Huskies of Honor: I'm With Stewie | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Huskies of Honor: I'm With Stewie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I love Morgan as a player. She brings so much to the table, and has for 4 years. She is definately deserving of spot on the wall of honor. However, the criteria has been set. What if we changed it to include 1st and 2nd tean AA's ? Then what happens to those who only made 3rd or Honorable mention ? Then what about 1st team all league, on and on. It will never end.. I dont see a happy solution.

Reaction Score
Like I said earlier, if being an AA is the "sole criterion" then it was broken when Chris Daily got on there - therefore, it cannot be the sole criterion.

It is whatever Geno wants it to be.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I love Morgan as a player. She brings so much to the table, and has for 4 years. She is definately deserving of spot on the wall of honor. However, the criteria has been set. What if we changed it to include 1st and 2nd tean AA's ? Then what happens to those who only made 3rd or Honorable mention ? Then what about 1st team all league, on and on. It will never end.. I dont see a happy solution.

Happy! You want happy!! :mad: Tear it all down and give everybody participation trophies!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Like I said earlier, if being an AA is the "sole criterion" then it was broken when Chris Daily got on there - therefore, it cannot be the sole criterion. It is whatever Geno wants it to be.
Geno is also on the wall of honor, as is a banner for each NC that has been won. I suppose you could say what you did, but that makes it sound like Geno is somehow responsible for Morgan not being there. I'm not sure if that's how you meant it...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Neither CD or Geno are on their as players so 'not an AA' is a silly statement. When a non-AA player becomes the head coach or the associate head coach with 25 years of experience and a few NCs to their credit, maybe they too can get on the board.

Reaction Score
Thanks for raising a red flag on the term "gypped," Bags. Most people don't know what the word is meant to convey, and I am certain that Stewart had neither the knowledge nor the intention to offend. When "gypped" is conflated with other casually used terms such as "jewed," the problem becomes crystal clear. Stereotyping people or groups leads to dehumanizing them, and that makes it much easier to abuse them even to the point of genocide. It's nothing to do with PC; it's to do with recognizing human dignity and worth.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
As UCMiami pointed out, the criteria are there because it's quantifiable and objective.
An important quality of the AA criterion is that it takes the decision out of the coaches hands, which avoids possible resentment, and places it into the hands of a panel of some sort. If the panel is big enough or good enough, things like biases or grudges would (presumably) come out in the wash.

Reaction Score
I disagree. The requirements are there and have been there since the beginning. There are a number of uber talented Huskies, several of who went on to have terrific pro careers, who also did so much for the program, but who are not on the wall of honor.

Notably absent - Tamika Williams, Ashja Jones, Ann Strother, Barbara Turner, Tiffany Hayes, Kalana Greene, and Kelly Faris. All of those players did a "lot for the program" as well. The wall of honor has been reserved for players who make All American status. None of the aforementioned did, in spite of the fact that one of them is actually an Olympian.

If one of Morgan's goals is to be on the wall of honor, she can forego entering the pros and come back for her 5th season. It's VERY likely that not only would she be the #1 or 2 scorer on the team, but without Moriah and Stewie, would be a candidate for NPOY, not just an AA candidate.

I totally get that Stewie would advocate for Morgan - I'd be disappointed if she didn't. But I'm sure Sue and Dee would have advocated for Jones, Williams, Strother and Turner. I'm sure Tina and Maya would have spoken up for Hayes, Greene and Faris.

As UCMiami pointed out, the criteria are there because it's quantifiable and objective. If you change to make an exception for Morgan, or change the criteria all together, how do you do back and reward others who missed it the first time around?

What's all the hoopla? Wasn't she chosen for THE ALL AMERICAN?

if so she will be there. Last I heard she was chosen. Has that now change?

Reaction Score
Don't know Bags27 or CocoHusky but the way you two "get it" goes a long way toward showing the Boneyard at its best. Smart and classy. Pleasure doing business with both of you !

Reaction Score
What's all the hoopla? Wasn't she chosen for THE ALL AMERICAN?

if so she will be there. Last I heard she was chosen. Has that now change?
Morgan has been named to the AP and ESPN second teams, so far, neither of which has anything to do with her getting on the wall. WBCA will announce their 10-player AA team early Saturday afternoon, and then we'll know.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
a different criterion: winning 4 national championships....

But if Geno doesn't change this, I bet he finds another way to honor Morgan somewhere in the building.
Morgan is special BUT not that damn special... maybe he'll name a sandwich after her.

I do think its too bad that it started with outsiders votes... but at the time it looked like a honest and fair way of doing things

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Thank you also hoopsdiva and JimGunther. Although I was somewhat shocked by the misreading, in a larger sense it's a good thing that people react so strongly against what they perceive as prejudice. And thank you esp. CocoHusky for apologizing.

Maybe we can now get back to what's really important: UConn WCBB!
depends on who you are and personal life experiences... some say things (or post comments) and have no idea how its perceived by others AND don't care

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I'd say the folks who jumped on your point "went off half-cocked" but, I'd probably be accused of some other violation of un-written PC rules.
I don't know how anyone - reading your entire post - could misinterpret your meaning.

Hi Jim...how are you? Been a long time...

Reaction Score
Is Sveta on the Wall? Asjha, Tamika, Kelly Faris, Tiffany Hayes should all be there if we change the rules to let Morgan be there. Kaih was huge last year and is a good reason why we won... Should she be there? What about Ketia Swainer......

While I do love Morgan maybe we should not fall victim to the "everyone gets a trophy" mindset. I say keep the criterion as is.

Reaction Score
Is Sveta on the Wall? Asjha, Tamika, Kelly Faris, Tiffany Hayes should all be there if we change the rules to let Morgan be there. Kaih was huge last year and is a good reason why we won... Should she be there? What about Ketia Swainer.

While I do love Morgan maybe we should not fall victim to the "everyone gets a trophy" mindset. I say keep the criterion as is.
Sveta is on the wall (#25). 3-Time WBCA AA (or State Farm, Kodak, whatever it was at the time) - 1999-00-01

upload_2016-4-1_8-18-30.png

Reaction Score
Morgan has been named to the AP and ESPN second teams, so far, neither of which has anything to do with her getting on the wall. WBCA will announce their 10-player AA team early Saturday afternoon, and then we'll know.

Thanks for the information. Didn't know that at all. And all this time I thought they voted already.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Thanks for the information. Didn't know that at all. And all this time I thought they voted already.
The media guide lists AP, WBCA and USBWA all-Americans. So I believe making anyone of the 3 (1st team) would do it for Morgan (or anybody). AP is the only one who has announce yet.

Reaction Score
Why let strangers define it?

But everyone will have to wait until Saturday to see if a place in the Huskies of Honor will be reserved for her.

"Obviously, Morgan is deserving of that," Stewart said. "But either way she belongs up there. She has done so much for this program. I would like it to change and I think that's something that's going through Coach's mind. Morgan's done a lot for this program and last year she got gypped, there's no other way to look at it. But no matter what the coaches decide, she should be up there."

https://www.sny.tv/uconn/news/huskies-wait-to-see-if-honors-come-tucks-way/169793412
I certainly agree---Morgan got GYPPED---Stewie is the consummate team mate! That is pure C L A S S one of the reasons Stew won it. Yep Gypped she was.

Reaction Score
The media guide lists AP, WBCA and USBWA all-Americans. So I believe making anyone of the 3 (1st team) would do it for Morgan (or anybody). AP is the only one who has announce yet.
I believe what you say is true. Hopefully those that pick the AA's on all three orgnaization are not devoid of eye sight or intellect.

Reaction Score
The criterion to earn a place on the wall is AA selection. Various organizations establish their own criteria to identify AA's.;)
It would appear your ability to search the web to find definitions is still intact. Hasn't those words been
widely and often defined herein???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc