Hurley got murked by Turgeon | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hurley got murked by Turgeon

Reaction Score
How many points did we average in the 3 games over that span against actual good teams? It’s one thing to score 90 against Depaul and G’Town.
Let’s do this. Take out the two highest games in that stretch and the two lowest so the 90s and 60s are gone. They averaged over 75 pts per game.

Reaction Score
Let’s do this. Take out the two highest games in that stretch and the two lowest so the 90s and 60s are gone. They averaged over 75 pts per game.
We feasted on bad Big East teams, what don’t you understand? When we ran into average to good teams, Maryland, Nova and Creighton, we averaged 57 ppg.

Reaction Score
We feasted on bad Big East teams, what don’t you understand? When we ran into average to good teams, Maryland, Nova and Creighton, we averaged 57 ppg.
Wait a minute. I’ve read over and over and over again here that both Maryland and Creighton were awful teams. Seriously go back and read all the posts about how bad each one was. Now they are “average to good”. Ok, got it

Reaction Score
Wait a minute. I’ve read over and over and over again here that both Maryland and Creighton were awful teams. Seriously go back and read all the posts about how bad each one was. Now they are “average to good”. Ok, got it
I never said that, nor ever thought it. Maryland survived in the toughest conference in the country. Creighton is a bit overrated but is a good team and has shot makers. Neither is bad at all.

Reaction Score
I never said that, nor ever thought it. Maryland survived in the toughest conference in the country. Creighton is a bit overrated but is a good team and has shot makers. Neither is bad at all.
So you are the arbiter of who is good and who is bad? If UConn scores points that team must be bad. If they struggle to score that team is good. Ok.

Reaction Score
So you are the arbiter of who is good and who is bad? If UConn scores points that team must be bad. If they struggle to score that team is good. Ok.
What the hell are you talking about? You’re literally all over the place lol.

Reaction Score
What the hell are you talking about? You’re literally all over the place lol.
You are picking and choosing who is bad and who is good to support your argument. You want to eliminate any team that UConn scored well against. Quick search on Ken Pom shows Creighton, USC, DePaul and Georgetown in the top 50 In defensive rating.

Reaction Score
You are picking and choosing who is bad and who is good to support your argument. You want to eliminate any team that UConn scored well against. Quick search on Ken Pom shows Creighton, USC, DePaul and Georgetown in the top 50 In defensive rating.
Well USC wasn’t in the last 10 games that you mentioned, so you can just forget them. Creighton is a good defensive team and team in general, never said they weren’t. Depaul and G’Town have the benefit of being in the BE to boost their defensive numbers. There’s isn’t a great offensive team in our league. And if you want to hang your hat on scoring 90 on an ATROCIOUS Depaul team, and a G’Town team that got hot for a few games but other than that was pretty awful as well, go for it. I base my observations on playing teams that we expect to be on the level on.

Reaction Score
Well USC wasn’t in the last 10 games that you mentioned, so you can just forget them. Creighton is a good defensive team and team in general, never said they weren’t. Depaul and G’Town have the benefit of being in the BE to boost their defensive numbers. There’s isn’t a great offensive team in our league. And if you want to hang your hat on scoring 90 on an ATROCIOUS Depaul team, and a G’Town team that got hot for a few games but other than that was pretty awful as well, go for it. I base my observations on playing teams that we expect to be on the level on.
Once again, you are making stuff up to suit you. DePaul is not a good overall team but they are a good defensive team. Same as Gtown. Because UConn scored well against those teams you can’t have them be good defensively despite what the numbers say. I should have been more clear on the USC mention. Of the teams UConn played, those 5 (add Maryland) were in the Top 50 defensively. There are roughly 350 division 1 programs so top 50 is the top 15% defensively. I haven’t run the UConn scoring numbers for the games against those teams but that would be a fair assessment whatever it comes out to

Reaction Score
So I think most on the board can agree that Hurley:
A. Is no offensive guru.
B. Is stubborn and does not change ways easily.
C. Needs assistants that will help him in game time situations.
So let me ask.....what do our assistants.....do, then? Kimani is supposed to be some up and comer, and Moore is a vet- but are they really not helping Hurley coach an offense? What they getting paid to do? Clap?
Do we need 3 top notch recruiters or would we be better off with a real Xs and Os guy as our 3rd assistant? Maybe I’m mistaken and Tom Moore is that guy but doesn’t seem that way. Even Calhoun after 35 years of coaching experience had Blaney.

Reaction Score
Once again, you are making stuff up to suit you. DePaul is not a good overall team but they are a good defensive team. Same as Gtown. Because UConn scored well against those teams you can’t have them be good defensively despite what the numbers say. I should have been more clear on the USC mention. Of the teams UConn played, those 5 (add Maryland) were in the Top 50 defensively. There are roughly 350 division 1 programs so top 50 is the top 15% defensively. I haven’t run the UConn scoring numbers for the games against those teams but that would be a fair assessment whatever it comes out to
Okay so I went and actually looked up numbers to prove you wrong. Depaul and Georgetown both give up 72 ppg. 211th and 221st in the nation. So, there it is, bad defensive teams. End of argument.

Reaction Score
Do we need 3 top notch recruiters or would we be better off with a real Xs and Os guy as our 3rd assistant? Maybe I’m mistaken and Tom Moore is that guy but doesn’t seem that way. Even Calhoun after 35 years of coaching experience had Blaney.
How often do you even see Danny talking to his assistants during the game? Calhoun would sit next to Leitao, Dickenman, Blaney. He'd kneel near them and talk to them a lot during games.

Reaction Score
Okay so I went and actually looked up numbers to prove you wrong. Depaul and Georgetown both give up 72 ppg. 211th and 221st in the nation. So, there it is, bad defensive teams. End of argument.
You arent thinking this through. If you arent taking into account for pace of play and possessions per game then it's not an accurate measure. I believe KenPom does that. Points allowed per possession is another good measure (too lazy to look that up).

Reaction Score
You arent thinking this through. If you arent taking into account for pace of play and possessions per game then it's not an accurate measure. I believe KenPom does that. Points allowed per possession is another good measure (too lazy to look that up).
Oh my lord. Please die on the hill that Depaul is a good defensive team. Analytics are incredibly overrated. Analytics said we were a top 25 offensive team. Anyone who watched our games could see that wasn’t true. 221st in defensive PPG is not a good defensive team no matter how you cut it.

Reaction Score
Oh my lord. Please die on the hill that Depaul is a good defensive team. Analytics are incredibly overrated. Analytics said we were a top 25 offensive team. Anyone who watched our games could see that wasn’t true. 221st in defensive PPG is not a good defensive team no matter how you cut it.
Baahahahahahaha - yes Analytics are overrated. OK Boomer

Reaction Score
It’s hilarious that you think a 5-14 team that gave up 72ppg is a good defensive team.
It's even funnier that all you consider is a straight PPG view rather than taking into account things like pace of play and amount of possessions during a game. Pomeroy has been innovative as heck in tempo based basketball analytics which is why college programs use his work to gain insight and advantages. So, let's see, use Ken Pom work or go with Cardiac Andre analysis on the world wide web? HMMMMMMMM

Reaction Score
It's even funnier that all you consider is a straight PPG view rather than taking into account things like pace of play and amount of possessions during a game. Pomeroy has been innovative as heck in tempo based basketball analytics which is why college programs use his work to gain insight and advantages. So, let's see, use Ken Pom work or go with Cardiac Andre analysis on the world wide web? HMMMMMMMM
And from just like, watching the games. We averaged 81 ppg in the 5 games against G’Town and Depaul. 9 ppg more than our season average. Does that mean a thing?

Reaction Score
Y'all are nuts.

Remember Calhoun's offense? It was basically a pro iso that relied on us having the best scorer on the floor and if we didn't we couldn't win. Luckily, we had some of the greatest guards in NCAA history. And savage defense, including shot blocking (which would've made a huge difference yesterday).

There are a lot of different ways to win basketball games. You don't have to run a motion offense. You don't have to do anything.

Hurley made URI good. THE UNIVERSITY OF RHODE ISLAND.

He took the absolute dumpster fire we were before he got here and got us back into the tournament in a reasonable timeframe and seems to have the same kind of tenacious spirit that Calhoun had.

Is he a perfect coach? No. But who is? Especially when you haven't been doing it THAT long. Remember how many years Calhoun had the reputation about being unable to win the big game and get to the Final Four? And then we won 3 titles with him.

I hope Hurley continues to get better, but he's done a very solid job, especially given the situation thus far. If he plateaus and can't take the team to the next level then you deal with that then, but making the tournament this year was an absolutely reasonable goal for this team.

Reaction Score
And from just like, watching the games. We averaged 81 ppg in the 5 games against G’Town and Depaul. 9 ppg more than our season average. Does that mean a thing?
Ummmnm that our offense was good in those games? Nah it can’t be that. Has to be that they stink

Reaction Score
Ummmnm that our offense was good in those games? Nah it can’t be that. Has to be that they stink
Well now you’re picking and choosing, it goes both ways, the offense could’ve played well, or the defense could’ve been bad. But the last time we played Georgetown their defense was literally non existent, so ill go with that.

Reaction Score
Well now you’re picking and choosing, it goes both ways, the offense could’ve played well, or the defense could’ve been bad. But the last time we played Georgetown their defense was literally non existent, so ill go with that.
Nope I am literally using the data and information of an expert on this topic. Not picking and choosing anything. But keep struggling with your rationale

Reaction Score
Nope I am literally using the data and information of an expert on this topic. Not picking and choosing anything. But keep struggling with your rationale
Lol okay, keep contradicting yourself, this has been fun though, agree to disagree.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom