Hurley Article on next years roster | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hurley Article on next years roster

Reaction Score
I'm hoping Polley turns into the player we thought Larrier would be. Polley has a decent stroke from three, he needs to continue to improve his shot. This team is going to have to press and run, and I think Hurley will get them to do just that.

I wouldn't mind if Larrier came back, but I'd prefer Akinjo because it's a glaring need. I can't see Cobb leaving, he'll be a senior (right?). I really hope we keep Carlton and Whaley. If someone leaves, I would prefer Williams so we can bring in that 4* Harris kid Hurley was recruiting to URI. nothing against the guy, if he stays, I'll pull for him, I just think we're better off with a freshman able to come in and contribute as much, if not more, who we'll have for 3-4 years.

Best case scenario IMO is Williams transfers out, the rest of the team returns, Akinjo comes back to the fold and we land Harris. We'd add depth at PG and talent in the frontcourt. So much so I could see Kisunas redshirting, which would probably be best for him and the team long-term.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Larrier does not have an NBA body, handle or shot and cannot play D. I wonder if he was gunshy after tearing up his leg and afraid of injury. He seems to be athletic but has a lot of work to go anywhere. Truly wish him the best whether playing or coaching. Tough for him with the chaos the past couple of years.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
An exciting article to read. Love the comments on Matthews. Great to see hoves UCONN and is cool with the new coach. Also very interesting to see Blaney working the phones on Carlton.

What is Rhody's timeline on picking a coach? Sounds like Hurley is going to go after Harris even if David Cox gets the head coaching gig.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What ids Rhody's timeline on picking a coach? Sounds like Hurley is going to go after Harris even if David Cox gets the head coaching gig.
IIRC 20 minutes.

(I saw a headline that said they'd pick a coach after the Final 4, but could be sooner I guess).

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
URI coach is the biggest domino to fall. I'd be surprised if they walk away from Cox though.

Reaction Score
I am not saying he will be a star but to totally dismiss his ability is simply a joke. He will certainly need to bulk up but he has potential and many scouts view him as more of a prospect than Adams. I would say he was in a bad system the last two years but that would acknowledge us actually having a system. There aren't many guys that would watch Adams hold the ball on top of the key for 25plus seconds, have the other guys stand still, receive a pass with the shot clock under 10, and score efficiently. Some of this is on Larrier but a lot of isn't. Most NBA personnel will look at Larrier in a different way than the boneyard.
Look the guy is a turnover machine and you can't blame Ollie for that because at the Div. 1 level he should be a decent ball handler. Larrier isn't. He may be a good shooter when he shoots in rhythm but that is about it. He plays uninspired D and doesn't rebound. We will miss some of his scoring but we won't miss the points he gives up on turnovers. If you want to blame someone blame his youth coach.

C

Chief00

Causal fan here with a two cent opinion. This team needs at least one new PG recruit and at least two if Adams does not return. Anything else Hurley accomplishes this off season with the roster is a bonus (adding one big man).

Thanks for the post - keep posting!

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
They have the majority of their incoming recruiting class tied to Cox as the point recruiter.
There is probably more tied to him than just the freshman class.....it should be an easy decision

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
You keep beating the same drum. It was the coach and the players that stunk. However, many of the players stunk because the coach didn’t make them better. An awful lot of teaching goes into good defense. Larrier is not a player that can’t defend at this level. His physical attributes ensure that he can defend.
Not sure I agree on the physical attributes. Take a look at those lower legs. Tell me anyone in the NBA who has legs like that. In this case I don't think there is much he can do it about that; he was born with that. He can't really hold ground with lowers like that in college let alone pros. If those are his lowers, how much can he build on the upper legs?

Reaction Score
So who in your mind played good defense? In criticizing Larrier, while not entirely wrong on the surface, you aren't answering the questions as to why. Larrier's season highlights how bad this team was coached. Scouts understand that. Larrier has the ability to be coached up and like most players here, has not improved because no coach was in place to develop him. His downside is age. His upside at the next level is higher than Adams. Larrier is much better than he showed this season and while I doubt he gets drafted, I could very easily see him sign a two way and dominate the G-League. He is not a bad player. He was a good player on a horribly coached team that opponents could focus on and take out of his game.
Seems really far fetched to me, its well acknowledged that Larrier isn't getting a sniff for draft - but 'scouts' and the next level understand his game and look at him differently? Um, him not getting drafted means scouts look at him and elect to go in a different direction. It doesn't even seem there's a chance Larrier gets a G-league look, especially as that league gets more serious. Most decent high D1 players can play pro ball overseas, but that seems to be consensus only option for Larrier.
Yet given all that you say early in the thread; "... coming back is absolutely the worst thing he can do." ?! Hyperbole sure, but I don't understand. If Larrier can turn it around via basketball in Czechoslavakia there is surely some upside to working hard and improving within the NBA radar screen at UConn. Might be a bad fit for both, but if so, that says more negative than positive about Larrier and his pro aspirations.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Interesting list. Personally, I would love to see Pitino but would have to take some incoming fire on that one.

GoLocalProv | Sports | Who Will Be URI’s Next Basketball Coach—See the Potential List
I journeyed over the Rhody board and they seem to be on 1 of 2 sides - Either Cox or Pitino. I think folks need to realize with Cox that being a good coach and great recruiter is not the same as running a program. While elevated assistants can succeed, I would like to see him get some head coach experience somewhere first. And Pitino is just crazy. I am not sure why they are not all over Oats. He is the best guy for the job IF they can get him...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm hoping Polley turns into the player we thought Larrier would be. Polley has a decent stroke from three, he needs to continue to improve his shot. This team is going to have to press and run, and I think Hurley will get them to do just that.

I wouldn't mind if Larrier came back, but I'd prefer Akinjo because it's a glaring need. I can't see Cobb leaving, he'll be a senior (right?). I really hope we keep Carlton and Whaley. If someone leaves, I would prefer Williams so we can bring in that 4* Harris kid Hurley was recruiting to URI. nothing against the guy, if he stays, I'll pull for him, I just think we're better off with a freshman able to come in and contribute as much, if not more, who we'll have for 3-4 years.

Best case scenario IMO is Williams transfers out, the rest of the team returns, Akinjo comes back to the fold and we land Harris. We'd add depth at PG and talent in the frontcourt. So much so I could see Kisunas redshirting, which would probably be best for him and the team long-term.

On the face of it, we are a bit hamstrung as far as scholarships go at the moment. Hard for Hurley to put his own stamp when he's committed to bringing everyone back. We've only got one available without Akinjo.

On top of that, we only free up two scholarships for next year.

The balance in our classes is so out of wack right now.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Seems really far fetched to me, its well acknowledged that Larrier isn't getting a sniff for draft - but 'scouts' and the next level understand his game and look at him differently? Um, him not getting drafted means scouts look at him and elect to go in a different direction. It doesn't even seem there's a chance Larrier gets a G-league look, especially as that league gets more serious. Most decent high D1 players can play pro ball overseas, but that seems to be consensus only option for Larrier.
Yet given all that you say early in the thread; "... coming back is absolutely the worst thing he can do." ?! Hyperbole sure, but I don't understand. If Larrier can turn it around via basketball in Czechoslavakia there is surely some upside to working hard and improving within the NBA radar screen at UConn. Might be a bad fit for both, but if so, that says more negative than positive about Larrier and his pro aspirations.

He'll absolutely get a G League shot. Being that height, with that length, that bounce, with that smooth stroke. He might benefit from more spacing, more coaching, and 2 years off the ACL. He has a ready made built in excuse as well, being one year off the ACL.

NBA cares about potential, not what you are.

Reaction Score
On the face of it, we are a bit hamstrung as far as scholarships go at the moment. Hard for Hurley to put his own stamp when he's committed to bringing everyone back. We've only got one available without Akinjo.

I think Hurley tells the guys they have spots but will be very honest to some they will not see the floor. A transfer would not surprise me due to this.

Reaction Score

I'd be surprised if we still only have two available next year.

Reaction Score

I didn't get the sense that he's committed to bringing them all back. It seemed to me he was calming everyone and letting them know that they are welcome but I doubt he'll allow the lesser contributors stay if he has some real talent he can bring in.

Reaction Score
I didn't get the sense that he's committed to bringing them all back. It seemed to me he was calming everyone and letting them know that they are welcome but I doubt he'll allow the lesser contributors stay if he has some real talent he can bring in.
I agree with this 100%. I think Hurley has a plan in place personnel wise.

Reaction Score
Tell us how you really feel :) I get it, you don't like Larrier. I strongly feel that objectively people will have a much different opinion of him away from this fanbase and program.

I thought D Daniels had very legit shot at NBA, not sure how injury impacted him or what he ended up doing this year (think was in G league for a bit) and see Larrier as not as good as Daniels. Both a bit stiff and not real agile to go with lanky frames (a real necessity if not beefy). Deandre was a better driver, shooter, rebounder and defender as far as I remember. Just see Larrier as just not good enough to be an NBA level player, and if he wants to be he needs to get real "specific one on one here is what you need to do to improve you individual skills" type training. This would be more available if he were a pro and could devote all his time to physical training and skill training (and no NCAA rules restricting practice time and coach contact).
Rodney seems to have improved nicely post UConn, maybe that is Larrier's ticket.

Reaction Score
Cox would be a horrible hire for URI. They are on a upswing. They don’t need a first time guy learning how to run a program on the fly. No matter how well he recruits
I tend to agree. If URI wants to keep this momentum, go after a guy like Oats or Odom.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom