Hurley post game presser X. | The Boneyard

Hurley post game presser X.

Reaction Score
Hurley is great. The comments around Karaban‘s bloody eye was biting. Another, not so subtle jab at refs. I’m sure this just feeds the ref retaliation against us. I’m ok with it. It was a rediculous “no call”… a “basketball play” as was noted during the telecast. OBVIOUS ELBOW S UP!

Last edited:

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Hurley is great. The comments around Karaban‘s bloody eye was biting. Another, not so subtle jab at refs. I’m sure this just feeds the ref retaliation against us. I’m ok with it. It was a rediculous “no call”… a “basketball play” as was noted during the telecast. OBVIOUS ELBOW S UP
Compare it to the play in the Kansas game last weekend. That’s a flagrant and this isn’t? Referees are a joke in every sport at every level.

Reaction Score
Compare it to the play in the Kansas game last weekend. That’s a flagrant and this isn’t? Referees are a joke in every sport at every level.
Kansas yes, X, no, a basketball play. For all the grabbing, holding, touching, and mugging they allowed, yeah, just a normal play. X had fouls to give at 30 seconds left.

Reaction Score
A friend, an AI researcher, told me that his firm is developing AI to replace referees. They are starting with baseball.

Effectively, it’s already been done for Tennis. When they first implemented the line calls, some of the players wanted to challenge calls from habit.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
A friend, an AI researcher, told me that his firm is developing AI to replace referees. They are starting with baseball.
They are developing AI to replace everything. I guess refs is sports is as good a venture as the one where they are developing AI to replace many in the legal profession like paralegals and some lower level lawyers.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

There are a few versions out there. Here is some footage of the Jeff Anderson prototype:

robot leaping GIF

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think someone can get a bloody cut from a regular basketball play because a hit to that particular area will result in a cut.
Yesterdays was more or less a regular basketball play and the elbows were level with the floor.
I didn't have an issue with that vs the 100s of hacks the UConn players were receiving in the 1st half and no calls were made at all.

Reaction Score
The worst part about officials nowadays is that if you dare criticize them or try and get them to do their jobs better they throw a hissy fit and purposefully do a worse job. The NFL replay review stuff was the most childish thing I've ever seen.

Reaction Score
Not sure how AI would work. A computer would probably call holding or PI on every down in the NFL and a foul on every possession in the NBA. Other than things like balls/strikes or in/out not sure computers could ever get the nuance of the game.

Reaction Score
Not sure how AI would work. A computer would probably call holding or PI on every down in the NFL and a foul on every possession in the NBA. Other than things like balls/strikes or in/out not sure computers could ever get the nuance of the game.
This.
Sports would be unwatchable. There's too much nuance in football and basketball.
I have no issue using the tennis technology to call balls and strikes though...that one seems overdue.

Reaction Score
I think in every sport there's something you could use AI for. Even in football something as simple as having AI control the spots, automate the play clock, and call offsides, it would let officials focus on other things

Reaction Score
I think in every sport there's something you could use AI for. Even in football something as simple as having AI control the spots, automate the play clock, and call offsides, it would let officials focus on other things

Agreed - things that are objective, rules-based, and not controversial. But you don't need "AI" to do that. The tech to do most of that stuff has been around for many years. Don't think it moves the needle. The stuff that people get mad about - they would be 10x as mad if a computer made the call.

Reaction Score
Agreed - things that are objective, rules-based, and not controversial. But you don't need "AI" to do that. The tech to do most of that stuff has been around for many years. Don't think it moves the needle. The stuff that people get mad about - they would be 10x as mad if a computer made the call.
I think it greatly moves the needle because if each official has less they have to pay attention to, it should result in better officiating overall. There's no more excuses. it also makes it easier to train and hire replacements so you can finally get rid of guys that flat out suck but somehow keep their job.

Reaction Score
For what it's worth, one doesn't need AI for most of the things being discussed in this thread. Traditional machine vision can accomplish all the in/out, balls/strikes, etc. stuff. Judgement calls like PI and holding would probably be quite good applications for AI. Caveat: I don't really know what I'm talking about when it comes to AI. (I know a fair bit about machine vision though.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom