Hurley threads (merged) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley threads (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
People complain about Jackson's shooting. But we simply are not getting good shots for our best shooters late in games.

Hawk, Karaban and Newton should be getting the ball in shooting positions down the stretch and they are not. We need to run plays for them, NOT just run our offense and hope they get the ball. Other teams know who they need to stop. We need plays that are designed to defeat the defense on Hawkins or Newton. We are just way too easy to stop down the stretch.
Hard to get good shots playing 4 on 5.

Reaction Score
The offense has been better this year in terms of movement and fluidity, but still not great.

It seems we either look for Adama iso or Hawk coming off a screen. Need to incorporate more plays for AK, he’s our most consistent shooter. Get Newton going downhill more, etc. Take away Hawk or Adama and we’re in trouble. They did a great job on Hawk today and we saw exactly that.

Reaction Score
The offense has been better this year in terms of movement and fluidity, but still not great.

It seems we either look for Adama iso or Hawk coming off a screen. Need to incorporate more plays for AK, he’s our most consistent shooter. Get Newton going downhill more, etc. Take away Hawk or Adama and we’re in trouble. They did a great job on Hawk today and we saw exactly that.
Guards penetrate 1-2 dribbles and bail out if they don’t find anything obvious, at that point the shot clock is at 6 and we have to force something bad. They don’t know what else to do.

Bad coaching

Reaction Score
Guards penetrate 1-2 dribbles and bail out if they don’t find anything obvious, at that point the shot clock is at 6 and we have to force something bad. They don’t know what else to do.

Bad coaching
I think Hawk being not strong plays a part, and Newton being pretty slow/not shifty too. But Newton is way bigger than anyone they put on him, no excuse to not use your body more.

Reaction Score
I want to know what was drawn up for the last play. I'm guessing Sanogo was supposed to come to the ball and then pass to Karaban for the three. Sanogo was standing behind the Creighton player and didn't really come to the ball. I'm wondering if Clingan could have been a better option at mid-court to receive the pass.

Reaction Score
I think Hawk being not strong plays a part, and Newton being pretty slow/not shifty too. But Newton is way bigger than anyone they put on him, no excuse to not use your body more.
I mean the way they stop and pick up their dribble instead of forcing the issue to either find someone in the post or draw contact. Our guards seem afraid or incapable of doing so. Our coach was a former guard.

People love blaming refs but our guards don’t force the issue and that’s on coaching. We are (especially AJ) out of control on D but there’s more to why we have these 17-4 FT discrepancies

Reaction Score
I mean the way they stop and pick up their dribble instead of forcing the issue to either find someone in the post or draw contact. Our guards seem afraid or incapable of doing so. Our coach was a former guard.
Completely agree. Newton seems flustered by guys getting under him and Hawk still isn’t confident in his handle or his strength. This is why i’ve been stressing that we need a smaller and quicker guard to pair with Castle next season. I think the College ball learning curve is gonna hit Castle hard. He has a similar game to Newton, laid back and smooth, but definitely has more tools.

Reaction Score
His players play like him: high energy, low discipline. Don’t know what to do in tight situations.

How long have we been saying this?
He can recruit and he's not the slimeball many cbb coaches are so that's worth alot imo.

See how the season ends up before judge this year....at 14-0 he was the National Coach of the year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Completely agree. Newton seems flustered by guys getting under him and Hawk still isn’t confident in his handle or his strength. This is why i’ve been stressing that we need a smaller and quicker guard to pair with Castle next season. I think the College ball learning curve is gonna hit Castle hard. He has a similar game to Newton, laid back and smooth, but definitely has more tools.
We do lose the ball constantly in that intermediate zone

Oh that brings up another point/observation; we are still completely careless with the ball. Stupid weak passes, losing the ball off of hand-offs… stuff that elite D1 teams just shouldn’t be doing

Reaction Score
I want to know what was drawn up for the last play. I'm guessing Sanogo was supposed to come to the ball and then pass to Karaban for the three. Sanogo was standing behind the Creighton player and didn't really come to the ball. I'm wondering if Clingan could have been a better option at mid-court to receive the pass.

He was at Gampel against Xavier. He had to fight to catch the pass and then handed it to Newton.

Reaction Score
People complain about Jackson's shooting. But we simply are not getting good shots for our best shooters late in games.

Hawk, Karaban and Newton should be getting the ball in shooting positions down the stretch and they are not. We need to run plays for them, NOT just run our offense and hope they get the ball. Other teams know who they need to stop. We need plays that are designed to defeat the defense on Hawkins or Newton. We are just way too easy to stop down the stretch.
It is such a simple answer but I’ll say it.…

Learn to set a good screen! Not a moving screen but a SCREEN.

We don’t run enough of them to break our shooters free - we give up as the game goes on and then we have all our good shooters locked up - today it especially hurt it because with Newton refusing to shoot, and AJ being AJ, it was 3 on 5.

Reaction Score
Add to that, Hurley is 2-2 in the BE Tourney and 0-2 in the NCAA tourney. He needs to turn that around in a few weeks or people will be asking for his head.

Nobody will ask for his head

Reaction Score

1000% correct. Why have AJ in there??? Have Clingan inbound the ball to Sanogo (or vice versa) and then flip to ANY of those other 3. It was terrible execution on the part of the coaching staff and the players.

Reaction Score
While this stat may be true, I don’t know if today is the day for this post….both teams played really good defense in the second half and made it tough for each other. Today was a step in the right direction for road games in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Hurley can't shoot the ball or make passes. Not his fault players did not execute and Jackson was a human turn over machine. 26% shooting will loose every game. Players have to play better it's that simple.
No, he cant shoot the ball or make the passes but sitting Clingan for so long and playing AJ for so long, is criminal. Not only that, it was embarrassing watching them not defend AJ. You think that's doing anything for the kid's confidence? He'd be less embarrassed sitting on the bench pumping up his teammates.

Reaction Score
Hurley has forgotten more about the game than we will ever know, but it matters little if can’t put it use. It’s very disturbing how poorly this guy closes out when the stakes are high.

Reaction Score
Hurley has forgotten more about the game than we will ever know, but it matters little if can’t put it use. It’s very disturbing how poorly this guy closes out when the stakes are high.
I work in a level 1 trauma center and watched doctors with 30 years experience bumble about with COVID patients. Experience means nothing when your personality interferes with your in-moment decision making.

He just hasn’t shown it, and his players are a direct reflection of his issues. They don’t know what to do in tight situations.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Normally I blast Hurley but I’ll give him a pass for today. Creighton is a brutal place to play. That being said, we only have three great wins this year. This is a trend for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom