Hypothetical: pick one former UConn player... | The Boneyard

Hypothetical: pick one former UConn player...

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
...to play on the 2013-14 team.

That's the scenario. You can pick any former player to be on this team. She will be a vintage player, i.e., she'll be and play exactly as she did in her day.

Now, here's the thing: there aren't too many holes in this 2013-14 team. It's not like fans of the men's team pining for Ray Allen or Emeka or Kemba or whoever. If you want us to have Diana and they don't, well...UConn is going to win a national championship. However, UConn's the big favorite to do just that anyway. But if you just love D, by all means pick her. Or Maya- totally understandable. Alternatively, you can pick a glue gal like Kelly (I mean, everyone adores her) or Jamelle. So pick anyone!

My pick? It'd be Sue. I can't wait to see how great MoJeff is going to be, but in the interim, Sue could distribute as a seasoned vet and hit perimeter shots at basically KML's efficiency. But there's obviously no wrong answer here. Who would you love to have back on this squad?

Reaction Score
DT and Maya are the first two that come to mind... but then again... We have KML, Stewie, and Stef on this team with Bria leading the group. So Sue who also came to mind would not be the best either.

I would have to say Kelly Faris. and a close second being Svetlana.

Reaction Score
I 2nd the Kelly Faris motion. She doesn't upset the chemistry one way or the other. DT, Maya, Sue... they bring their own shine to the mix and though I got much love for their individual games, we know Kelly works.

Reaction Score
Normally I'd go with DT, but my one concern with this team is depth. Maya is the one player who could help out almost anywhere on the floor if another player got in foul trouble, or worse.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
The obvious choices are Maya, DT or Sue. However, I'll go with a role player coming off the bench and I'll go with Kalana Greene

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
My choice has to be Tina Charles.Two reasons.If Stef got hurt and Kiah was ineffective,I need a strong rebounder and scorer inside,who can play tough defense on their trees inside.The team is loaded with guards,so there should't be a problem there,and I would hate to force Breanna into Stef's position,out of need.Tina would secure no letdown defensively or offensively under the basket.She would also draw out the opposing center if she came away from the post,leaving the door open for easy baskets.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
At first I thought alex answered his own question best. We have known superlatives in all areas except assisting the post from the perimeter (disclaimer: I'm NOT claiming this to be a weakness). That would call to mind Taurasi, Ralph, and Bird as the best compliments, and why not the natural point guard with ice in her veins? Yet there is the potential that Hartley and/or Jefferson could become super at assisting the post in the half court, while Chong may be a natural at it for all we know. On the other hand, currently there is a real weakness in terms of the walk-on that inspires and celebrates her teammates. When Jim suggested Marron he was spot on, though I could understand wanting Czel instead. There's going to be so many plays for the team to celebrate this year, we need that fun and inspirational teammate leading them on, and there is some danger that may be missing this year.

Reaction Score
Since the only possible weakness I can see in UCONN this year is at point guard, I would take either DT or Sue Bird.

Reaction Score
Jen Rizzotti.

What we need more of this year is tough. For those moments when you've just gotta get it done.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The obvious answers from a purely talent basis are DT, Maya, and Sue, but to me they would each take minutes away from players that I want to see develop more this year - do you really want to see fewer minutes available for Morgan or MoJef or Bria or BB or Chung or KML or Stewart? (I include Bria here more from a 'bounce back' from her ankle problems than from a developmental view)
The answer of adding fire - Jen or Jamelle or Shea - hard to argue with but the same kind of problem.
The glue/guts/stopper player like Kelly or Kaleena - again hard to argue with.
But for me the weakest area of the team is the post - love Stef and have high hopes for Kiah (though I think she is better as a power forward than a pure post) but Stef's health and Kiah's development are question marks to me - I hope and I expect, but ... So my answer mirrors Caramel here - Tina or maybe Kara. I think Tina and Stef are both capable of playing well with another post on the court and can dream about Stef high and Tina low and the devastation that would cause (and then reversing the positions!) And the insurance against any repeat of the foot/ankle problems is just too hard to pass up. Plus, Stef has already developed so I wouldn't be as disappointed by the stunting of her 'growth' as with the younger players.
Enjoy the answer of the 'walk-on' position - but based on rumors we actually are going to get that wish fulfilled.
(Great thread!)

Reaction Score
We've been so fortunate to have the great women we've had when we had 'em.

but.....if we had one player we could clone who would solidify the team it would have to be Sue Bird.

That said, I'm looking forward to MoJeff stepping up (even more) this season (Big shoes to fill indeed).

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'll take no one and sit pat with the team we have since that is the only possible choice for the coming season. I have no desire to displace anyone from this team as a starter or to hand off their minutes to former players because next year and the year after depends on the ongoing development of the current players. You live going forward.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
My choice has to be Tina Charles.Two reasons.If Stef got hurt and Kiah was ineffective,I need a strong rebounder and scorer inside,who can play tough defense on their trees inside.The team is loaded with guards,so there should't be a problem there,and I would hate to force Breanna into Stef's position,out of need.Tina would secure no letdown defensively or offensively under the basket.She would also draw out the opposing center if she came away from the post,leaving the door open for easy baskets.

If you have Tina, Stef is sitting on the bench most of the season. Ain't fair.

In contrast to adding Tina or any of the other players mentioned, DT would be the biggest addition to any team if she in fact only sat on the bench. It's the attitude she brings. The confidence she brings. You call it leadership. You call it being a winner.

arch

Reaction Score
Jen Rizzotti.

What we need more of this year is tough. For those moments when you've just gotta get it done.

Sue B, she didn't need no stinkin' knee pads.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good question. This team only goes 9 deep. But there is a lot of depth at the 4-5 spots. Stef, Kiah, Morgan and Bree. And I'd much rather NOT see Bria at the 1 this year, which is likely where she will play whenever Moriah is not on the court. So I'm going to go with Dee who can play the 1,2 or 3 spots.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sue Bird. The straw that stirs the drink.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Just to be different, I'll mention Asjha to rotate between the 4 & 5.

Reaction Score
This team's one lack is post depth. I take ... Tamika Williams. Then if KML wants the best FG% on the team she'll really need to elevate her game!

arch

Reaction Score
How about Jamelle Elliott? Leadership and toughness and rebounding, yum.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
To me the obvious is Sue Bird. PG is the only position on this team that has a question mark attached.

Reaction Score
...to play on the 2013-14 team.

That's the scenario. You can pick any former player to be on this team. She will be a vintage player, i.e., she'll be and play exactly as she did in her day.

Now, here's the thing: there aren't too many holes in this 2013-14 team. It's not like fans of the men's team pining for Ray Allen or Emeka or Kemba or whoever. If you want us to have Diana and they don't, well...UConn is going to win a national championship. However, UConn's the big favorite to do just that anyway. But if you just love D, by all means pick her. Or Maya- totally understandable. Alternatively, you can pick a glue gal like Kelly (I mean, everyone adores her) or Jamelle. So pick anyone!

My pick? It'd be Sue. I can't wait to see how great MoJeff is going to be, but in the interim, Sue could distribute as a seasoned vet and hit perimeter shots at basically KML's efficiency. But there's obviously no wrong answer here. Who would you love to have back on this squad?
Do you know that I was racking my brain for a moment or two, trying to visualize how Maya's presence would work for this time (quite well, I'm sure) and never so much as thought of guard play. I love the thought of having Sue Bird on this team. I think it'd probably be the most significant addition to the team that could be made. She's so solid in so many ways, not flamboyant but oh, so effective. A real stabilizing force whose a great passer, floor leader and who can even be the go to person, if needed. She's proven that last point on more than one occasion with the game winning bucket against Notre Dame coming to mind. A brilliant choice, indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom