Hurley threads (merged) | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Hurley threads (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
7-24 in Hurley's tenure in games decided by 5 points or less.

I could understand chalking it up as some random noise or or lucky/unlucky if the record was something like 15-16 or 14-17 in close games but it's obviously something much more when the numbers are that out of whack. When it seemed destined for yesterday's game to come down to the wire I didn't think there was any way we were winning it because we simply don't win those games.
This is the whole thing for me.

• "Recruiting"
    • GREEN CHECK - keeps improving and any transfers seem to be a good mutual decision
  • "System"
    • GREEN CHECK - KenPom keeps moving up and to the right
  • "In-Game/Tactics"
    • RED X ... 7-24 in close games, + eye test for composure and constant foul differentials suggest this is a real problem and Hurley must figure it out.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Since nobody wants to answer the question about our "peer" group the last decade, I took a stab below. Excluded are the blue bloods: Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, UNC, and UCLA as well as Gonzaga and Nova (as were all well aware of their success):

Michigan: 1 F4, 3 E8, 6 S16, 2 Conf tourney titles
Mich State: 2 F4, 3 E8, 2 Conf tourney titles
Louisville: 1 E8, 1 S16, 1 Conf tourney title
Syracuse: 1 F4, 3 S16, 0 Conf tourney titles
Arizona: 2 E8, 4 S16, 4 Conf tourney titles
Florida: 1 F4, 2 E8, 1 Conf tourney title
Indiana: 1 S16, 0 Conf tourney titles

Reaction Score
There are a million coaches (note to Hans Springfield it is a figure is speech. No I won’t give you a list of the million coaches) who can recruit, have great lineage and are good culture guys. Most of them get fired because they don’t win enough. My question, which none of the Hurleyites are willing to answer is how long are you willing to give him to win these games? He has had 5 years. Another 5? 2? 25? And what do you have as a standard? Is a Sweet 16 enough? An Elite 8? Final 4? National Championship? Round of 32? Here is mine: Elite 8 in the next 3 years. No excuses. Big East title within 2 years and Sweet 16. No excuses. No more 1-done tournament appearances starting now. You don’t want to be compared to Calhoun, coach at URI. You coach at Duke you’ll be compared to K. You coach at UNC you’ll be compared to Roy and Dean. UCLA and you get compared with Wooden. Indiana with Knight. You want to coach at a big time program that is the price of admission.
Something something comparison is the thief of joy...but overall I agree with that. Calhoun, K, Roy, Dean, Knight, etc are legends because they set the standard for those programs. Being compared to those guys is a good thing in my opinion because they set the benchmark for what it means to be successful at that school.

A UConn success story is not a R32 or S16 appearance. It's not a BET semifinals appearance. It's hanging championship banners. We need to see the postseason positive trajectory from Hurley this season. Hurley even said himself that if the "Fab 5" coming in next year doesn't win a Title, then he'll consider it a failure. He knows the expectations at UConn. Time for him to deliver

Reaction Score
The Andre dilemma has been discussed quite thoroughly, but aside from giving him fewer minutes there really has been no constructive solution offered.

Most posters are saying Hurley should give some combination of Allyene, Diarra or Clingan more minutes at the expense of Jackson.

This approach, of course, comes with pros and cons and many variables.

But even if his minutes were reduced, Jackson will play significant minutes going forward. Rebounding, defense, energy against his lack of offense is the dilemma.

My question is, what should be done when Ajax has the ball at the three point line and his defender is sagging way off and disrupting the offense?

Seriously, what can be done? Jackson can shoot, and probably needs to take the shot at least a few times a game, but that has most often not helped the team.

Instead, what sort of play or action can free sanogo or Hawkins? What is newton’s role in that situation? is there a way for Hurley to counter that defensive strategy? What are the Xs and Os here to result in a quality shot?

We haven’t seen a consistent answer yet in the games or on this board so I’m throwing it out there.

Hurley needs to hire a Head coach ! He should be an assistant !

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Ridiculous reply but thank you for correcting my grammar from there to the correct pronoun their. Maybe you and Hurley can teach English and literature in high school. You seem to love to play with words and take things literally when you choose or figuratively when you chose. Yes let’s all get on a fan message board and say only positive things. BTW are you reading the messages that have followed. How many reference mental toughness. And it seems you are the only one who thinks it comes from other places than coaching. I have played and coached this game granted at the high school level, but I can assure you one thing, when it’s a close game and your team I’d fighting for its “life” the players are looking at one person to make the believe. I now know at least you do not have the slightest idea about how team sports work. But you write beautifully.
Thanks for wherever you are complimentary.

I rank a coach's leadership no lower than you do. It's paramount, and I'm puzzled that you might believe otherwise, but thank you for the opportunity to clarify.

I don't think you'd disagree with my assessment that you rank ineffable psychic energy lower than I do. And I have no doubt that you represent a majority opinion. I represent a commitment to squeezing the most out of the fans' contribution to a team's success.

I do not ignore, deny, or misidentify widely recognized & acknowledged shortcomings and risks. I frame them differently as growth challenges/opportunities in service of unity of purpose, in order to win each game as it comes, one at a time.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Something something comparison is the thief of joy...but overall I agree with that. Calhoun, K, Roy, Dean, Knight, etc are legends because they set the standard for those programs. Being compared to those guys is a good thing in my opinion because they set the benchmark for what it means to be successful at that school.

A UConn success story is not a R32 or S16 appearance. It's not a BET semifinals appearance. It's hanging championship banners. We need to see the postseason positive trajectory from Hurley this season. Hurley even said himself that if the "Fab 5" coming in next year doesn't win a Title, then he'll consider it a failure. He knows the expectations at UConn. Time for him to deliver
Thing is, Hurley sets these expectations that he doesn’t hit. Last year we spent a whole off-season with the length of time that we didn’t score in the tournament just to get upset in the 1st round. This off-season was about winning a Big East championship and was the talk of going into conference play.

It’s not like we’re coming up with these ourselves. These are stated team goals that are not being hit.

Reaction Score
Recruiting and culture of the program both get an A. Winning big games, not so much. Hurley has only won 2 NCAA tourney games in his entire head coaching career, both in the same season at URI. I believe we have the pieces to be successful and win a couple tournament games this season. I think that would be a great step forward for both Hurley and the program.

Reaction Score
Hurley can't shoot the ball or make passes. Not his fault players did not execute and Jackson was a human turn over machine. 26% shooting will loose every game. Players have to play better it's that simple.

Hurley can control who should be taking the shots. Pretty sure Jackson shouldn’t be shooting more than Newton and Karaban combined. He wants so bad for him to to shoot his way out of his shooting issues, but he’s had all season to do it. If it’s not a layup or a dunk, a tough shot by another player is better than a good shot by Jackson. It’s that simple. His shooting issues need to be worked on in the off season at this point. If he has one good game like he did when he stuck those huge 3s vs Xavier on the road (and we still lost), it’s not going to be consistent, because he’s a poor shooter. This isn’t Karaban or Calcaterra with great shooting mechanics in a shooting slump, this is a bad shooter being allowed to shoot - and that’s on Hurley. It’s absurd that he had more FG attempts then Karaban and Newton combined.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Recruiting and culture of the program both get an A. Winning big games, not so much. Hurley has only won 2 NCAA tourney games in his entire head coaching career, both in the same season at URI. I believe we have the pieces to be successful and win a couple tournament games this season. I think that would be a great step forward for both Hurley and the program.

The two NCAA wins were in different years at URI.

Reaction Score
Andre will never be a shooter….his form is absolutely horrific. Even his free throws are a mess.

He just needs to find ways to make the defense pay for leaving him wide open. My idea….move towards the rim. If they are 12’ off of you, take those 12’ - make them do something.

Nope - he can’t hit those either.

Reaction Score
2-21 on the road against teams that finished in the top half of the conference

Yes I realize that you’re supposed to be under .500 against decent conference teams. And the first few years were cleaning up a mess.

But this is not against the top one or two teams in the conference. It’s against the top half and so is including road games vs some mediocre teams.

Details below (highlighted games are vs top half teams).
Ugly.

Reaction Score
Thing is, Hurley sets these expectations that he doesn’t hit. Last year we spent a whole off-season with the length of time that we didn’t score in the tournament just to get upset in the 1st round. This off-season was about winning a Big East championship and was the talk of going into conference play.

It’s not like we’re coming up with these ourselves. These are stated team goals that are not being hit.
Every team has the goal of winning the league and national championship. Almost every one of them fails to reach it.

Our expectations should be independent from the team's goals.

Reaction Score
The pieces are there for the most part, just want to try to get more out of those pieces

Reaction Score
It's pretty easy actually. AJ is a chaos agent. Sometimes disrupting them. SSometimes disrupting us. It's Hurley’s job to figure out which it is early enough in the game and act accordingly.

Vs. Marquette AJ was a force for good. Vs Creighton it was the opposite. It's 100% on Hurley.
This is perfectly succinct and on point.

Reaction Score
2021-22: Ended the regular season winning 6 of 7
2020-21: Ended the regular season winning 6 of 7
2019-20: Ended the regular season winning 6 of 7

Outstanding, thank you for sharing.

18 of 21 is 867% winning percentage. That’s elite if not historical.

Reaction Score
If I were Hurley, I would try every other possible combination of players possible before putting Jackson in a game again. Go big, go small, I dont care. Hurley needs to figure out a solution. It is called coaching.

Reaction Score
He's upped the caliber of talent he's bringing in for next year, so I'm willing to give him a couple years with top talent. But perhaps we should all consider the possibility that the talent currently on the roster is simply not good enough to compete at the highest level of the BE.

On Saturday, one of the TV announcers pointed out that Hawkins' road stats are dramatically worse than his home stats.

Also, Sanogo is not a great defensive player; we don't have a true PG; AJ is an offensive liability and that enables teams to deny the ball going to Hawkins and double team Sanogo; Karaban is going to be great, but not until next year; Clingan is somewhat hampered by Sanogo's minutes and Hurley's refusal to play them together; and the rest of the roster are bit players. Maybe we're just not that talented.

OTOH, it will only take Hawkins scoring as he does at home to change this whole conversation. I believe he's the key.

Reaction Score
2021-22: Ended the regular season winning 6 of 7 ended post-season 1-2
2020-21: Ended the regular season winning 6 of 7 ended post-season 1-2
2019-20: Ended the regular season winning 6 of 7
2-4 is 33%.....that is NOT good. Especially with none of the wins in the NCAA

Reaction Score
This is perfectly succinct and on point.

Not sure if this is on Hurley, it's not like he has another Jordan Hawkins on the bench ready to step in if Ajax is struggling. I actually think that he is starting to use Allene a little more, if he plays like he did against Marquette, this could be the answer going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom