will not help land recruits or do any good. It just makes UConn fans look childish and spoiled. Can we at least agree on that?
I was just thinking that a sprained ankle by boatright may have kept us out of the tournament in 2015. Where the luck had started to sour and where we all wools be feeling a bit differently. Jalen missing a shot vs Cincinnati. We don’t play Kansas in the second round and maybe get to the second weekend and who knows? Funny how the dice roll.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
easy there fake tough guy. i've got 2 cell phones, you have no idea how much intestinal fortitude i have. Just because I didn't respond within your timeline doesn't mean i'm scared of the conversation.

He was arrested and suspended a week before they were to play in the NIT for using a BB gun to shoot at someone in a car. He was also arrested for weed. He had a history, went to JuCo, and ballooned in weight before ultimately landing at UConn.

Had it worked out, Ollie would have deserved credit. It didn't, Ollie owns it. Just like he owns every other recruit, and transfer in/out of the program. It's well within his control to pass when there are obvious red flags. I don't want to hear the excuse that we were desperate for a big man, that was also his doing.

So you were against giving cobb a shot ?

Reaction Score
And as I still do not feel like working and this is fun, I just skipped through the first half of the 2004 team vs. Depaul which I remembered as a "workmanlike" game; so not our best, but a game we won.

31 possessions, 39 points.

26 of those possessions were "good shots." What was amazing and bittersweet was watching us run. Not just fastbreaking but the secondary break that we dominated. We did not have to run too many "sets."

5 bad looks where a player tried to do too much or took a heat check 3. Ben and Rash 2 each and Emeka totally forcing a double team.

Not sure what this proves other than the 04 team was bada$$ and this years team is not.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
easy there fake tough guy. i've got 2 cell phones, you have no idea how much intestinal fortitude i have. Just because I didn't respond within your timeline doesn't mean i'm scared of the conversation.

He was arrested and suspended a week before they were to play in the NIT for using a BB gun to shoot at someone in a car. He was also arrested for weed. He had a history, went to JuCo, and ballooned in weight before ultimately landing at UConn.

Had it worked out, Ollie would have deserved credit. It didn't, Ollie owns it. Just like he owns every other recruit, and transfer in/out of the program. It's well within his control to pass when there are obvious red flags. I don't want to hear the excuse that we were desperate for a big man, that was also his doing.

I'm confused - didn't Calhoun recruit plenty of players who weren't altar boys? I thought we wanted Ollie to be more like Calhoun in every way.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Not sure what this proves other than the 04 team was bada$$ and this years team is not.

Anyone comparing that team to any UConn team between now and the end of time is just setting themselves up for disappointment (no disrespect).

Reaction Score
Anyone comparing that team to any UConn team between now and the end of time is just setting themselves up for disappointment (no disrespect).

Oh I know. I just wanted to see what a "good" offensive's team good shot to bad shot ratio would be. Want to see the two poles.

August_West

Reaction Score
However, as August noted, many of our best looks were in the very beginning of the game. That leads me to think two things. #1, as August stated, if we get those good looks but do not hit them, we go into iso-ball. In this game, we hit our early looks so the iso stuff were outliers.

“ always trust content from adub”

;-)

Reaction Score
So you were against giving cobb a shot ?
What I'm in favor of, and what I'm opposed to, have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the head coach of the UConn men's basketball team is accountable for who he decides to offer scholarships to, and how the program is impacted by those decisions. This isn't difficult to grasp.

I've never even met Cobb, Ollie is infinitely more qualified to determine if he warranted a scholarship, so my opinion is irrelevant. But he clearly made a mistake, and he owns it.

I'm confused - didn't Calhoun recruit plenty of players who weren't altar boys? I thought we wanted Ollie to be more like Calhoun in every way.
Aside from this silly strawman argument, I don't have a problem with him taking risks. When they work out, he gets the rewards and deserves the credit. When they don't, he owns that too.

August_West

Reaction Score
What I'm in favor of, and what I'm opposed to, have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the head coach of the UConn men's basketball team is accountable for who he decides to offer scholarships to, and how the program is impacted by those decisions. This isn't difficult to grasp.

Aside from this silly strawman argument, I don't have a problem with him taking risks. When they work out, he gets the rewards and deserves the credit. When they don't, he owns that too.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

It's ridiculous to bash Ollie for making the kind of decision Calhoun was lauded for. The overall frustration with the program is understandable, but it's being egregiously misapplied.

Reaction Score
It's ridiculous to bash Ollie for making the kind of decision Calhoun was lauded for. The overall frustration with the program is understandable, but it's being egregiously misapplied.
What did I say that was "bashing" Ollie?

And Calhoun was criticized for his recruiting mistakes too. #NateMiles

edit @fleudslipcon care to explain what I said that was bashing Ollie? @August_West ? @UConnDan97
anyone?

Last edited:

August_West

Reaction Score

And explain why Cobb wasn’t worth the risk.

If he panned out, great.

If he didn’t pan out he was a troubled juco who we took a flyer on to fill holes deep in rotation. Meaning does anyone truly bemoan his loss from the team ? Has his absence hurt us? I could make a case we are better without him easily.

So why are we going to holding taking flyer like that against KO? It’s better than leaving a schoollie open or handing it to a walk on.

Cobb wasn’t recruited to be a superstar here.

Jackson , Durham, you want to place some stuff there on KO I’m with you. Those are players that are pieces of your overall philosophy and future.

Eric Cobb was a stop gap reach for a player with a little bit of experience for a team losing brimah and facey . Didn’t work out. No harm. no foul.

Reaction Score
And as I still do not feel like working and this is fun, I just skipped through the first half of the 2004 team vs. Depaul which I remembered as a "workmanlike" game; so not our best, but a game we won.

31 possessions, 39 points.

26 of those possessions were "good shots." What was amazing and bittersweet was watching us run. Not just fastbreaking but the secondary break that we dominated. We did not have to run too many "sets."

5 bad looks where a player tried to do too much or took a heat check 3. Ben and Rash 2 each and Emeka totally forcing a double team.

Huh? I don't get it....They won that 72-55. They didn't hold depaul to 39...

Reaction Score

If he panned out, great.

If he didn’t pan out he was a troubled juco who we took a flyer on to fill holes deep in rotation. Meaning does anyone truly bemoan his loss from the team ? Has his absence hurt us? I could make a case we are better without him easily.

So why are we going to holding taking flyer like that against KO? It’s better than leaving a schoollie open or handing it to a walk on.

Jackson , Durham, you want to place some stuff there on KO I’m with you. Those are players that are pieces of your overall philosophy and future.

Eric Cobb was a stop gap reach for a player with a little bit of experience for a team losing brimah and facey . Didn’t work out. No harm. no foul.

Wrong.

Look I'm not saying it was the worst decision he's made. But it's yet another recruiting miss and yet another likely transfer in a growing list of misses and transfers. And I'd rather have an open scholarship, or give that scholly to a walk-on whose effort and attitude reflect the values that Ollie espouses, than give coaches yet another bullet to use to negatively recruit. Not to mention the type of attitude he seems to espouse can't be good for team chemistry.

So you can't say "no harm, no foul" unless you're refusing to hold Ollie accountable for his results.

And Kwintin Williams was the flyer meant to fill a hole deep in the rotation, Cobb was brought in to start.

Reaction Score
Taking a risk on a Caron Butler, Nate Miles or Doug Wrenn is a bit different than taking a risk on the #400th ranked kid that nobody else wanted out of Juco. To try and claim the coach isn't responsible for having an undermanned roster and scrambling to fill it with anyone with a pulse is insane. Ollie basically grabbed another kid based off of his dunk videos.

August_West

Reaction Score
Taking a risk on a Caron Butler, Nate Miles or Doug Wrenn is a bit different than taking a risk on the #400th ranked kid that nobody else wanted out of Juco. To try and claim the coach isn't responsible for having an undermanned roster and scrambling to fill it with anyone with a pulse is insane. Ollie basically grabbed another kid based off of his dunk videos.
Wait until I pull up the Cobb thread when he committed . This thread is going to get Lulzy

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

Texas Tech and Houston wanted him. Both programs are doing better than we are right now, TTU was in the Top 10 earlier this year and both may end up in the tournament.

More fake news from Littlejohn.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Among the many problems with our current offense is that of the three players who can score, two (Larrier, Vital) more often than not think that once the ball in in their hands they are the one who is supposed to shoot it.

Add to this the fact that the third (Adams) feels the same way at times and that none of the three is consistently an efficient scorer, the offense becomes what we've seen too many times.

KO deserves blame for assembling this roster and (at least on my eyes) for not disciplining them when they play (as he calls it) hero ball.

Reaction Score
Texas Tech and Houston wanted him. Both programs are doing better than we are right now, TTU was in the Top 10 earlier this year and both may end up in the tournament.

You using the liljohn nickname is awesome. The most effeminate Millennial on the board, more pu$$ypower to you Menstrualmaster!

Reaction Score

What did I say that was "bashing" Ollie?

And Calhoun was criticized for his recruiting mistakes too. #NateMiles

edit @fleudslipcon care to explain what I said that was bashing Ollie? @August_West ? @UConnDan97
anyone?

Speaking of fake news....have you found the quote where i bashed Ollie on the Cobb decision yet or nah?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

If he panned out, great.

It was a damned if you do and damned if you don't decision to take a flyer on Cobb even if his off court behavior was not an issue.

The loss of Durham and Enoch necessitated a scramble for replacements and there were very few options available. I watched tapes of Cobb and thought it was a bad choice to make an offer. However I also knew that the team did not have a decent player at the center position. So it came down to five additional fouls for this season versus eliminating an available scholarship for next year.

I hate seeing kids not maturing but the outcome with Cobb's suspension could turn out to be the best of both lousy worlds. The season was most likely going to be horrible with or without him. There was very little chance Cobb would have tilted the outcome otherwise, but no one could know this with absolute certainty. His suspension most likely means next years scholarship will be open which makes the choice to have him on this years team more palatable. However there is still some harm if he doesn't keep his grades up. Stay tuned.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Speaking of fake news....have you found the quote where i bashed Ollie on the Cobb decision yet or nah?
That was misconstrued. But so is your philosophy.

Reaction Score
Why don't you answer it then. Simple answer the question and we will see who is in the woodshed.

3 of you dolts now, none with the guts to answer.
Ollie assembles the roster. If a player doesn't work out he deservedly receives most of the blame.

This isn't the NBA where you're coaching with the guys you have. Putting a roster together is more than half the battle.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom