Hurley: 'Finding a General Manager is a top priority' | The Boneyard

Hurley: 'Finding a General Manager is a top priority'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good article here from Borges.

Main takeaways:

1) Staff will be focusing on 2024 recruiting until Jackson and Newton make their final decisions in a month from now.
2) Kimani and Luke will both be here next year
3) Hurley's main priority with the staff is hiring a GM, which is what Duke did last year, and Nova just did a week ago.

"In college basketball, it's an organization," Hurley said. "With re-recruitment of players in the program, the portal, there's a lot of things going on. If you're a top-level organization in college basketball or college football, you need someone who looks at themselves as a GM, for dealing with scheduling, the conference, NIL, raising money. It's almost more important than critical staff members."

Anyone got any good names to throw into the mix? An ex-player? AAU guy?

Reaction Score

I Got It Ok GIF by StickerGiant

Reaction Score

Main takeaways:

1) Staff will be focusing on 2024 recruiting until Jackson and Newton make their final decisions in a month from now.
3) Hurley's main priority with the staff is hiring a GM, which is what Duke did last year, and Nova just did a week ago.

"In college basketball, it's an organization," Hurley said. "With re-recruitment of players in the program, the portal, there's a lot of things going on. If you're a top-level organization in college basketball or college football, you need someone who looks at themselves as a GM, for dealing with scheduling, the conference, NIL, raising money. It's almost more important than critical staff members."

As this GM role becomes more commonplace in college basketball and football, I believe that you’ll see different schools hire people with very different backgrounds - based on needs, current athletic department strengths and resources, etc. Some schools will hire people with strong sport-specific credentials, while others will bring on people from the pro sports industry, whose backgrounds lean more towards business operations.

Reaction Score
The article also mentions them looking to develop a GM type of role. That was going to be Eric a year ago before he decided to step back from college basketball, which kind of stalled the hiring process.

I wrote this in the other thread about this article. The original approach was going to be reorganizing the guys on the current staff. Now, a year later, it might be filled externally.

Reaction Score
Main takeaways:

Idk that he'd take and idk if people would like it but I bet Glenn Miller would be great at it.

Reaction Score

Main takeaways:

How about Steve Pikell?

Reaction Score
Are any of the former UConn players active as agents, in advertising/marketing, or front office roles?

Reaction Score
It should be at this point

Agreed. There’s no one on the current staff who has his experience (player, grad assistant, DBO). It’s a unique role- it’s not necessarily the next step before getting an assistant job (which makes a bunch of people not interested) and requires a varied skill set (have to do the tedious, detail oriented work while also being able to schmooze it up).

ETA- when it comes to contract negotiations, a competitive package for a role like this is the kind of stuff he wants

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As much as I'd love to have Newton and Jackson back, I'd be even happier if they were both drafted and went on to the NBA.

Would think that filling the GM role will go fairly quickly once they set the specifics of the job and list it.

Reaction Score
Sounds like a job for a lawyer with business management skills.
What an awesome job. Duke hired a former Nike exec, so you can see the level of experience required for this. Ideally a former player that is super interested or has experience in the business side of things or a lawyer like Metsfan mentioned or someone with experience at a Nike or something similar.

Reaction Score
What an awesome job. Duke hired a former Nike exec, so you can see the level of experience required for this. Ideally a former player that is super interested or has experience in the business side of things or a lawyer like Metsfan mentioned or someone with experience at a Nike or something similar.
Yup was just gonna say this. It has to be someone who is connected in the business side of the basketball world. Swin Cash is currently the VP of basketball operations for the Pelicans. She could be a potential candidate.

Also Caron Butler...although he is an actual coach for the Heat, not a front office guy

Reaction Score

Main takeaways:

While I do want us to focus on 2024 recruiting, I think we still need to be monitoring the transfer market (and would assume we are even though it wasn't worded that way). We have one open scholarship at a minimum - and in my opinion should focus on a 2/3 type with a good outside shot who is comfortable enough as a 6th/7th man but could also be in the mix to start if TN/AJ leave. Honestly, an Alleyne type is exactly who we should be looking for. I'm worried that if we just sit back and do nothing until the end of May, pickings will be slim with guys who are still available. Could get lucky and snag another Joey C type late, but that would be like catching lightning in a bottle two years in a row.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Yup was just gonna say this. It has to be someone who is connected in the business side of the basketball world. Swin Cash is currently the VP of basketball operations for the Pelicans. She could be a potential candidate.

Also Caron Butler...although he is an actual coach for the Heat, not a front office guy
Swin would be a slam dunk

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Haha, how about Jay Bilas.
10 years ago he’d be the top pick I assume he could still kill it if he wanted, but we won’t pay as much as what he makes ( and shouldn’t) . It would be fun to see someone come to the light side of the force, you can tell he wants to. But yeah, never. Swin would have take a huge cut too but she bleeds blue

Last edited:

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
This position needs someone who is highly organized, experienced at managing multiple moving parts, and knows how to implement projects and programs. While I'm sure there are some out there who could do it, not the first characteristics I usually identify with "former players".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom