Huskies Back on the List for Big 12 Expansion | The Boneyard

Huskies Back on the List for Big 12 Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
More comments by Berry Tramel, who is a sports writer for The Oklahoman:

He gave a glowing review of the Huskies football program under head coach Bob Diaco, however, that’s not the only reason the Huskies have the conference’s attention.

“There’s a lot of things about Connecticut that I think appeals to the Big 12,” Tramel said. “Certainly geography is an issue, but the fact that it is a state university, a solid academic institution, a good athletic school, particularly basketball and is in an interesting market, allows Connecticut to at least sit down at the table and make a case that they belong in the discussion.”

Perhaps the biggest note that Tramel mentioned is these are not just his thoughts. He only brought up UConn after talking with some from within the conference.

“Yes,” Tramel confirmed when asked if this information is from school presidents and athletic directors. “However, nothing is for certain or is anyone even championing UConn [right now], but definitely UConn is on the list.”

Based on our conversation, despite the hefty raise Tom Herman just received, it seems Houston would not be an option as there is ‘a lot of anti-Houston sentiment in the Big 12.’

Who would be the other potential candidates then? We’ve all heard the names.

“Cincinnati, BYU, Boise State, less likely would be one of the Florida schools, Central or South,” Tramel noted.

One of the issues that many have thought prevents UConn from being a viable option for the Big 12 is geography, but it seems that a solution for sports other than football have already been discussed should the Huskies be added.

“You might be able to work out a deal for basketball that Connecticut and West Virginia plays a two-game road trip when they come out west,” he said. “When one of the western schools goes east, they play both West Virginia and Connecticut, so there’s ways you can work around it. It’s not ideal, but it’s sort of the landscape we’ve been given and you need to make the best of it.”

Any expansion would not see a change for the Big 12 by the time the 2016 season rolls around, but Tramel did say we could definitely see a 12-team Big 12 by 2017, which is the largest the conference would consider.

“I don’t see any way they go to fourteen,” he said. “They actually like the conciseness of ten, but the way politics are right now in college athletics, the ten does not work very well in terms of football.”

http://thisisuconncountry.com/2015/12/huskies-big-12/

Reaction Score
How close is Tramel to insiders at OU? Is this sort of the same thing where Dodds at Texas used to use Chip Brown as his personal mouthpiece when he wanted to leak info during the back and forth with the Pac 12 a few years ago? If that's the case, there's a good chance these comments aren't coming from Tramel, but from the OU administration. Would be a heck of a feather in our cap if the folks at OU are the ones saying we need to be considered.

Reaction Score
While the Big XII would be a great invite, the feeling has always been that we're a better fit for the B1G. Yet there are certain benchmarks that appear critical to the B1G.
1. We are not (yet) AAU.
2. We have a dismal endowment.
Susan is working hard at #1 but in the end, she realizes AAU is like a fraternity--you have to be invited in. We are trying hard to be as attractive as possible.
As for #2, the Foundation is doing better and the endowment is currently over $383M. Saturday morning before the Bowl Game I had the chance to discuss this with Josh Newton, the Foundation head and Mo Kelly of Alumni relations. When I asked how they were doing with our many successful professional alumni athletes, I was surprisingly told that they had stayed away from pursuing them for years. They now have Ray Allen and Sue Bird on the Foundation board. That seems to be a natural source for funding help. So what ideas would you advise to get us closer to the endowment level Susan says is critical--$1B--? After all, we live in a "money where your mouth is" world.
Attached is the latest report from the Foundation. I think it's very well done.
http://www.foundation.uconn.edu/wp-...2015/12/UConnFoundation_AnnualReport_FY15.pdf

Reaction Score
While the Big XII would be a great invite, the feeling has always been that we're a better fit for the B1G. Yet there are certain benchmarks that appear critical to the B1G.
1. We are not (yet) AAU.
2. We have a dismal endowment.
Susan is working hard at #1 but in the end, she realizes AAU is like a fraternity--you have to be invited in. We are trying hard to be as attractive as possible.
As for #2, the Foundation is doing better and the endowment is currently over $383M. Saturday morning before the Bowl Game I had the chance to discuss this with Josh Newton, the Foundation head and Mo Kelly of Alumni relations. When I asked how they were doing with our many successful professional alumni athletes, I was surprisingly told that they had stayed away from pursuing them for years. They now have Ray Allen and Sue Bird on the Foundation board. That seems to be a natural source for funding help. So what ideas would you advise to get us closer to the endowment level Susan says is critical--$1B--? After all, we live in a "money where your mouth is" world.
Attached is the latest report from the Foundation. I think it's very well done.
http://www.foundation.uconn.edu/wp-...2015/12/UConnFoundation_AnnualReport_FY15.pdf
Nos right now I don't think beggars can be choosers...unless you know something and want to pass it on. The B1G would be like finding a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow...and the ACC to me is probably the ideal fit rivalry wise. But truth be told is this...if the B-12 decides to add 2 teams because their request for deregulation of championship games is voted down...then that may be the last 2 spots that open for a LONG time...if ever. Like many others have said on here...as great a president as Susan Herbst seems to be..if spots open in the B-12 and she can't get this done then maybe it's time to look elsewhere for a person to lead UCONN.

Reaction Score
Nos right now I don't think beggars can be choosers...unless you know something and want to pass it on. The B1G would be like finding a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow...and the ACC to me is probably the ideal fit rivalry wise. But truth be told is this...if the B-12 decides to add 2 teams because their request for deregulation of championship games is voted down...then that may be the last 2 spots that open for a LONG time...if ever. Like many others have said on here...as great a president as Susan Herbst seems to be..if spots open in the B-12 and she can't get this done then maybe it's time to look elsewhere for a person to lead UCONN.

Susan's doing a great job leading UConn and it appears that Warde put his sales guy hat on and got us on the list of finalists. Now let's see if he can close.

Reaction Score
Susan's doing a great job leading UConn and it appears that Warde put his sales guy hat on and got us on the list of finalists. Now let's see if he can close.
I'm not denying she isn't...but presidents close in CR not AD's. He did his job by upgrading facilities and making some good hires...bringing stability to athletic department.

Reaction Score
If you think the best president in UConn history should be fired if she doesn't get us into the Big 12 you need a psychiatrist.
Everyone wants to fire Manuel for not getting us into the ACC...I'm just trying to bring up the fact that AD's don't get schools into Conferences..Presidents do. Maybe if @Nostical comes back he can shed some light on what's going on for us in CR.

Reaction Score
I don't think there is too much we can do on the Big 12 front in terms of direct contact. Obviously, some networking is a good idea, like making phone calls to school presidents to seek support and remind them what we can offer. I don't think Susan should be showing up to visit school presidents that don't want to talk to her.

Ultimately, the battle of public perception is very important in this process. You want the media and fans to vocalize that UConn is the best choice. In order to do that, the school needs to be using social media like mad to get the word out about all kinds of important information. The athletic budget, the market, the accomplishments, where we'd rank among the P5 academically and financially, the value of basketball, including WBB and its network programming opportunities. What about all the arenas our women will sell out around the league? The waves of information need to be relentless and widely dispersed right now. If the media backs UConn and the fans back UConn, we'll get in.

Reaction Score
Ultimately, the battle of public perception is very important in this process. You want the media and fans to vocalize that UConn is the best choice. In order to do that, the school needs to be using social media like mad to get the word out about all kinds of important information.

The Cincinnati President and the Houston President have twitter accounts and post photos of themselves with Gordon Gee and Ken Starr.

Renu Khator ‏@UHpres Dec 1
Wonderful to have Gordon Gee, president of West Virginia University, on our campus.

Renu Khator ‏@UHpres Oct 17
With Greg Fenves, President of UT-Austin!

Renu Khator ‏@UHpres Aug 31
It was an honor to be with Baylor President Judge Starr and share the UH story.

Does President Herbst have any contacts in the Big 12?

Reaction Score
The Cincinnati President and the Houston President have twitter accounts and post photos of themselves with Gordon Gee and Ken Starr.

Renu Khator ‏@UHpres Dec 1
Wonderful to have Gordon Gee, president of West Virginia University, on our campus.

Renu Khator ‏@UHpres Oct 17
With Greg Fenves, President of UT-Austin!

Renu Khator ‏@UHpres Aug 31
It was an honor to be with Baylor President Judge Starr and share the UH story.

Does President Herbst have any contacts in the Big 12?

I have a photo with President Obama and I have a Twitter account. I guess that makes me on the short list for a Supreme Court a appointment.

Reaction Score
I have a photo with President Obama and I have a Twitter account. I guess that makes me on the short list for a Supreme Court a appointment.
I'll be joining you on the bench!

Reaction Score
I think this is the point some of us are trying to make. I am not privy to Susan's daily whereabouts and do feel all networking should be done privately unless the other party enjoys public butt kissing:

UConn is about 19 in U.S. News rankings and aspires to be AAU. They had a game scheduled at an AAU member university who happens to be about 16 in the public university rankings. Could she not have found some reason to meet with the Texas president to discuss these issues and other (such as state funding in these times of budget cuts). Oh by the way we admire your baseball team and have quite a few major/minor league players for a northern university. Maybe we can schedule a game at Fenway or Yankee stadium for the LHN (or at least Dunkin Donuts Park)

Reaction Score
jostar1 said:
The Cincinnati President and the Houston President have twitter accounts and post photos of themselves with Gordon Gee and Ken Starr. Renu Khator ‏@UHpres Dec 1 Wonderful to have Gordon Gee, president of West Virginia University, on our campus. Renu Khator ‏@UHpres Oct 17 With Greg Fenves, President of UT-Austin! Renu Khator ‏@UHpres Aug 31 It was an honor to be with Baylor President Judge Starr and share the UH story. Does President Herbst have any contacts in the Big 12?

Yes they do, but that doesn't do much for them unless the court of public opinion agrees. It has become very clear that you'll need to be able to justify a school's worth to a lot of people to get the B12 to act. We have the best value proposition. Spread the word.

If Herbst tweets a pic of herself sitting on Bob Bowlsby's lap I might be optimistic but all the butt kissing in the world won't help if the media isn't supportive of the invite. The conference will want to be able to brag about their brilliance at the press conference. We provide tons of ammo for that presser if done right. Nobody else does.

Reaction Score
I don't mind that Susan isn't sucking up to B12 presidents on Twitter. It comes off as tacky, desperate, and annoying. If you want to get into a league like the B1G (ultimately) you don't run around posting pictures on Twitter like a high schooler, you get the job done behind the scenes then let the press take some photos for you.

Reaction Score
Thank you.

Kirk H. Schulz ‏@kstate_pres Nov 23
Thanks to @UConn President Susan Herbst for hosting @kstate_1stlady & I for dinner tonight in Hartford - loved hearing about UConn!

The @KStateWBB team played tough tonight against UConn - we will learn from the game and will be prepared for @Big12Conference games!

Kirk H. Schulz Retweeted
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/439435206064222208/_F9lR8Rb_bigger.jpegNoel Schulz ‏@kstate_1stlady Nov 24
So @kstate_pres met #UCONNWBB Coach Geno Auriemma. #KStateWBB is excited to host UCONN at Bramlage in Fall 2016
CUl1BeDUkAAvfxa.jpg

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Thank you.

Thanks to @UConn President Susan Herbst for hosting @kstate_1stlady & I for dinner tonight in Hartford - loved hearing about UConn!

The @KStateWBB team played tough tonight against UConn - we will learn from the game and will be prepared for @Big12Conference games!

Kirk H. Schulz Retweeted
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/439435206064222208/_F9lR8Rb_bigger. Noel Schulz ‏@kstate_1stlady Nov 24
So @kstate_pres met #UCONNWBB Coach Geno Auriemma. #KStateWBB is excited to host UCONN at Bramlage in Fall 2016
CUl1BeDUkAAvfxa.jpg

Geez, you're fast. By the time I got to this tweet and picture, I learned that KSU's President tweets a lot about coffee, Star Wars and Virginia Tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom