Hurley wins a close one | The Boneyard

Hurley wins a close one

Reaction Score
Finally gets the close one everyone's been begging for

FT shooting is still terrible and besides injuries, will be our Achilles heel.

We got jobbed by the refs at home. How often does that happen in the Big East? Dave needs to call Val and sort this garbage out. Official representatives of the conference are hurting the conference and the sanctity of the game.

Not having a backup 5 is going to hurt. Thought Stewart would get more run. Someone will have to step up to have the year we want to have.

Overall not a great showing but a win is a win is a win. Let's start playing more A games so we have more to cheer about

Reaction Score
It was the phantom calls at key moments of the game - like on Karaban or the last 2 on Samson Johnson - say what?????????? There were no fouls there - those hurt.

And how it every st johns player driving to the hoop got a whistle but we could not buy one with contact as we were going to the rim. Like T Newton, don’t know what he has to do to draw a foul.

But I do agree when we get outside the crooked Big East ref and into properly officiated games, we do tend to shine.

Reaction Score
Cam and others need to be more careful with the ball. Too many lazy passes and not securing the ball. That 15 second stretch where UConn turned it over twice could have cost the game.
Yes but also no. We routinely, in Big East play, cannot pressure other teams at the level we are being pressured. We get called for the same things other teams get away with. Hurley tried to play the way St Johns played against us during his first two years and everyone ended up in foul trouble because of it.

Reaction Score
When refs allow our guards to get mugged on the perimeter and assaulted at the rim it takes away our talent and skill advantage. Making games a tough guy “strong man” match. It evens the playing field
Yea I'll agree with that, would have liked to see Newton get a few more calls especially. Just glad we didn't get screwed with foul trouble, or at least SJU got screwed just as much. The 3rd on Soriano was a bad call

Reaction Score
Merry Christmas everyone. I gotta go. Since I lost my wife last year I am the Lone Ranger of this household so forget basketball and I need make sure I have gifts for each grandchild by tomorrow morning or I will be declared a negligent grandfather. .

Reaction Score
Tired of ref talk. Bad calls were both ways. Only egregious one I saw was the 4th on Karaban
What was more egregious was what they didn't call. They flung their bodies at us at will on rebounds and loose balls and only got whistled like 20% of the time. It was the Seattle Seahawks Legion of Boom strategy of "well, they can't call all of them, might as well foul every time."

Reaction Score
Well I think we benefitted by the no traveling call on Johnson's 4 steps from the 3 point line for a dunk. I'd have to see it again but that surely had to be traveling.
Lol my stepdad was saying the same thing but he was ragging me all night (Cuse fan) so I didn't take him seriously

Reaction Score
Refs were horrible but they were bad for both teams. This conspiracy theory crap is really getting old. They missed a gazillion calls for both teams and called touch fouls when it looked like obvious play on. Gotta accept that bad officiating is just part of the game.

Reaction Score
Refs were horrible but they were bad for both teams. This conspiracy theory crap is really getting old. They missed a gazillion calls for both teams and called touch fouls when it looked like obvious play on. Gotta accept that bad officiating is just part of the game.
Hurley literally yelled at the ref, “Do you have a personal problem with me?”. This isn’t a conspiracy. BE refs don’t like Hurley.

Now there were bad calls both ways because they’re genuinely bad at their jobs

Reaction Score
I can’t believe we didn’t foul up 3
In my opinion there was still too much time left. Would have been about 8-10 on the clock when we could have safely given the foul without it possibly being a shooting foul. With that much time, if you’re SJU, make both and then pressure the inbounds, and if you don’t force a turnover, foul right away and get another possession, perhaps with a chance to win.

Had Diarra missed the second FT with 5.5 left and we were still up 3, that’s when you give it. But giving the other team two full possessions changes the math.

Reaction Score
Well I think we benefitted by the no traveling call on Johnson's 4 steps from the 3 point line for a dunk. I'd have to see it again but that surely had to be traveling.
No doubt about that traveling that wasn't called. Jim Jackson mentioned it on the telecast. That was a gift to UConn when we needed one.

Reaction Score
I can’t believe we didn’t foul up 3

Some coaches do, some don't. I'm not sure what the analytics say. IIRC Ollie would, but Calhoun didn't. Probably a little too much time in this case anyways.

Reaction Score
Some coaches do, some don't. I'm not sure what the analytics say. IIRC Ollie would, but Calhoun didn't. Probably a little too much time in this case anyways.
Too much time and, with a physicality disadvantage and the refs almost certain to swallow the whistle with the spotlight on them, a risk that we'd just be setting them up for a putback layup to tie instead of making a bad shooting team make a contested 3.

Reaction Score
Watch at the 6:15 mark in the highlights thread which was about 10:15 in the second half.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
OMGI was laughing on that one. Of all the calls people say the ref's missed , that would be one. That was so clear Stevie Wonder could of called that. Anyway Samson had fun with it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom