HuskyTHON 2017:

Discussion in 'Alumni stuff' started by Drew, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Drew

Drew Its a post, about nothing!

you can follow along on twitter: @HuskyTHON

For those that don't know what this is...

HuskyTHON is an 18 hour dance marathon that the University does every year to raise money for Connecticut Children's Medical Center. It is the largest student run philanthropy in the state of Connecticut. It takes place in the Field House/Rec Center and has grown bigger and bigger every year. UConn has raised enough money so far doing this through the years that they've been able to sponsor a wing of the Medical Center. You can learn more here: HuskyTHON - About Us

This year's version takes place on February 18, 2017

If people are interested, I would be willing to set up a GoFundMe for the Boneyard to make a HuskyTHON donation. If this is something you'd be interested in either comment below or send me a DM.

And remember, its always #FTK

2. Drew

Drew Its a post, about nothing!

For those without lunch plans today :)

3. storrsroars

storrsroars Exiled in Pittsburgh

With all due respect, while I know nothing about HuskieTHON, I'm familiar with the elitist power trip that is THON at Penn State. It's a cult within a cult where THON "insiders" have power to ruin other students' campus lives and where there has developed a culture that if you're not "in" THON, then you are an outsider for good regarding all things PSU.

So I cannot support anything with the name THON attached to it, especially as it sounds like a carbon copy.

4. Da_Aisijimo_Gou

Da_Aisijimo_Gou

Somehow, symbolically painting all student activities as evil in implicitly trashing a successful, 30+ year old UConn fundraiser with zero direct knowledge of it is interesting. Without being a cult-like thing, UConn students having fun raising money for sick kids just may have some merits. Good for the Connecticut Children's Medical Center kids, parents, families, staff, and UConn students!

5. storrsroars

storrsroars Exiled in Pittsburgh

Feel free to support them. I'm not in CT so wouldn't do it anyway even if I weren't dubious. I give locally where I live. I'm simply saying "THON" has a very bad connotation out here in WPa.