Hurley Threads (merged) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley Threads (merged)

Reaction Score
T
Please! He won with guys who hardly played any meaningful minutes for JC. Minus Shabazz they all had much more bench time than court time. And they came off an APR year as well. Add to that he was on the staff and helped make the players better so the Ollie win with JCs players is old and off target.
This is always one of my all time quotes. “Calhouns players”.However in this blog,somewhere, the statement of “some other coach ,with Hurleys current roster ,would be far more successful.” Lingers, forgotten. Kimani wins with Hurleys roster. Yet he, like Ollie, closed the deal on many of them when recruiting them. They were as much his.

Reaction Score
No doubt, he obviously did most of that because of where he started with Bazz & Calhoun coached guys.

But he still managed to win the AAC and a game in 2016 with all of his own guys.
How we forget the Dham 2016 aac trophy.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Read the section of Gavin Keefe's pre-game article about UConn in yesterday's New London Day below.
Two things jump out - 1. Ollie's termination was determined to be w/o cause resulting in a $11mm payday for him and 2. Ollie won a National Championship from the 7th spot in 2014.
Before Hurley opens his mouth again, he should put some positive numbers on the board.

"This group will always be remembered for lifting this program from a really, really embarrassing, bad point....," Hurley said. "It's not easy coming from a worst league with a bad team to one of the best leagues in the country and playing at the top of the conference two years in a row, getting to the (Big East tournament) semis and being a hair away from playing for a championship Saturday, going to back-to-back NCAA tournaments from where we were in the AAC."

Really? Go win your first game at the dance for UConn before you say another peep!

That quote is an embarrassment. Hurley hasn't accomplished anything, and he is trashing Ollie?

OLLIE WON A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

Ollie's last season was skewed by Gilbert's injury and several unexpected transfers out. As for the conference situation, that helps Hurley, not hurt him. He wouldn't have been able to recruit anyone to play at UConn in that stupid southern mid-major league that UConn shouldn't have joined in the first place.

Ollie stayed loyal to the school when he could have gone anywhere, and was then dealt a sandwich as a reward. Hurley has accomplished ABSOLUTELY NOTHING at UConn despite huge advantages, and now he is talking trash about old coaches?

Anyone who says something like that quote is a loser. The kind of person that looks for excuses rather than solves problems. I don't think Hurley will be successful here.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
T

This is always one of my all time quotes. “Calhouns players”.However in this blog,somewhere, the statement of “some other coach ,with Hurleys current roster ,would be far more successful.” Lingers, forgotten. Kimani wins with Hurleys roster. Yet he, like Ollie, closed the deal on many of them when recruiting them. They were as much his.

I would make Kimani the coach tomorrow after that Hurley quote.

Reaction Score
Hurley was named a coach 4 years ago. We weren't Depaul with glory days from 40 years ago. UConn was two years removed from playing in the NCAA tournament, 4 years from winning a national championship. UConn is the most popular sport in the state. Once it got out of the AAC, a middling coach could do well here. It plays on national tv. Has a rabid fan base (apologies to the Buffalo naysayers). Outstanding facilities. Access to prep programs and by default geographically an ideal location. As a rural campus it offers security for sending kids to do one thing-play basketball with the hopes of making a living, either domestically or overseas. You are also instantly part of a couple hundred strong family with a network of great coaches, executives and former players to help you in your future.

UConn is bigger than Hurley. So it gets a bit tiresome to hear this rebuild trope. The lot was long picked, the foundation long laid. The magnificent house already constructed. All that was needed was someone to repair the garage from the car slamming through its doors. Hard work? I guess. Impossible work? No. So it's time for Hurley to long move past that rebuild trope and look at why coming from a legendary coaching family he kind of sucks as a game coach.
Agree 100 percent, nice post

Reaction Score
That quote is an embarrassment. Hurley hasn't accomplished anything, and he is trashing Ollie?

Ollie's last season was skewed by Gilbert's injury and several unexpected transfers out. As for the conference situation, that helps Hurley, not hurt him. He wouldn't have been able to recruit anyone to play at UConn in that stupid southern mid-major league that UConn shouldn't have joined in the first place.

Ollie stayed loyal to the school when he could have gone anywhere, and was then dealt a sandwich as a reward. Hurley has accomplished ABSOLUTELY NOTHING at UConn despite huge advantages, and now he is talking trash about old coaches?

Anyone who says something like that quote is a loser. The kind of person that looks for excuses rather than solves problems. I don't think Hurley will be successful here.
This is moronic. Ollie won a NC, which we should forever be grateful for. But he left the program in a horrible position with little to nothing to look forward to. Let's not forget that Hurley recruited Bouk, our best talent in the last 6 years, while we were still in that southern mod-major conference.

Reaction Score
And what’s your explanation for this season? Definitely more talented than us and definitely underperformed us all season. He’s also not exactly the “calming presence in the huddle” everyone swears would’ve been the difference in us making a huge run this year.
I have no idea, I don't follow them much and never advocated for having Oats over Hurley but he's accomplished more there than Hurley has here so far. I watched some of the game today and they looked bad, I think not having their point guard had something to do with it.

Reaction Score
Let’s be honest. If you’ve been paying attention, you know the team was flawed.
Of course. Hurley was not running top 20 players out there but neither was the opponent, but Hurley has to accept the blame and NOT put down anyone in an excuse. He should publicly ammend that statement.
That said he has to address roster deficiencies right away.

Reaction Score
Alabama was materially worse than Connecticut all season. And, incidentally, who talks about Hurley in the context of Calhoun more than you do?
Materially worse?? They beat two of the 4 #1 seeds and were a 6 seed to our 5. Where do you come up with this stuff??

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I have no idea, I don't follow them much and never advocated for having Oats over Hurley but he's accomplished more there than Hurley has here so far. I watched some of the game today and they looked bad, I think not having their point guard had something to do with it.
They didn’t have their point guard today but they were brutal most of the year except for a couple games. They lost to Georgia who is significantly lower ranked by kenpom than Georgetown. Their loss today was in character with them this year and they were preseason top 10 and picked by most to win the sec.

Reaction Score
I think some of you forget that Hurley himself coached in the AAC and had a bad season with these senior class players. He said "from where WE were in the AAC".

He didn't say anything about Ollie in that statement.

You doth protest too much if you read embarrassing low point as a dig at Ollie and leapt to defend him.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

If you thought the transfers out were unexpected...

Reaction Score
Jay Wright once lost a second round game with 9 top 100 recruits on his roster.

Reaction Score
Hurley is recruiting well. How long does his contract extend?

Reaction Score

Can’t say stuff like that around here. That’s like pointing out that Bill Self had consecutive first round losses to Bradley and Bucknell after taking a national runner up team he inherited from Cryin’ Roy to the elite eight in year one. Hurley is uniquely inept in the tournament and will not improve.

Reaction Score
So did Calhoun and K but it was the first round. Who cares?

Reaction Score
So did Calhoun and K but it was the first round. Who cares?

Jay Wright circa 2022 is not the coach he’s always been. He’s improved. He’s said as much a million times. Why will Hurley not? Why are we uniquely doomed?

Reaction Score
Jay Wright circa 2022 is not the coach he’s always been. He’s improved. He’s said as much a million times. Why will Hurley not? Why are we uniquely doomed?
He can and I really hope he does but there's worrying signs so far. We're really easy to scout and the moment has seemed too big for him so far. He has to get a couple of very good players before next season.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Read the section of Gavin Keefe's pre-game article about UConn in yesterday's New London Day below.
Two things jump out - 1. Ollie's termination was determined to be w/o cause resulting in a $11mm payday for him and 2. Ollie won a National Championship from the 7th spot in 2014.
Before Hurley opens his mouth again, he should put some positive numbers on the board.

"This group will always be remembered for lifting this program from a really, really embarrassing, bad point....," Hurley said. "It's not easy coming from a worst league with a bad team to one of the best leagues in the country and playing at the top of the conference two years in a row, getting to the (Big East tournament) semis and being a hair away from playing for a championship Saturday, going to back-to-back NCAA tournaments from where we were in the AAC."

Really? Go win your first game at the dance for UConn before you say another peep!

With Seton Halls loss and Houstons win, the American and NBE have close to the same amount of teams left heading into the first weekend.

Reaction Score
I couldn't believe hearing that Iowa State went 2-22 in 2020/21 and are 21-12 after being LSU in the NCAA Tournament on Saturday night. Now that's a turnaround. I couldn't believe my ears when I heard it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom