Hurley Interview - Field of 68 | The Boneyard

Hurley Interview - Field of 68

Reaction Score

Really good interview with Coach. I specifically like the part (around 6:20) he looks back and talks about the tournament loss to New Mexico State. Takes alot of the blame for that loss and says the roster was poorly constructed in terms of shooting and skill. He did not adapt to the modern offensive game and that he had to change his coaching identity. He felt that culture/hard play/defensive mentality was only going to get him so far.

It is crazy to think how in one off season the staff flipped the roster with shooters and started running what people were calling last year the most modern offense in college basketball. With a deep playbook that had sets upon sets and counters off of those sets. Really just a remarkable job of keeping the culture, hard play and defensive identity but adding on and being open to how the game is evolving and finding the rights players to fit around the scheme he wanted to play with the core (Adama/Hawk/Andre) that he had in place.

It is exciting to have a coach that has some core beliefs but is willing and able to adapt to the skills on the roster from year to year. That is how you stay competitive year after year.

Reaction Score
It is exciting to have a coach that has some core beliefs but is willing and able to adapt to the skills on the roster from year to year. That is how you stay competitive year after year.
Remember the Hurley on the "hot seat" or the "fire Hurley" posts last season? It was lunacy. He did get some fair criticism and he answered all of it except for one question that still remains and that is can he outcoach a top tier coach in the final minutes of a close game? Thats the only thing "missing from his game" so to speak. He can do that and there really isnt much people can try to hold against him although no one is perfect. Cant wait for the season to begin.

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
He did not adapt to the modern offensive game and that he had to change his coaching identity. He felt that culture/hard play/defensive mentality was only going to get him so far.
As a longtime fan of the Patriots and Bill Belichick, I feel this one hard.

Reaction Score
Great interview but when he talks about repeating he mentions Florida doing it and says who did it before them, you have to go back to Oscar Robertson. Come on Coach, did you forget your brother did it? Or how about all those UCLA teams?

Reaction Score
Great interview but when he talks about repeating he mentions Florida doing it and says who did it before them, you have to go back to Oscar Robertson. Come on Coach, did you forget your brother did it? Or how about all those UCLA teams?
Maybe he was trolling Bobby, LMFAO. That's such a big omission that it is comical.

Reaction Score

My fast waning memory tells me Oscar Robertson never won a national championship

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I thing everything he says has a purpose. There was a thread on the yard early on during the euro tour about SC not starting. The BY had it right. He is going to be tough on him. Even unwilling to accept the statement from Dauster that he looked awfully good in practice. If he is going to be one and done Hurley is going to make sure the one helps the team and not only the player. Culture, culture, culture. Favorite part of the interview was the piece on complacency. He is self aware enough to know he is going to have to fight himself not to find something that is not there. We have the best coach in CBB. Would not trade him for anyone. He is going to have more success and eventually with enough of that he is going to be offered something at the next level. I hope we keep him for another five years.

Reaction Score
Remember the Hurley on the "hot seat" or the "fire Hurley" posts last season? It was lunacy. He did get some fair criticism and he answered all of it except for one question that still remains and that is can he outcoach a top tier coach in the final minutes of a close game? Thats the only thing "missing from his game" so to speak. He can do that and there really isnt much people can try to hold against him although no one is perfect. Cant wait for the season to begin.
The best fire Hurley was @HailUConn ,I believe it was, wanting to fire him at halftime of the Iona game. Correct me if I'm wrong on the poster.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He admits here that he messed up with that.

What's up with this guy doing Kegels in the background?
1698071966414.png

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The best fire Hurley was @HailUConn ,I believe it was, wanting to fire him at halftime of the Iona game. Correct me if I'm wrong on the poster.
I think you're right. I always forget who it was but that was the first Mojo "suicide" we've had on the Boneyard. It was like the molten lava of all hot takes.

I have to believe "fire Hurley" and Bill Murray were the mojo fuel for last year's run.

("Nerds didn't hurt either.)

Reaction Score
That's Dom Amore of the Courant. I said the same thing in the thread about Hurley's media availability. What the heck is he doing?

This is hilarious. I guarantee he had a doctor tell him it's important to get exercise and he can get exercise wherever he is during the day so he's doing kegels during the interview.

He has lost weight, good for him.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
I might be the "hot seat" guy your talking about, I posted something probably early May last year saying something to the effect that if they finished poorly in the league and got bounce out of the NCAA's the first weekend or worse then he might be on the hot seat, with that said it was before the freshman committed and he hit the portal and put together last years great team & put that notion to bed. I (early on) thought he might have been stubborn & inflexible in his methods but with hindsight he was doing the best he could with the personel and was playing them in a way that gave them the best chance to win. I don't think my thought was wrong then but he showed himself to be a masterful coach & recruiter. He gets the benefit of the doubt from me without question here on out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom